Cathy Has Returned

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have a boxful in the garage...I'll dig em out tonight...I think I have some that will work .

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I work with Amphenol a lot, so if you let me know what exactly you need (number of contacts and amperage for each contact; form factor [size] limitations, if any etc.) I can find you one.

But, if it's just "filtered" A/C I'd go with the 20-amp version of the standard computer plug. The blades re flat, instead of vertical on the ones we all recognize. Might be a good fit for you.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Have to point out that the effectivity of your capacitor bank will be substantially reduced by in line connectors and wire length both of which are ohmic and inductive in nature. You will get DC performance and very low frequency performance but will rapidly lose any ability to reduce higher frequency content by outboarding. The amp will run longer after you turn it off but there is probably a DC protect installed which will ruin that experience for you too.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Have to point out that the effectivity of your capacitor bank will be substantially reduced by in line connectors and wire length both of which are ohmic and inductive in nature. You will get DC performance and very low frequency performance but will rapidly lose any ability to reduce higher frequency content by outboarding. The amp will run longer after you turn it off but there is probably a DC protect installed which will ruin that experience for you too.
Will make the location of the cap box as close as is physically possible so wire length will be very short.

You will get DC performance and very low frequency performance but will rapidly lose any ability to reduce higher frequency content by outboarding.

Seems you are saying HF response will be degraded? Maybe you could explain a bit more, this outboarding term? And would there be a technique to mitigate other than minimize wire length? The ohmic portion of this will be mitigated by 10 ga wire (planned) , with short wire lengths, paralleled low esr caps.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I mean that a cap bank separated from the primary on board caps which are located very close to the load will lose the effectivity of the larger capacitance you are adding when separated by wire lengths which act as inductors. The load will see a larger capacitance at DC but as the load frequency increases (i.e. the output to the speaker load), that extra capacitance will diminish due to the wire length and connector inductance due to the physical separation. The shorter the runs the better. Even with the relatively short runs from the bulk caps to the supply wiring on the stock PL back wall wiring, you witnessed PL adding high frequency film caps to the ends of those short wire runs to combat the inductive effects of even those short wires. The WO backplanes have been loaded to the physical extent possible with larger film bypass caps for exactly the same reason, combatting inductance of any wire runs.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Ok, so shortest possible wires, no connectors.

Anything else that I can do within the capacitor box or within the amp to combat the effect, or that's it?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ok, so shortest possible wires, no connectors.

Anything else that I can do within the capacitor box or within the amp to combat the effect, or that's it?
Yes, run the positive and negative wires to the external cap bank directly adjacent and parallel to each other, with wire having as thin an insulation as possible, such as M22759/11 wire which has a 600V rating and extremely thin Teflon insulation on it. That will reduce the inductance to the minimum you can achieve.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Lee looks like best to leave the connectors out of the equation anyway.

Joe, was planning on connecting one bank to one of the main caps, the other to the other main cap of amp, total 4 wires.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Cathy back home and sounds like a different girl. Much better then when she was last singing. Lows, highs, soundstage, seems all is improved. Can't really understand it all but am happy she's back and better then ever. Thanks Lee! Cabbage case left today with my last 700 back to ya for major surgery.