WOPL running 4 Ohm speakers

plex

Journeyman
Hello everyone I am getting distortion(clipping) when running 4 ohm speakers on the WOPL400. It's happening when I play it loud or increase the bass. I ran it with 8 0hm and played it loud had no distortion but it did stop playing and I had to reset the power. Okay before anybody says I should be running 8 ohm let me say that the PL400 has been running 4 ohm for 50 years without a problem. I have blown a fuse(8 AGX) maybe like twice when driving it extremely Loud back in the 90s when I acquired the system. My speakers setup is 2 Pairs of Bose901 series1 connected parallel. PL400 has been a true workhorse Im hoping that this problem is just a simple fix.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
What are the output meters showing when it clips? My 700 Pro WOPL drives 4 ohm stereo subs to brutal sound pressures with no issues.

plex

Journeyman
Oh, and before I built the 700, a 400 WOPL did the same.
I wanna say around 100 maybe bonucing around the red. Now the left meter looks like it's stuck at 30. The right meter has not worked for a very long time, it was dropped on the right side one day when the amp was moved. How come running a stock PL400 at 4 ohm produced no clipping?

plex

Journeyman
Okay I can put a fan. But the clipping is happening as soon as the volume is turned up not even hot yet.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
With the added performance a WOPL brings out, it also brings out a lot of heat. 4 fins is riding the fence on cooling. Put a fan to it

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You may have something wired wrong or maybe your bias is incorrect. What did you NOT replace when you WOPL'd it??? Are all the outputs new? New back planes? New control board? Maybe post some pics... Something is wrong with your build. Joes directions say the builds are VERY ADVANCED and many beginners have had problems. 1 cold solder joint could do it. If you had a tech build it, you would have recourse.

plex

Journeyman
We replaced everything except for the meters, transformer, and rectifier. Also I set and checked the bias exactly as the instructions said.