what are you listening to?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Bob: The Maxell MX tape is a wonderful tape to record on. One of the best recordings I've heard was done on a vintage Maxell MX 46 by Shaun (pioneercollector) using his Nakamichi 1000 ZXL. He recorded straight from vinyl and the album was Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's "The Punishment Of Luxury."

a0a1d235-226e-4103-b8cb-cad833fcc5ca_zps9mytr3wp.jpg

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Bob: On the subject of outstanding Maxell cassettes, I had the pleasure of buying and recording on the Maxell UDS-II 90 tape for a friend in the U.K..

I have two recordings to complete, first, but after that I will record my latest project on one of these for you.

20191216_193459_zpsvsy7fvby_InPixio_zpsbsvdg6ip.jpg
20200111_135304_zps87fqyr6e.jpg

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Bob: On the subject of outstanding Maxell cassettes, I had the pleasure of buying and recording on the Maxell UDS-II 90 tape for a friend in the U.K..

I have two recordings to complete, first, but after that I will record my latest project on one of these for you.

View attachment 39952
View attachment 39953

Nando.
Thanks for the heads-up, Nando. I am already anticipating it! A good listen will be great in the midst of this most English-like winter weather we've got here in the southeastern US of A.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks for the heads-up, Nando. I am already anticipating it! A good listen will be great in the midst of this most English-like winter weather we've got here in the southeastern US of A.
Bob: I bumped you up the queue, as I believe this will be the first time I've recorded a mix onto cassette for you. And I received two mix tapes from you a few months back in exchange for a few sealed blank Maxell tapes I sent you. So, I've begun recording tonight and should be done in a couple of days.

Besides, the dreary weather you've been experiencing might not last if I waited longer to do this.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I used a couple of tracks from that Seger album in a mix tape where I chose the theme of new music from older bands.

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I remember listening to Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on WCOL in Columbus, Ohio before we moved to Chattanooga. Wondered what happened to him all through high school. I found out in early 1975. It was the second month into my night gig at WSIM: I dropped the needle on Beautiful Loser in the production room and all I could say was holeee sh&t. Listened to it straight through twice and then went looking for a second promo copy I could steal. It's the one I have to this day. Been listening to him ever since; pretty much have all of the original albums plus a couple of compilation CDs I came across a couple of months ago.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Bob: I started listening to Bob Seger beginning in the mid-70's, onwards. Then, a few years back, I began searching for his earlier albums (on vinyl) going back to 1969.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
When it came out, the 45 of Ramblin' Gamblin' Man spent lots of time on my platter. Was very pleased not long ago to find a nice Tales of Lucy Blue (as it was first called) copy in a thrift bin. Then bliss when found an 8 track not long after.

No "& the Silver Bullet" either....he was The System!!

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
On a CD tear this week. The Sony's been ignored too long. This one from a buddy in Murfreesboro, TN who is a nationally-known documentary photographer and music historian who fronts two old-time music bands and one delta blues band. This is the blues group - Hoodoo Men. Good enough to catch Luther Dickinson's (North Mississippi All-Stars) ear; he produced and added guitar on a couple of tracks.

Gotta love 'em. From their FB page: "What are the Hoodoo Men all about? Cheap-ass vintage Teisco guitars, p90 pickups, over-driven tube amps, groovin' drum shuffles, dirty concrete floors, butt-shakin' hoarse-hollerin' flask-drinkin' 3am still bumpin' yes ma'am blues music."

IMG_1944.JPG

"MississippiToChicago'LectrifiedBaconGreaseCornLiquorButtShakingGonnaBoogieTillThePoliceComePorkChopSamich&aSideOfHogMawswithHotSauceJukeJointBlues"

#sorryimmafan, as the kids say.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
On a CD tear this week. The Sony's been ignored too long. This one from a buddy in Murfreesboro, TN who is a nationally-known documentary photographer and music historian who fronts two old-time music bands and one delta blues band. This is the blues group - Hoodoo Men. Good enough to catch Luther Dickinson's (North Mississippi All-Stars) ear; he produced and added guitar on a couple of tracks.

Gotta love 'em. From their FB page: "What are the Hoodoo Men all about? Cheap-ass vintage Teisco guitars, p90 pickups, over-driven tube amps, groovin' drum shuffles, dirty concrete floors, butt-shakin' hoarse-hollerin' flask-drinkin' 3am still bumpin' yes ma'am blues music."

"MississippiToChicago'LectrifiedBaconGreaseCornLiquorButtShakingGonnaBoogieTillThePoliceComePorkChopSamich&aSideOfHogMawswithHotSauceJukeJointBlues"

#sorryimmafan, as the kids say.
Hey, Bob, I think I'd like me a big 'ol greasy slice of that goodness when you get a chance. CD or cassette- your choice. When you get the time.