Sutton's Phased Linear White Oaked 1000 Rigg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
ksrigg said:
I think I am finally mentally prepared to receive the Phase Linear White Oak Rigg Laatsch amplification devices. I have re-read all the Phase Linear White Oak and other PL threads, and am mentally ready to SHPONGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having had my recent experience with the Altec A-7's, I am ready to be brave and experience the White Oak Phase Linears. I really don't know how much power the Altecs will take but I am ready to find out. I think my ears will probably yell "uncle" before the speaker diaphrams give out. I will be selling two Bryston 4B's and a pair of Bryston 7B ST mono blocks..They are all pretty much pristine and I have the factory boxes.

Oh yeah, I have to sneak the Altecs into the house when the PL's arrive...I might as well do it all at once so the wife only sees one massive changeout instead of incremental component and speaker changes.. One skirmish instead of many...
Ready to experience the best....
One thing to be said for nice, clean, 5 times more power than you need---- you can get LOUD when you want to.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Unfornutely I have never had power I didn't use. That is why I was on a first name basis with every amplifier and speaker company around home for year. I even think the people at Bryston know my name. My 7B ST has been on two trips back to Canada over the last couple of years!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
ksrigg said:
Unfornutely I have never had power I didn't use. That is why I was on a first name basis with every amplifier and speaker company around home for year. I even think the people at Bryston know my name. My 7B ST has been on two trips back to Canada over the last couple of years!!
See , to me that aint right. With all the bells and ewhistles a Bryston has why are you having to send them back? There is a pair of PL 400's that i went through 3 years ago pulling duty in an oilfied roustabout shop coup[le miles north of town pushing some 901's at mach 6 for hours a day 5 days a week. Aint had em back yet.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
have to get the Onix box back open to get the cd's in, luckily i only did the temp tape job, was out of the "strap" tape. Sutton the complete Shpongle and Younger Brother collection will be shipped with the Onix Monday Morning.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I can not wait. I will be in Shpongle and Younger Brothers heaven. My wife now knows I bought ONE pair of Altecs. I gotta work on the other pair. I'm thinking fronts and rears. Running a 700B on each pair. Ought to wake the neighbors. I also bought the final 400, got it for $125.00 and it should be on its way to you today or tomorrow. Then I will have symmetry with 700B's, 400's, Altecs, and everything. I'm going to have to work up my nerve to bi-amp the Altecs and may not ever be able to do it. I know I would fry them then...

I'm going in the morning to Lenoir, NC to pick up this other pair of A-7's. They have the 515 woofers and 902 compression drivers and are made of MDF instead of plywood. My friend Garland suggests I turn this pair into A-5's by adding the larger format compression drivers and larger multicell horns...He says the larger format compression horns and larger horns really open these monsters up even more, and put the A-7's to shame. I'l have to hear that to believe it.....plus I have to regroup and put some coin together. The horns and drivers aren't cheap..I may have to sell my Fisher 400-CXII preamp.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'd say yes, but you would know better than me if I NEED them. I run an amp pretty hard, but not for long stretches of time. You be the judge. I just don't want to have problems and don't want to have to send it back to you either, so maybe that answers the question. Thanks...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well, if they're the mids in a tri-amp situation, no, but if they're the main on a 2 or 3 way system, and are going to drive anything less than 8 ohms, ands you might put em in cabinets, fans are a good investment.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
They are going to be mains for rear channel in a 5.1 system, but will be in a cabinet, and probably played in movies only for a couple of hours at a time. And I listen to movies really loud, according to the wife..
BOOM........BOOM......RATATAAAT....................KABLOOHIE..............

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Fitting Joe's new 6 LED wide dispersion board to the road warrior. the new 550 is shakin the walls , I love shakin down a new amp project, cause all I need is a little excuse to get loud.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Freaking beautiful, man. I can't wait to see a side by side photo of before and after to show how you have turned the ole one eyed road warrior into a beautiful music making powerhouse with the finesse and detail only dreamed about when Bob Carver produced these "state of the art" amps back in the seventies....

Joe, Don, you and everyone involved in this process deserve a huge resounding "THANK YOU" from all of us who have benefited from this miraculous rebirth of a famous classic.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It is done. It even has a transformer cover from the parts 700. It looks better than when we started, but still rough. In a rack and in a cabinet it will look OK. Soundwise ------ Just an awesome F^%$$#@#^& AMP!!!!! I have been switching between the 400 and 700 all night. I'll play half an album on one and then the other. At low volume indistinguishable from each other------ah............ but start nkicking them in the butt and the 700 takes over, compression can be detected in the 400 at my listening levels. ONCE AGAIN, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE for massive amounts of power. The transients are not at full effect at Mach 8with the 400. After living with it for a month I'm in love with this particular 700, I hope what I've done is not an anomoly and can be repeated. For some reason I kept copious notes on this one. I would be a happy guy if they all turned out like this one. All your's Sutton.

PS, Joe's new 6 LED board does indeed disperse more like an incandescent than the old 4 LED boards.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
My Gawd!!!!!! Please post the pic of the one eyed road warrior next to the finished product just for comparison. I think it will blow my mind, and some others as well. The transformation is hard to believe..

I love the fans....they look like they should have been factory. Will they make much noise running at low volume leverls, are they noticeable? NOT AT THE VOLUMES I'LL BE LISTENING TO............