It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If you are going to load win 7 it is best to do a fresh install and of course make sure you buy the correct version for your comptuer either 32 bit or 64 bit. Also run the win 7 compatibilty software on each computer to make sure they will work with it. No sense buying a license if you cannot use it.

The retail version can be installed one one computer then removed from the same computer an installed on a nother computer later on. The
OEM version is pretty much married to the first computer it is installed on.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I ran it on this one, have to have an install on the Evo to start with (it's formatted there's no OS). Maybe tomorrow when my friend comes over, we can do a clean XP install.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Well, I got the floppy back on THIS computer and the disk that came out of the Mavica brought up the dreaded unformatted disk message.:angry1:

I'll regroup and try that Chez Orange update in DIY again. Still getting floppy failing on the Dell and I put a new one in, will try the cable.

orange

Tagline
I don't have Photoshop on this yet so I used Paint and vB only wants to post 4 of 5.

orange

Tagline
Okay, I've got ImgBurn to make ISO etc files for DVD but right now it's still all Geek to me and I'll ask the guy who recommended I install it in the first place (some time ago on ther DELL) and see about making copies of the Dell media files.

So I gather.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Looks like you can upgrade those computers to win 7 32 bit.

And yes Imgburn works to burn an iso file to a bootable disc. I have used it many times.

orange

Tagline
I want to make CD-Rs to install files not ISOs necessarily but right now the main problems involve not having Windows like my discs or burners or whatever...can't make a floppy in one case for bookmarks, they can't be burned to CD for whatever reason...still a bit crippled and working on it but yet another DELL is coming Sunday from my friend...and hopefully XP for the Evo.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You should be able to burn you bookmarks to disc and or back them up into a file and copy or backup the file onto a disc.

orange

Tagline
You'd think, but it's never worked in years and years.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Why don't you use the IE export function and save the htm or html file to your desktop. From there you can move or copy it wherever you like.

In IE Go to File Import and Export/ Export to a file select favorites select the top line which reads favorites and it will select all of them from your browser then click next and it will ask you waht you want to name the file. Jump through the hoops and it will create an HTM file for you. then you simply copy of move the htm file to your new computer and go to the file import and export and simply choose inport fro ma file and it will import all your favorites into you new computers IE.

I am not sure about IE but if you used Firefox you can use the synch function and it will synchronize all your Firefox browsers for any of you computers you have online. You can bookmark something on one computer and the bookmark ends up getting added to your favorites on all your computers.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'm semi-reluctant to haul it back in here and put it back online...and I had to kill the new Spybot version as it made browsing hell.

Did you send the thumb and external HDD you were talking about?

And when I picked up the printer all cockeyed to move it to the bedroom and print a budget it puked ink, probably some from the reservoir on my hand and a blanket before I caught it. At least the carpet was not affected.

I can't burn a CD or make a floppy on the Dell right now. I told you Dells are neurotic and know when they are being replaced so they start doing stuff for sympathy.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Did you send the thumb and external HDD you were talking about?

No not yet as I haven't located them yet. You could put you bookmark backup HTML file on a floppy drive also. I have tons of bookmarks and my backup file is only 225kb.

orange

Tagline
When it actually registers, that is quite correct. Ain't a working. Perhaps if I am right about who got my USB floppy drive I'll get it back and try again. Three cables and a drive later and I still get Floppy drive(s) fail (40) and just hit F1. I can see it in BIOS and it wants a blue diskette or something.

orange

Tagline
It was a 'blue pill' metaphor...I was joking there.

I was given another Dell chassis, this one is an RDRAM Dimension 8250 so the RAM is of no use to me (all four banks brought a reading of 256...MB?) and the CPU is 2.4 GHz P4/533 MHz FSB/512 MB dso it's not going to run in my Dimension 2350 AFAIK...still I have another sans facia floppy drive, 80 GB Western Digital and NEC NR-9100A CD-RW, not sure if the PSU has enough guts for the 2350's needs but it seems fine...the PC powered up and booted XP fine.

The graphics card I pulled is a PNY GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR AGP, PNY PO# BUV7106. It is dual VGA with S-video, perhaps for that Asus.I am almost certainit WILL work on the Evo.

I already know what to do for driver support on that card.

Trying another floppy drive and a cable if needed.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I did locate the USB HD and a spare USB Thumbdrive over the weekend. I'll be sending them out late on this week. I'll locate some floppy cables and a few drives and add them to the shipment.

orange

Tagline
I'm going into the other room to work on the Dell's floppy situation.