WOPL a Carver C-500 Amp.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Joe designed these and, last time I looked, he has those in stock - a nice touch for the rectifier circuit.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
I like the bridge PCB, is that something new on the market?
That little board is such a touch of class.
Such a neat and tidy way to add your snubbers.
That whole area has always been pretty congested and Joe's PCB cleans it up so well.
They are on the White Oak website with, and without the rectifier:
Audio Product eStore (whiteoakaudio.com)
"Always working on making it better....."

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
little more done for today from different positions. I hope to mount the transformer this weekend and apply power to the back wall and take measurements for all to see. Sure, a lot easier to work on without the transformer mounted. How's it look so far?

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
little more done for today from different positions. I hope to mount the transformer this weekend and apply power to the back wall and take measurements for all to see. Sure, a lot easier to work on without the transformer mounted. How's it look so far?
Gary do you really have the bridge rectifier mounted where it is in the picture? Not on the transformer?

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Gary do you really have the bridge rectifier mounted where it is in the picture? Not on the transformer?
Why do I feel I'm in trouble?
The Carver transformer does not have the Phase Linear cradle for the capacitors to rest on. The original capacitors were somewhat glued to the side wall. Also, carver was using a 25amp bridge. When I replaced the capacitors and added capacitor mount brackets, there did not seem to me to be enough room to safely mount my 50amp bridge. That is the reason for the relocation of bridge. I'm going to assume it's too close to the control board. I will tonight try to relocate by to the side wall and take pictures for your approval if that's what you're going to tell me. I kind of figured that was not my best option. Still learning and having fun...

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Gary, I see what you're saying from your photo in post#5.
I'd mount the caps in something similar to this.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3352495917...NB_S8D7Qg2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
.....on the chassis side wall with the rectifier also on that side wall secured with a bolt or machine screw.
Personally I'd ditch that crazy looking original rod thing and go with a copper buss bar drilled for soldering or aluminum drilled for Fastons.
Keep posting, it's interesting!

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Gibsonian, Thanks for the subjection on bridge relocation.
Joe is this better? You have any other ideas?
If this looks good to all, I'm going to continual only after I hear something back - good or bad.?

Attachments

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Gibsonian, Thanks for the subjection on bridge relocation.
Joe is this better? You have any other ideas?
If this looks good to all, I'm going to continual only after I hear something back - good or bad.?
I recommend you make every effort to mount the rectifier on the left chassis wall between the capacitors for the following reasons:
- Greater heat sink for the rectifier
- Keeping AC noise away from the main system star ground (buss bar).

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I recommend you make every effort to mount the rectifier on the left chassis wall between the capacitors for the following reasons:
- Greater heat sink for the rectifier
- Keeping AC noise away from the main system star ground (buss bar).
Agree fully. Gary wasn't it located there originally?

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Agree fully. Gary wasn't it located there originally?
Joe, Yes, they were located on the side wall. The old capacitors were glued to the wall and were 1.75" diameter. Carvers old bridge was 25 amp and small.
New caps are 2" in diameter, I used a larger 50-amp bridge and I replaced the glue with capacitors clamps. All this used up space on the side wall. I just did what I thought I could do. Will work on remounting bridge this weekend to side wall. I'll probably put the stub from the bus bar to side wall like it came back into place.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
More work completed tonight. Bridge mounted and wired in. Bypass capacitor soldered in across power capacitors. View of full comp left channel. (Right channel the same.) DC relay installed. Also note fuses located on right side above DC relay, for input to the new control board not mounted yet. (Will be 1/2 Amp rated fuses) And last picture, just an overview of project. I mounted the transformer tonight, and wired it in. I did not have panel fuse holders for the main fuses. There on order. Once I install them, I'm ready to apply power and start doing voltage measurements. How's it looks so far???

Attachments