Sutton's Phased Linear White Oaked 1000 Rigg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Our new member ksrigg wants to go the White Oak 1000 route. Really??? Are ya up for it??

This puppie is kinda rough. I hope to make it something he is not ashamed of. this was the other amp i was gonna do for Jer, but i have something else in mind for him.

Soooooooo.... here we go again.

This amp came with RCA 1B05 outputs. A very early B if that was the originals. they weren't used very long and this is the first full set I've seen

This amp is getting the full meal deal. New caps, new light board, DC protect , new binding posts, new RCA jacks, On-Semi MJ 15024's driving MJ 21194's. And of course Joe's board, configured as a PL020, although this has the PL14A. Nice thing about that, pick a board version!!

Should be very interesting.

Welcome to Phoenix ksrigg.

Attachments

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Sutton the only thing I don't like is the lifting part. I don't have the board yet and I can tell you I enjoy mine. If the board makes a bigger difference. Then I don't know. Mine came back sounding a lot different. In a good way. You made a good choice. Enjoy when it is done.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Been awhile since I went thru my TO-3 stash, I don't have ANY 21194's, got a hunded 15024's and 3 21196's....jeez , mouser's gonna love me this week. If you droip 3 bills or more with Mouser the get REAL FRIENDLY!!!! Next day shipping , same day out the door etc.for nothing. I now have over 200 RCA-410's after the heatsink purchase, 60 XPL-909's, 40 or 50 FPL-909's jeez.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sutton, if it's OK with you I'm gonna swap the "B" faceplate to the Series I chassis, I think it will be a lot better off. What I don't know is if the larger meters and associated board will clear the aluminum mounting plate for the caps, owning a few mills(Bridgeports) will facilitate the relieving of the aluminum mass in any way i need so it may be a moot point. Plus you would have a very unique amp.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And i will include a pair of those really cool fold away rack handles. More pics of the cosmetically and structurally challenged chassis. there is also a pic of the bottom of the stock PL14 A board. traces are fried and bypassed on it's on its last legs, THIS I what makes Joe's product so cool, we don't have to patch up messes like this anymore!!!!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
When you order TO-3's by the hundreds you get a pretty good break. 25% off. From 4.07 each to 3.01` each.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Hey Lee and all,

I owned a Phase Linear when I was in college, and it stayed in the shop, taking my Watkins WS-1 speakers with them until I fused the speakers, so yeah, I am very up for this. I sold the PL 4000 and PL 400 Series I when I traded for the Luxman M-4000 and Luxman Preamp I went to next. I always loved the PL stuff, and wanted a 700B, but they were a little out of my price range back then. Lee you are the man, and whatever you want to do is fine by me man. The folks at White Oak and you are making a dream come true. To have a 700B that works and is stable and WORKS is GREAT. Double the RMS is just icing on the cake and takes it to a whole new level. I told Lee...I wish is were competent to do the mods and rebuild, but I've just not got the equipment or expertise. I wish I could... I am just watching in awe ...... the miracles you guys are performing here. I have been cruising eBay for years looking at PL stuff, wishing IT WORKED...I use to ROCK the FRAT HOUSE back in the 70's. I've never given up the chase for audio nirvana...Now maybe I have found it, and can hang it up and just listen and feel the music again..

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
laatsch55 said:
She's got me pinned down again.
Since the MM has layed down the law...I'll refrain from commenting :evil:

btw, Jazz is a hoot, she's lookin' like "I saw what you just did with that hand, don't even think about putting it on my fine fur biatch" :lol: :lol:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
stuwee said:
laatsch55 said:
She's got me pinned down again.
Since the MM has layed down the law...I'll refrain from commenting :evil:

btw, Jazz is a hoot, she's lookin' like "I saw what you just did with that hand, don't even think about putting it on my fine fur biatch" :lol: :lol:

Stu, that's exactly what she was doing, the claws were coming out as I snapped that pic. I did leak later in the day.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sutton, the best thing you did was sell the 4000, not the best pre-amp Bob ever made. My personal favorite is the 3300 Ser II, now that's a pre-amp, no fancy BS, just solid engineering and upgradeable op-amps. With some JRC 4560 or 80's in place, God what a difference, I seriously could not tell the difference between that and my tricked Spec 1.
And it's your amp, YOU DO have the right to some input, that's why I asked.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Stuwee what law. Jerry laid the law down I just bumped it. LOL

AUDIO NIRVANA HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It is unattainable in todays world. To many things going on. Just look at this upgrade. Beauty is in the ears of the beholder. You can walk into a friends house and go all my God. How does it sound that good. Nirvana per dollars? Nirvana by what you like. Nirvana by being like a sick in the mud.

You could have Nirvana and give me 2 days and very little money and you will have changed your mind.

Is Nirvana 15" woofers? CV, JBLs, Norman Labs, What speaker can give you Nivana. What is it you seek? Then we have amps. Creek ,PL, Adcom, Bryston. Naim, Macintosh. Which brings Nirvana?

Everything in the path can change the sound. Can you spends 100s of thousands yes. Or can you buy vintage.

It isn't Nirvana. It is what we like. I look at some of the systems posted and I shake my head. It isn't for me. Not my Nirvana. Maybe for you; but I can can change your Nirvana. Ask the guys here.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And your wallet will be much lighter. Better for your heart, draggin around all that weight.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
speakerman1 said:
Stuwee what law. Jerry laid the law down I just bumped it. LOL

AUDIO NIRVANA HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It is unattainable in todays world. To many things going on. Just look at this upgrade. Beauty is in the ears of the beholder. You can walk into a friends house and go all my God. How does it sound that good. Nirvana per dollars? Nirvana by what you like. Nirvana by being like a sick in the mud.

You could have Nirvana and give me 2 days and very little money and you will have changed your mind.

Is Nirvana 15" woofers? CV, JBLs, Norman Labs, What speaker can give you Nivana. What is it you seek? Then we have amps. Creek ,PL, Adcom, Bryston. Naim, Macintosh. Which brings Nirvana?

These 15" Jensen's are nirvana baby!!

Attachments