what are you listening to?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
And Larceny isn’t bad. But I’m just about done with this:

View attachment 40335
Nice stuff. Very nice stuff.

I'm currently trying to swear off enough CCI practice ammo to afford a litre of Bobby Dylan's Heaven's Door bourbon. Gotta find out if you're paying for whiskey or the name, you know. Maybe I can write it off to research, though. That stuff's pricey. After that, I'm on the hunt for a bottle of The Clover from my high school classmate, fellow DJ, best man, and life-long friend Bob Jones. And I just read about this stuff: Uncle Nearest 1856 - which is a high-end homage to Nathan "Nearest' Green, the slave who taught Dan Call and Jack Daniels how to make whiskey.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I've got quite a collection of whiskey at this point Bob, but I've not heard of either of those.

But, I am listening to your tape! And I like it so far!

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
You won't hear much about The Clover, Jim - it's sold only to members of golf & country clubs around the nation. Bob is Bobby Jones' grandson and handles the Bobby Jones brand for Jones Heirs, Inc. which includes him and two sisters and one sisters' son. I don't know who approached him with the idea for the Clover line - there's a rye, a bourbon, and a Tennessee whiskey - but it's marketed only through country clubs. Interesting concept, to say the least. There's a website. As for Uncle Nearest, it is brand new - there's an article in the NY Times about it and its founder as well as in the Nashville Tenneseean, which doesn't hide it behind a paywall.

Glad you're liking the female Americana stuff.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
“We play both kinds of music here. Country AND Western.”

I’m into anything at least once. And maybe in a decade I’ll decide I liked what I didn’t like before. And vice-versa. So I have a lot of media (predominantly CD) and it’s all over the map now. When I was younger (pre-teens) I was also open to anything, then in middle/high school age I got rather narrow with my focus, Rush, Yes, Police, Led Zeppelin was about it. A few others. Remember the Hooters?!?

A bit older, I branded into the spin off bands: Robert Plant's solo work (which I still like) Stewart Copeland’s other bands (animal logic among others) and then looking at producers, paying more attention to broadcast music... picked up a few unknown (to me) bands based on suggestions in the book “get better sound” and now I’m way into Jazz, in all its forms. I’m on an Oz Noy binge lately.

Now I can buy CDs for a buck (got another few today) and life is good. Still prefer vinyl but CDs are tough to beat for commercial music. Even the worst skipping scratched disc can be brought back with elbow grease and care. Not so with vinyl. Although I hope to build an ultrasonic cleaner this year. Maybe.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
“We play both kinds of music here. Country AND Western.”...
And there IS a difference. Kinda like pulled pork and brisket. Just ask anyone from Texas.

And yes, I remember the Hooters. Was listening to the four cuts from Nervous Night that I actually liked just last night...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You will be happy to know I like pulled pork and brisket both.

And that I'm into side two of the XLII-S tape... Your TDK is on deck.

I actually saw the Hooters in concert... Might have been my first 'mainstream' concert. I believe I was 15 since I didn't have a driver's license yet, though I had been driving for several years at my Dad's shop... We had a Dune buggy, wrecker and Renault 16 wagon. The Renault was a 4-speed column shift. The others were typical floor shift.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Got a gift card for my birthday, checked my collection to make sure I wasn't buying duplicates, and went to Walmart:

WarMaltLPs_750w.jpg

So I wonder: that little naked baby is an adult by now- is he embarrassed that everyone can see his winkie?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
“We play both kinds of music here. Country AND Western.”

I’m into anything at least once. And maybe in a decade I’ll decide I liked what I didn’t like before. And vice-versa. So I have a lot of media (predominantly CD) and it’s all over the map now. When I was younger (pre-teens) I was also open to anything, then in middle/high school age I got rather narrow with my focus, Rush, Yes, Police, Led Zeppelin was about it. A few others. Remember the Hooters?!?

A bit older, I branded into the spin off bands: Robert Plant's solo work (which I still like) Stewart Copeland’s other bands (animal logic among others) and then looking at producers, paying more attention to broadcast music... picked up a few unknown (to me) bands based on suggestions in the book “get better sound” and now I’m way into Jazz, in all its forms. I’m on an Oz Noy binge lately.

Now I can buy CDs for a buck (got another few today) and life is good. Still prefer vinyl but CDs are tough to beat for commercial music. Even the worst skipping scratched disc can be brought back with elbow grease and care. Not so with vinyl. Although I hope to build an ultrasonic cleaner this year. Maybe.
Hey Bob, I have k d lang's 'Torch and Twang' on lp, a used record store find for a couple bucks, I could make you a tape...Dolby on or off? On a nice vintage TDK, I think off is better, PM me...K?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
INXS< Live Baby Live in front of 72,000 throbing heaving fans at Wembly Statium in London.These huge shows are dinosaurs now......along with most live music so, very, very sad. Of course, with Michael Hutchence gone INXS Is gone as well. Audence ch is re[paying it at 11pm Pst, up nrxt Black Sabbarh live/ Dig It!!!!!