What cartridge are you using?

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Since I have to buy an other TT to complete my new Dynaco system ,
what do you think about Shure M97 ex ?
Is it a real replica of Shure V15 IV ?
To be honest i haven't decided yet the TT : probably an old Dual .
Dual TTs were compatible with Shure .
Ciao
Marco

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Ciao
Marco
Both of those Shure Cartridges are very respectable, the V15 Type IV would be a bit better, but the M97xe certainly wouldn't disappoint being almost as good. Upon research I find the V15 Type III uses a boron cantilever, where as the M97xe uses an aluminium cantilever. It would be of great benefit to use a JICO replacement stylus as they are much better than the standard ones.

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Ciao
Marco
A couple of weeks ago I got an email reply from Bill Neuman over at fixmydual.com. I asked his cartridge recommendation for the Dual 1219 he repaired for me. He recommends the Shure M97 all the way. I figured that "Mr. Dual" would know best.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I have finally found THE cartridge.........for me, at least. They are an obscure brand that I had never heard of, back in the day anyway. I am running one of these on my Thorens TD-124 with an SME 3009 (non-improved) and nothing I own compares to this cartridge. I do know that the compliance can be an issue depending on your particular tonearm. I'm just saying that you should buy one while they are available, as they are no longer in production. I don't know how this seller ended up with all these cartridges, but all I can say is WOW...

They blow every cartridge I own away..

The model that is still available on the Bay is the Acutex 410. It is the elliptical stylus version of the cartridge. AWESOME....

Just do a search for Acutex 410, and it should bring up the seller in Italy. Usually takes about two weeks to arrive. You can buy either one or two...and I would recommend just going ahead and buying two....or four.... $61.31 for two, or 43.80 for one. Shipping is $13.48... and I think he can ship up to 4 cartridges for that amount of shipping.

I was turned on to this cartridge by a guy I met in Florida who rebuilds vintage turntables. I was looking for a deal on a Stanton 681EEE at the time..(Pickering XV-15) I'd love to hear if anyone else is a fan of the Acutex after a test spin..
Sutton, I pulled the trigger on 2 of these carts this morning. The eBay seller is ebusinesspoint. I'm hoping this will be a good match for my Stax UA7-cf arm. It's rated as a medium compliance arm so I think it would work fine.
On another note, I bought an extra headshell for my are from a guy in St. Petersburg, Russia a few weeks ago. My first purchase from Russia and it arrived in a couple of weeks.
I do remember in the early eBay days, we always steered people clear from any purchases out of Italy. At the time, the postal system was the biggest issue. Looking at this seller's feedback and your recommendation, it looks like that's working MUCH better than 10 years ago. Thanks for the recommendation on the cart! I can hardly wait.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
A couple of weeks ago I got an email reply from Bill Neuman over at fixmydual.com. I asked his cartridge recommendation for the Dual 1219 he repaired for me. He recommends the Shure M97 all the way. I figured that "Mr. Dual" would know best.
Dual raccomanded Shure for all models.
Good idea to use Jico stylus .
An other question : Is Ortofon MC 20 suitabale with SME II or SME III ?
I know that these 2 tone arms were designed for low weight carts , expecially for Shure V15 ,
but since I have an old Ortofon Step up transformer , another possibility is to find a TD 160 super
with SME .
Ciao
Marco

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The M97xE is no V15 type IV, it's an adequate cart but not inspiring in the least. What do you expect for under $100?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I hope you like the Acutex as much as I do. I really think it is among the best cartridges I own. As to the Shure M97...I find it a bit subdued, sort of rolled of in the high frequencies. I did get the SAS from Jico and it made it a different cart altogether, but I still love the Acutex. I also do like the Audio Technica AT120E and the AT150MLX. I also own the Ortofon Red and Blue, as well as the OM10...SO, I do have quite a few carts rolling around.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Acutex!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yessir........
I have ordered from the seller several times, and have only had one problem. The order I placed in August never arrived. I emailed the seller and he re-sent the order. So, I hope you have good luck. My orders typically arrive in less than two weeks. They seem to be a very responsible group of folks. I wish I had discovered them and their product several years ago when they still had inventory of the 300 Series. or the better 415 and 420STR. I only found out about them when they had a few of the 412STR cartridges left and then transitioned into the 410E ones. For the money though, I think these represent the best bargain of the bunch.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts..and I'm glad a couple of you have taken the plunge.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I was just saying that I was looking for a Pickering when he told me about these. I stopped buying or even looking for the BEST cartridge after buying one of these (Acutex). They are THAT good.

