WOPL running 4 Ohm speakers

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Why would you THINK you need to add another set of 901's in parallel???? Was the single set not loud enough??? Holy cow...... You can run 2 amps off your pre and run the other set off the second amp

Last edited:

plex

Journeyman
Maybe you think you ran them in parallel 50 years ago, maybe you wired them like the book says 50 years ago.
Dude anything not to believe me? I just changed the speaker wire not too long ago-I could take a picture of that too. Same old oxidated speaker wire we had from the 80s, soldered in parallel-we replaced it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dude anything not to believe me? I just changed the speaker wire not too long ago-I could take a picture of that too. Same old oxidated speaker wire we had from the 80s, soldered in parallel-we replaced it.
Well, don't know what to tell ya. The book says no way.................... and, it works with one set like the book says.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just so you know, attach your ohm meter to the parallel speakers. Its probably in the 3 ohm range and that can go lower at certain freq's.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
So evidence suggest something awry in the WOPL process. I'd send that amp to someone here who is well versed in the WOPL.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I understand about the cooling 4 fin vs 8 fin. But clipping is happening right away.
i too used an old 4 fin junker...i build an extra set of fins to boost cooling ....
i replaced the original rectifier to a bigger one that joe recommended....
i used white oaks power supply cap upgrade....
my transformer/rectifier setup gives be a full +-82v....more than enough to drive to full power...
i did use the white oak chassis because my junker did not have top and bottom plates and i wanted the improved power socket and extras included with the heavier chassis....
sniff recommends these aircom cooling fans for heavy use...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3325218315...aeJ5BixoJKUEDXeononl/KBPpTkk|tkp:BFBM2ITV5dpg
i have not done so yet....as i will build a new enclosure for my systems...and incorporate a cooling system when the time comes...
but, i dont push mine over 110 db....a little better than half way using schiit modi3 dacs with schiit magni 3+ and heresy preamps...
thats plenty loud enough for me...

Attachments