WOPL a Carver C-500 Amp.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
What was the test criteria for checking the TO3’s to ground? Resistance readings will only find gross errors. A hipot would require all 3 pins of all of the transistors tied together with a minimum test voltage of about 500V. That’s not very practical.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
The criteria I use was from Joes instructions to "test for no shorts to the chassis." You are right, I don't have all the tools you do. I'm just a hobbyist enjoining my amp. More pictures showing my progress.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Left back plane of my Carver C-500 almost done. Thats all for tonight.
Hello
interesting layout. Your Mylar .33uf cap need to go from rail to ground . In the photos it appears to me they go from rail to output, but I may not see it correctly. Also you would be happy to add a 1.5uf metal film caps along wi these .33uf caps. I use 2 1.5 on each rail along with a .33 or .15 cap in this size amp.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Hello
interesting layout. Your Mylar .33uf cap need to go from rail to ground . In the photos it appears to me they go from rail to output, but I may not see it correctly. Also you would be happy to add a 1.5uf metal film caps along wi these .33uf caps. I use 2 1.5 on each rail along with a .33 or .15 cap in this size amp.
You sir are 100% correct. I did rail to output not rail to ground. I will correct this, this evening before I do anything else. Thank you. When you say to add 2 1.5UF metal capacitor, do you mean from rail to ground also? Both capacitors wired in parallel?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
You sir are 100% correct. I did rail to output not rail to ground. I will correct this, this evening before I do anything else. Thank you. When you say to add 2 1.5UF metal capacitor, do you mean from rail to ground also? Both capacitors wired in parallel?
Yes in parallel and space them apart

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
What's the purpose of all of the paralleled film caps? It is preferable that the common connection of the film caps be isolated from the chassis ground and connect directly to the ground bus bar. Likely won't make a difference, but that is best practice.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
What's the purpose of all of the paralleled film caps? It is preferable that the common connection of the film caps be isolated from the chassis ground and connect directly to the ground bus bar. Likely won't make a difference, but that is best practice.
Don,
I'm sure I will not be able to explain the parallel capacitors to your satisfaction. Your skill and knowledge are way above me. Remember, I'm just your everyday electronics hobbyists. I'm trying to follow a semantics plan. I do something and then display it here for all to say yes or no. Glen, (grapplesaw) has a couple of Carver c-500 amps under his belt. In post 32 above, he explains adding the paralleled film capacitors. 2 on each side per channel. My attached file picture was to get approval from him and everyone. Glen also commented: "interesting layout". (I hope that's good) I know from my two Phase linear 400 amps under my belt, that's what Joe suggest with one point grounding on the bus bar. For the life of me could not figure a way to ground my capacitors to the bus bar without it looking more like a bowl of spaghetti. I just hope what you said above "likely won't make a difference." Please keep me on my toes and let's get another amp up and running.
Gary

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
the film caps Make a difference.
They are there to deal with any inductance in the rail supply wires. The closer to the collector of the outputs the better they work. Spread evenly between the four outputs is best.