WOPL 700B Rev E board question

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
How were you going to run this amp without a preamp????
We use Debbie's Aerosmith 400 with just a Onkyo CD player. Does not get as loud as a preamp w/ 1.5mV output but it plays clearly. I have run the Clair with a Sony CD player stand alone also. I run the CV amp with only a Sony CD player out in the garage also

The symptoms I read about here previously, low output both channels, very little needle deflection, scratchiness sound eyc,,, just trying toremember who wrote it

He will be gettinga preamp Perry, I suggested one of your hotrodded C1'or maybe a nice Kenwood C2

Northwinds

Tagline
Rob is one of the good guys brothers, I would not have directed him otherwise. He's no dummy, very patient and methodical guy. One hell of a carpenter to!

I am the one who told him to check the amp with a CD player based on my own experience with the amps

ETLS

Journeyman
Tagline
---I probably have one somewhere...
Sound comes out, so it isn't mute. Left side crackles like a dirty pot, even when left alone. Turning the pot does not raise volume. It does drop out though, and it sends a thump to the speakers when it is first turned on.

The right side sounds normal, but even at three-quarters turn, the output is barely one-eighth turn of the Yamaha M-65 amp's output. I'll see if I can upload the two vids to youtube so you can "hear" them.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
The record vacuum fellow correct? I use mine a LOT! I use an old Sony TT for my cleaning spinner.
I'm using your cleaner & also good results with 'Groovenator fluid' I do the fluid & paint pad on the Sony. Then I go to a Spin Doctor with just distilled water & then suck it clean & dry with your wand back on the sony TT.. And I use a real Shop Vac with big suction. Can't swing Ultrasonic yet.

ETLS

Journeyman
Tagline
Is anyone close to Tyler Texas that would be willing to check it out and fix what is wrong? If so please let me know so I can make arrangements to get it there.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Two hours actually. DFW is big and I'm on the western side.

Rob, need to understand a little better what this situation is. You bought this from Edroom on AK. Did he disclose it had distortion in the left channel? Fred.

ETLS

Journeyman
Tagline
Nothing was said about distortion, it was said it had all the white oak bells and whistles, the full upgrades, new faceplate and knobs, and said it was perfect. I have no reason to doubt Ed's word, I'm not saying it was misrepresented, it traveled from Boston to Texas so something could have happened during shipping, maybe something was overlooked during rebuild/upgrade, I do not know what it is.

It's not perfect, but it can be. I don't expect any of you to work for free, but it needs something I cannot do for it to be perfect and I would hate to subject it to several thousand miles shipping both ways. It wouldn't be a problem for me to deliver the amp and return to pick it up if it's only a few hour drive.

If any of the fuses were blitzed, would both sides still have sound?

Once I had the amp set up for testing with the CD player and speakers hooked up, I was just a bit disappointed when I heard what I did. I just shut it all down and proceeded to swap out to the Sony integrated and then to the Yamaha M-65 to rule out the preamp involved with the Sony. I only hooked it back up after shooting the Yamaha video, to record the video of the sound coming from the PL.

I did let Ed know what is happening and invited him and Chuck to participate in this thread so we could possibly come up with what is going on, what has been done and quite possibly work out something satisfactory for all parties involved to rectify this.

We will see.

I do want this investment to be worth what I spent to finally have this amp, and for it to last long time.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Two of the AGX fuses are left and two are right. When one blows it sounds similar to how your amp sounds.

ETLS

Journeyman
Tagline
Three of the four appear to be new fuses, the fourth, is blown, and a different shape. The numbers are worn down enough I cannot read it with magnification.

20200122_110728.jpg

It was in the bottom right fuse holder.
20200122_110857.jpg

250v 5A is what the other three say.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If the replacement blows, then you have problems. The look of the blown fuse can tell you a lot. If it was a soft blow , it was probably a hot amp. If it went nuclear, it could be an output.

Northwinds

Tagline
That's some fucked up shit right there. I wonder how Edroom tested it with a blown fuse before he put it up for sale to validate the claim he made as to it being turn key