Cathy Has Returned

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
If she can beat the Yamaha, she would likely go into a triamp system in the end powering the midrange driver, loafing along. If not back up to the HPM200's.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Lee I have one more Series I 700 here that I think I will fully comp with new chassis, but down the road post Pandemic. Are the cooling fins available as new components or do you have old stock?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Anything else different with the fins? Size , material , finish, thermal properties?
Fin thickness is a uniform 0.125" throughout instead of the taper on the original heatsinks. Nice rounded corners instead of the sharp corners on the originals. Deeper, better black anodize than originals. Other than those differences, they look the same.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I like how you signed inside the plate of my WOPL, the Badge on the side is also nice.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Had some noise issues with Cathy. I had not adhered to the star ground notes in this one. I had 3 separate grounds going to the chassis and one from the input ground to the ground bus. I was sitting at 2.5 MV on both channels. After cleaning up the grounds, I still had over 2 MV. On a series I the output wires leave the bus on the bottom. I unbundled the outputs, B+.B-, and the shielded pair kept them away from each other, and added another inch to the board standoff, lots of room to do that with Ser I meters. It was very audible through the horns, the dreaded 60 hz hum. Residual noise is now 420 uv....I'll take that any day with the backwall still stuffed with sockets.
Had a biasing issue with the right channel. Drove me nuts for an hour or so, traced it to a loose driver pin socket. Removed the driver, cleaned the pin and socket and pinched the socket tighter, holds steady now..
Back on the horns...love the black hole for noise...If you can't hear any noise through these horns at idle, the amp is truly quiet.
Waiting on some snubber caps for the Power supply caps as per Scott's request then she'll be on her way back.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That was actually residual noise expressed in millivolts, and finally microvolts!!