WOPL a Carver C-500 Amp.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
Next project will be a Carver C-500 amp.
Going to rebuild the back wall to full comp. (Back wall parts already arrived. Power transistors by Joe.)
Going to replace the bridge rectifier with snubber capacitors with Joes kit.
Going to replace power capacitors with Joes kit.
Going to replace the control board with Joes kit.
Going to add a relay board using Dons kit. (Built upside down to fit Carver amp.)
Going to replace RCA Jacks.
Of course, I'm going to reuse the normal parts.
Looking at all the above, it's like I'm putting my Phase Linear into a Carver case.
This evening, I'll take some pictures of the amp. It's in poor shape, but I'm ordering a new face plate. The only item I know is bad is it's missing the front LED control boards.
All are welcome for the ride!!!
Gary.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
George,
This is what the meter board looks like. Not close the Joes boards. If i have to it just will not have meters.
Yup, the boards are totally different. I sent a member a few S2 boards last year to fix his Carver.
He needed the IC's or the LED modules to repair his boards as they were the same parts.
If you find you need IC's or modules I have several old boards left.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I spent 2 hours this morning stripping down my chassis. And then sent the rest of the day removing all that thermo paste that gets everywhere.
Whoever put the amp together had a deep spoon. paste was thick. All cleaned, will work a little more later this evening.

Attachments

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
The 400 relay board fits in the Carver amp, sort of. It has to be built with the parts on the backside.
It’s important to understand that the C 500 is built with one channel inverted. The black binding post on the inverted channels is actually the output of that channel. So the signal is affectively inverted twice.

My guess is under transient conditions, the power supply doesn’t get hit as hard. The first time you work on one of these you scratch your head for a while.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Yes, it does. I am going to rebuild the back wall to full comp, hard wired, since no back board replacements exists. Already have all power transistors from White Oak and other parts from Mouser Electronics.
I'm also replacing the control board with duel mono board from White Oak. Building it now. Dons relay board is done. See above files..

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
You should look up my thread on reworking the c-500
I did two with great success

look for

Carver C-500 upgrade to WOPL

Last edited: