Sutton's Phased Linear White Oaked 1000 Rigg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
He's just setting them on top of the heatsinks, NOT a bad idea as any air movement is better than NO air movement but I'm still tickled with my "Snap- Ons".

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So Lee, where did you get the Tara interconnects. I'm now wondering if I'm getting everything the Onix has to offer, and from what you have said, I am not. I can't imagine there is more, but if there is, I can't stand not getting it all. If you could give me the link, I may have to spring for a pair, or if someone has a better interconnect in the sub $100.00 range, or even a DIY cable which I could build from silver, or copper, or unobtainium, or whatever, I'm game to try that as well. I always thought it was all hype, but if LEE ordered a bunch, there has got to be something to it. Thanks for any suggestions guys and gals..

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Oh, I'm running a pre/pro, and several amps from the pre/pro..and I have my toerh tube system with a preamp an amp, and a phono preamp. I probably could use 10 pairs like Lee, but the moola situation isn't all that great right now with my Altec and Phase addiction, plus painting the inside of the house for the wife, plus the daughterr's college tuition room and board..so I was just wishing....maybe I could build cords if I could find a DIY recipe..

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Lee,
I used the snap on fan mounting technique and it works great. Two of the $9.95 Apex (http://www.apexjr.com/index.html) fans from Steve Slater (Made in Germany) are a perfect match for the PL 700 heatsink size. When I powered my amp on I heard a buzzing and thought maybe I fried a cap or something... I turned out to be a vibration of the fan on the heatsink because the clip was not pushed down on one side. I pushed it down and the buzz went away. Now, powerful outputs that stay cool; could you ask for anything more?

Mark

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
ksrigg said:
Oh, I'm running a pre/pro, and several amps from the pre/pro..and I have my toerh tube system with a preamp an amp, and a phono preamp. I probably could use 10 pairs like Lee, but the moola situation isn't all that great right now with my Altec and Phase addiction, plus painting the inside of the house for the wife, plus the daughterr's college tuition room and board..so I was just wishing....maybe I could build cords if I could find a DIY recipe..
I can get the Tara Lab RCA connectors. The wire is a different story. Do you solder? Plus you want to shield them. We have found a shrink tube shielding. If Nando is done with his test he may send the ICs to you.

Wire you are going to pay 3.50 and up a foot for wire. If you buy from me you get a 20% discount. Do what you want.

Larry

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
speakerman1 said:
ksrigg said:
I can get the Tara Lab RCA connectors. The wire is a different story. Do you solder? Plus you want to shield them. We have found a shrink tube shielding. If Nando is done with his test he may send the ICs to you.

Wire you are going to pay 3.50 and up a foot for wire. If you buy from me you get a 20% discount. Do what you want.

Larry
Sure, I can mail the Tara Lab ICs to the next tester, Larry. I haven't tried them yet, but I can do that this week. I would first like to try them between my Pioneer Elite CD player and Elite C-72 Control Amplifier, then maybe the cassette deck output (playback) to the dbx 400X Route Selector. I want to hear if there is discernible change in the sound quality with the Tara Lab wires installed.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
mlucitt said:
Lee,
I used the snap on fan mounting technique and it works great. Two of the $9.95 Apex (http://www.apexjr.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) fans from Steve Slater (Made in Germany) are a perfect match for the PL 700 heatsink size. When I powered my amp on I heard a buzzing and thought maybe I fried a cap or something... I turned out to be a vibration of the fan on the heatsink because the clip was not pushed down on one side. I pushed it down and the buzz went away. Now, powerful outputs that stay cool; could you ask for anything more?

Mark

Did you notice on the Halex clips the sharp barb on the one tine?? I took my Dremel and groung that smooth and bent the tines for a bettere grip. With that barb intact they had a death grip and left deep grooves in the heatsinks themselves.
Thew 400 heatsink spacing is different so a different pattern had to be used. Thbe original fans I used on the 700's were 4-5/8 square and on the 400's the standard 5" squares were just right.
Also, I'm in the middle of a big parts swap to get some PL parts I don't have . Do you want any XPL-909's or RCA-410's before I send most of them off??. I'm trying to get a lietime supply of 2N3403's and 1304's and 1305's??

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sure, I can mail the Tara Lab ICs to the next tester, Larry. I haven't tried them yet, but I can do that this week. I would first like to try them between my Pioneer Elite CD player and Elite C-72 Control Amplifier, then maybe the cassette deck output (playback) to the dbx 400X Route Selector. I want to hear if there is discernible change in the sound quality with the Tara Lab wires installed.

Nando.

You Will.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
ksrigg said:
So Lee, where did you get the Tara interconnects. I'm now wondering if I'm getting everything the Onix has to offer, and from what you have said, I am not. I can't imagine there is more, but if there is, I can't stand not getting it all. If you could give me the link, I may have to spring for a pair, or if someone has a better interconnect in the sub $100.00 range, or even a DIY cable which I could build from silver, or copper, or unobtainium, or whatever, I'm game to try that as well. I always thought it was all hype, but if LEE ordered a bunch, there has got to be something to it. Thanks for any suggestions guys and gals..