Sorry if I was unclear Orange....
You were clear, mine is DEAD.

Oh crap, I've had this complete Empire 2000E cart with probably a generic needle sitting over <<<<--there waiting to be unpacked for ages and I just looked to see what the heck it was ;-0

It's Christmas!

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I know someone on AK that has several boxed Acutex carts. He offered them to me last year, maybe I will get in touch with him to get one or two

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
They blow every cartridge I own away..
That looks suspiciously similar to the Empire carts from the late '70s. I had a 999 PE/X.

You's are gonna laugh at me: I mounted it in a Glaser-Steers record changer, replacing an Astatic 17D ceramic cart in a General Electric console stereo. Had to use a Radio Shack preamp to raise the level for input into a tube amp. Believe it or not, I thought it sounded marvelous!

5758541653_9e1901c471_z.jpg

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
As to the Shure M97...I find it a bit subdued, sort of rolled of in the high frequencies.
The M97xE is no V15 type IV, it's an adequate cart but not inspiring in the least. What do you expect for under $100?
Dual raccomanded Shure for all models.
I thought the M97xE was downright muddy with my PL-L1000 linear tracker. The Ortofon Super OM30 was a lot more open and detailed.

Waaay back a long time ago I was using a friend's Dual 1229Q with my first stereo (Heathkit!). It had a V15/III mounted on it- have to say that this was the first time I actually heard HIGH fidelity. I'll have to mount the M97 on the Dual and see what I get, as for now It's unused.

BTW: What alignment method are the most of you's using? I'm using a Baerwald protractor, sounds pretty decent to me...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
That looks suspiciously similar to the Empire carts from the late '70s. I had a 999 PE/X.

You's are gonna laugh at me: I mounted it in a Glaser-Steers record changer, replacing an Astatic 17D ceramic cart in a General Electric console stereo. Had to use a Radio Shack preamp to raise the level for input into a tube amp. Believe it or not, I thought it sounded marvelous!

View attachment 26633
You should have seen my first table Mark. Was a 78 console unit changer that my father took out in order to modernize my grandfathers console mono unit with a BSR style changer instead. The hand me down 78 that came out got reworked by yours truly by carefully and patiently filing down the motor shaft to make it into a 33-1/3 unit. It was a tank of a TT unit and a real POS as a turntable (hum, rumble and the whole works) but I was 11 or 12 at the time and it was a starter so I was happy. Had a flip over Astatic ceramic stereo cartridge installed after the tone arm was rewired and it connected to my Eico single ended 4W stereo amp. Signal to noise was awful but it was mine. :)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
On my Dual 1229Q, the cartridge that was on it, when I picked it up at the mini flea market was a Shure V-15 Type III. I replaced the stylus with an inexpensive Tonar VN35E. This turntable with that cartridge are a great match.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Now that's a cool story Joe, you been at this a LOOOOOOOONG time!!!
The stamped metal turntable had that fuzzy stiff velvet like coating on it that was I suppose high tech at the time. It was that old. I was happy that it was older than me Lee :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The stamped metal turntable had that fuzzy stiff velvet like coating on it that was I suppose high tech at the time. It was that old. I was happy that it was older than me Lee :)
What was the procedure for filing down the motor shaft??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What was the procedure for filing down the motor shaft??
Took the induction motor off the turntable and mounted on a fixture in a vise that I made to hold the shaft horizontal. Run the motor and go at the shaft with a file, ending up with a jewelers file at the end. I knew the rough diameter I needed to get to by arithmetic and I used my dad's micrometer to get it close. Final filing was done in conjunction with reinstalling the motor and running the table with a strobe disc to get it right on with a neon light. It was an idler wheel table so the arithmetic was easy. It was an iterative process at the end. I don't think I would have the patience now to do that Lee