:lol:
No damage to 9Kappa woofers. Not so sure about ears. :smile:

20180315_162914084_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
:lol: One of those "oh shit" moments! I'm sure none of you guys have those.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
When I had bad fuse sockets in Blackie, my 8A fuses looked like that frequently LOL

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Na.....NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, there WAS that time you had the WOPL dialed in so good the neighbors called the cops...that had to be one of those moments ;)

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
This is one of the amps with SOA protection disabled. First demonstration that the fuses go before the amp or speakers. That's a good thing.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
What does SOA stand for and what does it do?
Ron,

SOA stands for "Safe Operating Area".

Wikipedia has this definition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_operating_area

Additionally:
Bob Carver's patent (US patent 3,727, 148) talks about his "energy limiting" protection circuit. This circuit allowed the output transistors to absorb more power, for short periods in the range of safe operation. "The utilization of the energy limiting circuit allows the number of output transistors to be reduced by as much as much as two-thirds....."
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub...T=D&ND=3&date=19730410&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

Ed

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Thanks for the explanation Ed. I disable SOA to allow the PL to drive the 9Kappas. Two impedance dips to 1 ohm. Like driving a short.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
"There are two limitations on the power handling ability of a transistor; average junction temperature and secondary breakdown. Safe operating area curves indicate IC – VCE limits of the transistor that must be observed for reliable operation; i.e., the transistor must not be subjected to greater dissipation than the curves indicate."

The data sheets for early transistors like the XPL909 (GM/Delco DTS411) and FPL909 (Fairchild FT411’s) did not contain S.O.A. specs or Ic-Vce plots. Many of the manufacturers made similar parts utilizing their own prefixes (i.e. Delco DTS411, Fairchild FT411, Motorola MJ411 and RCA411). Also, when testing transistors the pulse widths and duty cycles has not been consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer over the years. My best guess at this time is that the S.O.A. at 80V for these earlier transistors was a little less than 1 Adc.

“Second Breakdown Collector Current with Base Forward Biased”
MJ15024:
(Vce = 80Vdc, t=0.5s (non-repetitive): 2 Adc
MJ21194:
(Vce = 80Vdc, t=1s (non-repetitive): 2.5 Adc
MJ21196:
(Vce = 80Vdc, t=1s (non-repetitive): 2.5 Adc
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MJ21195-D.PDF (Also contains specs for MJ21196)

It is interesting to note that the MJ21194’s and MJ21196’s are “Total Harmonic Distortion Characterized”
Total Harmonic Distortion at the Output VRMS = 28.3 V, f = 1 kHz, PLOAD = 100 WRMS
hFE unmatched: THD 0.8%
(Matched pair hFE = 50 @ 5 A/5 V) hFE matched: THD 0.08%

See Figure 17 “Total Harmonic Distortion Test Circuit” in MJ21195/MJ21196 data sheet.
NOTE: I don’t see a value for the capacitor in the circuit. Perhaps Joe may have some ideas on what value to use.

Ed