Cathy Has Returned

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Was thinking on ordering 2 of these, populate with a dozen caps and stick in a box next to a WOPL to around double the capacitance in the PS. Anything I should be aware of or ensure that I do other than don't get electrocuted?

BlueCrab

Journeyman
As you increase the power supply capacitance, the on-time of the diodes in the bridge rectifier gets shorter and shorter, which increases the peak current that the diodes must conduct. I have no idea what the peak current demands are with the present power supply capacitance or even if it is approaching the specified maximum, but be aware of this going forward. What do you hope to improve by doubling the power supply capacitance?

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
As you increase the power supply capacitance, the on-time of the diodes in the bridge rectifier gets shorter and shorter, which increases the peak current that the diodes must conduct. I have no idea what the peak current demands are with the present power supply capacitance or even if it is approaching the specified maximum, but be aware of this going forward. What do you hope to improve by doubling the power supply capacitance?
Thanks for the heads up, I do believe the rectifier is quite the beefy one so I believe, dunno for certain, it will be fine.

Hope to stiffen the power supply and see the effect to the overall amp performance. Watt's output to PS capacitance ratio is quite low on these amps if you compare them to other hifi designs. I've seen preamps with much more than the PL's have. The small case is a big reason we are where we are I suppose. I have a feeling the amps would respond well to more power storage. We shall see!

If anyone has tried this already and can report about it would be much appreciated.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
If you intend to use 4 terminal capacitors, that Chinese board appears to be laid out incorrectly. The 2 outriggers on electrolytic caps that have 4 pins specifically call out no connection to the 2 outrigger posts. They are for mechanical support only and must be isolated from both + and - poles.

If you are using 2 pin, 10mm spacing caps, they will work OK.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cathy does sound good, been listening all afternoon and up till now....sometimes even forgetting it's a quasi...

The copper heatsinked beauty is up next for a G board
Chassis take an end shock Lee? Looks like a 400 chassis I just picked up recently.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
160VDC caps in mind?
Yeah, I originally was looking at 100V but then thought, why do what PL did? I will likely use it on 400 or 700 so will be good for both. While I have your attention Joe, can you think of a good 4 way connector I could use that would handle the amperage? It would be nice to be able to plug it in to the side/back of an amp. If I don't use a connector it will be hard wired, which is ok, but I move amps in and out more frequently than most.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, I originally was looking at 100V but then thought, why do what PL did? I will likely use it on 400 or 700 so will be good for both. While I have your attention Joe, can you think of a good 4 way connector I could use that would handle the amperage? It would be nice to be able to plug it in to the side/back of an amp. If I don't use a connector it will be hard wired, which is ok, but I move amps in and out more frequently than most.

Amphenol..