Sutton, I'll send a couple pair with the OERW. Larry, got him covered. Sutton they are well worth it, and you can send em back when you get some.

And you are right, I don't recommend cables or ICV's, I thought it was all smoke and insulation, BUT.....I was wrong.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
speakerman1 said:
What are you running now? Good luck.

Larrt
If you hadn't asked I wouldn't have bothered to look. The cables came with the Pioneer Elite CDP when I bought it. They are Acoustic Research Pro Series Directional Balanced Line Audio Cables. I didn't even bother to take note of the flow arrows, until now. I had a 50/50 chance to accidentally install them with the directional arrows the right way. They were.

Nando.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I appreciate that Lee. Where is the best place to get them? And which one is the one? Tara Labs___________IC's....or are there other ones in the price range that are as good? How about any of the ones on eBay coming out of Hong Kong or China? Are any of them any good?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sutton I'm not sure, was just following Larry's lead on this and he did me right. He's a dealer so he can place an ordedr for ya.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They are going out as soon as I get the shipping papers Sutton, AND MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
speakerman1 said:
LOL I very seldom get the arrows right. The ones I sent you I don't think they have the arrows. I know mine don't.

Larry

Electricity, how do it know?

This link is a very good article "Which way does electricity really flow". http://amasci.com/amateur/elecdir.html

And some more info, http://amasci.com/elect/elefaq.html

How do it know?
Three professors were arguing between themselves as to the greatest invention in the history of man.
The first Professor argued that controlling fire was the greatest, since it opened the way for man to rise above the apes. The second argued that it was the wheel, since it paved the way for man to travel. The third insisted it was the internal combustion engine, since it opened the doors to the industrial revolution.

Finally, in a deadlock, they decided to seek an outside party to help them decide. The only person available was the old man who cleaned up the lab every day. After a short debate they agreed the old man would do so they posed their question to him.

Each professor argued his point passionately. Finally, after hearing each of their cases the old man stroked his chin thoughtfully and said, "I don't know, fellers. I really think man's greatest invention was the
Thermos bottle."

"The Thermos bottle!" the professors exclaimed. "How on earth can the Thermos bottle compare to fire, the wheel or the internal combustion engine?"

"Well, it keeps hot things hot an' when you put cold things in it it keeps 'em cold".

The professors looked at each other and then to the old janitor said, "Well, OK. It does that. But . . .well . . . so what?"

The old man just shrugged and said, "How do it know?"

Jim

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I sent the shipping labels by email for UPS. I insured both packages for the amount I will have in them...so hopefull ythey will arrive in good shape. I can't wait. I looked at the specs on the Brystons 7B's which have been driving the Altecs and they are rated at 500 watts per channel, and I have gotten the preamp up to -7 db, and have been afraid to push the speakers much harder..So I think the PL WO 1000 will not be presenting much more power, if any to the speakers. I just have to get my nerve up and turn the power to 0 db and see what happens. The Brystons do have clipping indicators, but I'm sure the aluminum diaphrams in the horns would be the first things to go, and at $100.00 each, I'd really rather not take two of them out. I have some $25.00 Hong Kong specials coming, so if I can figure out how to use the screw terminal diaphrams in the horns, I may push it with the cheaper diaphrams..

If UPS picks up on Thursday, I should have the PL WO amps on Wednesday of next week. I'll have to get ready to remove a 4B and a 7B to make room. I can't wait to hear these monsters...Next on the agenda is to figure out how to bi-amp the Altecs so I can put 500 watts on the woofers and 250 watts on the tweeters...Don't know if they will take it as the little wires that go from the voice coil to the diaphram is tiny...

Do you use a horn driver for tweeter? Have you pushed the envelope with yours? The woofer (515-8G version) in the Altecs is rated for 75 watts continuous and the tweeter (902-8B) is rated for 30 wats continuous. The other pair has 416-8A woofers and 808-8A tweeters.......and I think they are rated for much LESS power. Something like 30 for the woofer and 20 for the compression driver...

Even with the power..the woofers barely move...very rigid spider..so they might take the juice..the diaphrams, however are another story...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
In the original K-77 horn driver I was regularly replacing diaphrams. The EV Tweets went on a regular basis also. And the last straw was when the woofer went. The new Crites 1526S woof is designed after the pre 1974 K-33 woof and is just outstanding. The B & C 2" horn driver in the Martelli "Tractix" wood horn is a vast improvement over the K 400/77 combination. I'm still undecided between the Crites CT-125 and the B & C DC-10 tweeters.
This setup was supposedly good for 100 watts continuous..............as we all know I have blown that spec plumb accross the water.