WOPL 700B Rev E board question

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
A very good friend of mine on AK biught Edroom's WOPL. Ed said the amp was built recently but he never said who the builder was, only that he was a highly respected AK builder

So if anyone here built the amp, please replay

The amp powers on but has low out put in both channels and a scratchiness sound. No fuses are blown, the amp does not get hot. It was tested with a CD player hooked directly in and using the amps volume pots as controls. The CD player was checked on a Sony intergrated and sounded fine. Put back on the WOPL and it does not sound fine at all

If this is a symptom of a known issue that causes it, anyone who may have an idea please post

The amp has Rev E, Don's DCP, WO light board, WO backplanes also installed, MJ95/96s, 15,000 160v cans installed. The new owner is a member here and he can post up any pictures. I asked him to pop on here when he gets a chance

I will note that being its a 700B, I immediately suspected the center screw on top plate not being cut down. I had Rob pull all 5 screws and they are all the same size. It does look like the center plate screw was pressing down on a white wire but does not look to have penetrated it

Also, if any servicing needs to be done that Rob cant be walked through, he lives in Texas which is close to Perry who I immediately thought of but I will wait and see if the builder is a member here. I know our top builders offer a lifetime guarantee, not sure about this other cat. Either way, Rob does not want to give up the amp so he wants it fixed

Lastly, Rob was concerned about the Direct Coupling switch on the back. I told him this should have been bypassed and it should not affect anything but... so possibly a DCP issue???

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Also has new black faceplate and Perry's famous 1000w WOPL insert for back lighting

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Not mine, I would have split the pot wiring from the meter drive wires...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The CD player was checked on a Sony intergrated and sounded fine

Remember, an integrated amp has a built in preamp and is not comparable to an amp. I have at times just used a source straight in to the amplifier but it is not the ideal way to check it. Did you check this amp with a preamp?????

ETLS

Journeyman
Tagline
---I probably have one somewhere...
I hadn't planned to run the amp without a preamp. I have not had the opportunity to either purchase a new or new to me one, or dig out my SX-828. I picked up the CD player so I could test it out, and then wait until i had my new shop built, so I could get stuff moved around where i could set it up.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I hadn't planned to run the amp without a preamp. I have not had the opportunity to either purchase a new or new to me one, or dig out my SX-828. I picked up the CD player so I could test it out, and then wait until i had my new shop built, so I could get stuff moved around where i could set it up.
I’d save what’s left of your hair and wait till you have things in place in the new shop. Without the necessary stuff at hand it’s all mute. Did you get the pun Perry??