It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Hard to say what the computer problem was, but at least you seem to have resolved it.

Yep a man cannot live without his television. You got to have more then IPT. :rabbit:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have a 2.6 GHz P4 set in the Asus P3PE-X and some wires to redo to the MB before I can fire it up and check the board finally.

And I have a picture!

I'll go find the camera and put it up...

orange

Tagline
It ain't been borned yet.

I have the power switch and have to mod that spot slightly and one of the front panel tabs is a little flaky looking but I can start it soon with a Windows drive of SOME SORT.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
It's got a ways before it's ever named...

Now, I think I finally figured out why the Micron (Valerie( just did the same thing again...I opened the door and found the PSU was pretty warm again!

Am I supposed to connect a certain plug and power some internal FAN???

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
More then likely the Power supply has an internal fan, and no it should be hard wired in to the power supply. If it isn't running that could lead to the power supply and or motherboard/cpu overheating and probably lock the computer up or even just shut it down. The bios has a certain temp for the cpu and or motherboard that when exceeded will shut the computer down.

I would guess the power supply fan is gumed up with dust bunnies or the fan bushing may be seized up. Either free up the fan, replace the power supply or put a case fan in the computer.

orange

Tagline
Should the PS fan spin somewhat freely when spun by hand?

orange

Tagline
That's supposed to be a 300W PS! 230W ain't gonna hack it, and that's most of my other PSUs I have saved up.

orange

Tagline
Back on Delia for a bit while I update and find a manual for Vera/OptiPlex 380 to figure out how to get a floppy drive in that spot where it's supposed to go. I await your answer, anyone, about the state of the PSU fans as I described it.

orange

Tagline
I did NOT get a coughing fit blowing out the PS so I suspect it was fairly clean already and there MIGHT be one suspect cap although it really doesn't look that bad and I can't fully tell visually. The only thing I can really try is to put the cover back on, reinstall it and watch the fan. the this is that it passed when checked by a good power supply tester.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Should the PS fan spin somewhat freely when spun by hand?
Yes the fan should spin freely by hand or even by blowing at it.

That's supposed to be a 300W PS! 230W ain't gonna hack it, and that's most of my other PSUs I have saved up.
A 230 watt power supply should work fine.

Back on Delia for a bit while I update and find a manual for Vera/OptiPlex 380 to figure out how to get a floppy drive in that spot where it's supposed to go. I await your answer, anyone, about the state of the PSU fans as I described it.
The case has a spot for a floppy drive but there are not any connections on the motherboard for a FD. The power supply also does not have any extra connectors to power a floppy. They simply used an old case design for the 380. The motherboard doesn't have an ide port either. It only has three sata ports for drives.

I did NOT get a coughing fit blowing out the PS so I suspect it was fairly clean already and there MIGHT be one suspect cap although it really doesn't look that bad and I can't fully tell visually. The only thing I can really try is to put the cover back on, reinstall it and watch the fan. the this is that it passed when checked by a good power supply tester.
The power supply may put out the proper voltages when cool, but if the fan isn't spinning and it heats up then the voltage and current may sag significantly making the computer shut down.

orange

Tagline
I think 230W is some what gutless, especially it it's possible to add an ATA 100 or 133 PCI IDE card (well, it's a bit tight with the video card, even though it will be on the bottom PCI slot and not the stub...I could add another optical drive and 1-2 more IDE hard drives almost immediately...

You rigged a small CPU fan to the video card, might one of my PVI card vent fans do the trick?

Which side is that fan on anyway?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I think 230W is some what gutless, especially it it's possible to add an ATA 100 or 133 PCI IDE card (well, it's a bit tight with the video card, even though it will be on the bottom PCI slot and not the stub...I could add another optical drive and 1-2 more IDE hard drives almost immediately...

You rigged a small CPU fan to the video card, might one of my PVI card vent fans do the trick?

Which side is that fan on anyway?
I wouldn't go adding more drives to the Dell as there isn't really room for more. There is a second bay next to the primary drive, if you purchase one of the dell drive caddys. They want about $5 or so on ebay. You will need a sata cable to reach down there too, but with a 500GB Primary drive you shouldn't really need to add any more internal drives. If you really need more storage, and in that case I would buy a 1tb drive and clone the 500gb drive over to it.

If you want to pull the fan off off the graphics card, it is kind of a toss up on the 6600, it may or may not run ok without a fan. A vent fan may work fine for it.

If you have a small fan like an 80mm you could piggy back it on the the side of the old power supply sure, or you could open up the power supply and put a new fan it. The fan should go the direction of the arrows on it. Power supplys fans always pull air through the power supply and send it out the back of the power supply, The fans can either be on the front of the back or even the bottom of the power supply. I still think the 230w psu will work fine even with three or four drives in the computer you have it in. I ran specs on the Dell 380 you have an under a full load it would only draw 145 watts, with probably 70 or 80 from the graphics card. A P4 should draw anymore then a quad core and the 6600 should draw that much juice either.

orange

Tagline
I was asking myself about the PCI card fan. I was hoping that by putting it right below the video slot it might help that out and eliminate the need for the added on fan...

or at least I could tape it back in place do it's not all loose.

Now, I'm still not all that certain as to why I get that secondary power warn at least ever other boot. I did some really creative work to get it where I have it.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I was asking myself about the PCI card fan. I was hoping that by putting it right below the video slot it might help that out and eliminate the need for the added on fan...

or at least I could tape it back in place do it's not all loose.

Try it out I guess. That video card may work without a fan as it doesn't generate much heat unless your room temp is real high. I know they made 6600 cards with just a heatsink and no fan.

orange

Tagline
At least I can get this with no trouble...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kvX7TFA4jV0?rel=0" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Comcast just rolled out a free doubling of download speed; I'm getting over 57Mbit/sec now. :-o

CC Performance BB.jpg

To Texas.jpg

Last edited: