What cartridge are you using?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
excellent. I was going to buy a used one and retip it with the 2M Black Stylus since they both have the same body (Can't find a Black or Bronze cartridge only, just complete cart/stylus).. I looked around and read so may "this is THE cartridge" that I said screw it. I have not read anything bad about the Black or Bronze and my only concern was whether I need a spacer with the Rega (I see some rega dealers putting these on their tables) or a weight with the SL-1210. I'll play with them when I get settled in soon.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Get that sucker running Lee.

Got no complaints with my 2M Red and Blue carts. Let us know what you think about the Bronze.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Know how that is. I've got a pretty good pile in the corner...come to think of it there's 4 1/2 tt's sitting there, and another possibly on its way soon.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I've had two of those HKs with the Rabco arm- an ST-8 back in the '80s and an ST-7 within the last 10 years. They're nicely designed as far as the tracking mechanism goes, purely mechanical and reliable if they're working correctly. You MUST have that sucker perfectly level, though.

The ST-7 got a little sticky after a while, I ended up giving it away along with an AT440. For some reason that cart was way too bright with that arm, but works fine (outstanding!) with my Dual 1229Q.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Speaking of cartridges, I've been playing around with different needles for my Shure V15VxMR. I had a JICO SAS in there until a couple weeks back when I accidentally trashed it in a horrible accident trying to hold too many things with too few hands.

So, I stuck my old N97xe stylus on there and at first it was really nice to hear that old less sparkly Shure sound without the JICO. But, it started to feel a bit bland so I thought I'd play around a bit since I had a SC35C body with its original stylus and an N35X stylus, which I had grabbed cheap with an eye toward using them on my Rek O Kut project. Both fit the V15VxMR mechanically. And, I've been reading people have measured and the SC35C apparently is electrically almost a dead ringer for the V15VxMR as well as the Shure Whitelabel. So, I popped on the 3-5 gram tracking original stylus on there and it didn't sound bad and was definitely not as veiled as the N97xe, but for my old Dual table, higher compliance was necessary. It was mistracking a bit and causing a bit of fuzziness; just not a good match. So, I threw on the N35X, which is the same conical stylus but has a higher compliance, tracking from 1-3 grams. Much better, nice balanced and solid sound. I actually kind of like a decent conical stylus for the low record wear, ease of set up, etc... And this one was impressing me with a good overall tonal balance. Still it didn't track quite as well as the N97xe stylus or the JICO though. Mostly it works out just fine, but my old house and rickety wooden floors mean footfalls can cause the combo to occasionally hop if you step on the wrong board.

Fortunately, I discovered that there is a Shure N44GX also sharing the same stylus and able to fit the same bodies but with still higher compliance, tracking at .75-1.5 grams. Have one on the way, and looking forward to hearing how this one sounds and tracks.