WOPL running 4 Ohm speakers

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I am not exactly clear. Is it one or both of the diodes that we must remove?
If you only want to unclip the top half of the signal, remove D13L/R
If you only want to unclip the bottom half of the signal, remove D14L/R

If you want to unclip both top and bottom signal halves, remove both D13L/R and D14L/R

You have been warned and are on your own after that...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, not good just to run an extra set of 901's. I can buy a set of 901's for $3-$400, or I can blow up a $2000 amp just to do it.

That is one of the first things in my "New WOPL" handout all my customers get, no twisting extra sets of speaker wires together. There is a reason for that. Heat is our enemy and doing that will cause premature failure sooner rather than later and added stress on other components aint good either.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When driving 4 ohm speakers (which are quite likely not 4 ohms but something less than 4 ohms) The VI limiter is set to deliver 10.6A at 42.5V peak. This means that each output is providing ~3.6A. The 90V, 50msec (20 Hz) SOA rating of the MJ21195/96 pairs is 4A.

The SOA of the original PL909 transistors is far less than that of the MJ21195/96 transistors so you can guarantee that they were violating the rated SOA often.

Yes the VI limiter is set conservatively to protect the amp from failure.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
The VI limiter works as designed. I snub the 4 ohm condition at about the same watts out as 8 ohms for thermal reasons (PL let you blow your amp up if you wanted, I am trying to avoid that). The PL400/700 are not thermally designed to handle CW output at 4 ohms. You are aware of that.

The VI limiter will work anywhere along the linear spectrum when you are driving a load. When you hit around 42.5V peak into a 4 ohm load, you will begin to activate the VI limiter and the signal will flat top limiting the current into the load. That is exactly where you were at 30.05Vrms into your 4 ohm load (10.6A!!). A VI limiter responds to both the voltage and current that is going into the load. The simple spice model I sent you should help explain that, it is truly linear in nature and will protect anywhere along the signal spectrum that it needs to.
Joe
Good to know, So When when this happens what happens?, to the output to the speaker and/or the amp? any weird sounds in the speaker? how do you know it happens?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
This explanation will show what happens at SOA protection onset. SPICE models show the behavior at the 8 ohm and 4 ohm condition.

PS: it will do the same thing at 8 ohms when the amp encounters the limit imposed by the power supply voltages. That will not be the VI limiter engaging, it will be the limitation imposed by having either 80V rails (PL400) or 100V (PL700).

Attachments

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Joe
Good to know, So When when this happens what happens?, to the output to the speaker and/or the amp? any weird sounds in the speaker? how do you know it happens?
Sounds like distortion. When you hear someone say an amp sounds like shit into low impedance loads but fine otherwise, that is a possibility. Actually, I usually hard wire in my stupid switch. :)

Tagline
This explanation will show what happens at SOA protection onset. SPICE models show the behavior at the 8 ohm and 4 ohm condition.

PS: it will do the same thing at 8 ohms when the amp encounters the limit imposed by the power supply voltages. That will not be the VI limiter engaging, it will be the limitation imposed by having either 80V rails (PL400) or 100V (PL700).
Thanks Joe
I love Troubleshooting!

Tagline
Sounds like distortion. When you hear someone say an amp sounds like shit into low impedance loads but fine otherwise, that is a possibility. Actually, I usually hard wire in my stupid switch. :)
Thanks
The more information the better. :cool: I been playing around w this too Lol

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Why defeat the improved circuitry? I'd personally run one set of Bose 901 until I could build a second amp. Even if it looked like it might be a year or two. Looks like reliability is the trade off. Any issues are going to be time intensive and expensive to fix.