What cartridge are you using?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Kinda figured it would be like that.....was the shaft hard?? Yeah, I know kinda personal....

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I just keep on adding or subtracting nickles I tape to the tonearm till it quits bouncing and cleans all the crud out of the grooves.
Record cleaning machines, who needs 'em...:toothy5:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Sutton, I pulled the trigger on 2 of these carts this morning. The eBay seller is ebusinesspoint. I'm hoping this will be a good match for my Stax UA7-cf arm. It's rated as a medium compliance arm so I think it would work fine.
On another note, I bought an extra headshell for my are from a guy in St. Petersburg, Russia a few weeks ago. My first purchase from Russia and it arrived in a couple of weeks.
I do remember in the early eBay days, we always steered people clear from any purchases out of Italy. At the time, the postal system was the biggest issue. Looking at this seller's feedback and your recommendation, it looks like that's working MUCH better than 10 years ago. Thanks for the recommendation on the cart! I can hardly wait.
Wow! My 2 cartridges arrived today. I just ordered them on the 3rd. That's really quick shipping out of Italy!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
What do you think about the cartridge? Have you had a chance to listen yet? They do need to be properly aligned and set up. I think they get better with time too. Maybe a little strident in the beginning...but man, I love mine!!!! I ended up with about 1.75 grams, but I think they recommend 2 grams or so..I'm anxious to hear what somebody else thinks.

So, what is the verdict?

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
What do you think about the cartridge? Have you had a chance to listen yet? They do need to be properly aligned and set up. I think they get better with time too. Maybe a little strident in the beginning...but man, I love mine!!!! I ended up with about 1.75 grams, but I think they recommend 2 grams or so..I'm anxious to hear what somebody else thinks.

So, what is the verdict?
Got it all mounted up in a spare headshell and you guessed it . . . a couple of the phono lead connectors broke off. I'll need to scavenge some from another cartridge or just wait for the 3 sets I ordered to show up. It's always something!
For the life of me I don't know why I don't just keep a few sets of those around and treat them like consumables. They're so small I should know that the damn things will just break here and there. Stand by.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
That is a beautiful Dual table. How does the V15 III sound with the Tonar stylus? I'm guessing it is awesome.. The stylus look to be NOS....is it a Shure or a Swiss one?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I didn't feel it was worth the expense to get a high-priced stylus for this cartridge. I can go by what I've read about Dual 1229Q turntables, and it seems Shure cartridges were the ones commonly used by Dual. I only paid $20 for the turntable and I have used it for some time in my downstairs bedroom. Picked up another Dual - a 1019.

Nando.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Some think that 1019 is THE Dual table to have. I want to think that it has the heaviest platter of any Dual table. My brother sent a 1019 (with Shure V15) home from Vietnam back in the late 60's, that I got to play with for a couple of years. Nice turntable with a unique and effective changer mechanism/spindle you could swap out for the single play spindle.

Check this out for the ultimate 1019 restomod:

http://doctordual.ca/chrome-dual/

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I met a fellow today for a C-list deal. I had sold him some gear before. I took the dissecting microscope, so when we met in a parking lot, I set the 'scope on the spoiler of his car, laid the phono cartridge on the stage, and dialed in the optics. The stylus was straight, and the diamond looked unworn. We took it back to the house, put it on the Sony, and played an LP. It sounded great, so I've now got a Shure V-15 P-mount for $40. It's not quite my holy grail of phono cartridges, but it's close.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Great deal on the cartridge, Laz. Can't go wrong with a Shure V15. I have a hankering to get a IV series. But, the III series is highly regarded, too.

Nando.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I didn't even know there was a P-mount v15...nice find.

i check the cartridge of every TT at the fleas....never know when someone threw a nice cartridge on a cheap ass table.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I didn't even know there was a P-mount v15...nice find.

i check the cartridge of every TT at the fleas....never know when someone threw a nice cartridge on a cheap ass table.
I often do the same - one time, I found a Micro-Acoustics cart on a Dual...$10 for both! When I got them home, I found the MA stylus was toast. :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2: