Sutton's Phased Linear White Oaked 1000 Rigg

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
You could use the light bulb trick, the same as powering up an amp for the first time except you put it in series with the speaker. I think a 25 Watt bulb is what JBL used in their Pro enclosures. I think it was 27 Ohms so the resistance has to be accounted for, but it is safe to say if the bulb starts burning bright, there is at least 5 amps in the speakers and that is a lot if the woofer is wired direct and also asking the tweeter to work too hard even after the crossover cuts the lows.

Mark

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
RUCK ME FUNNING....................................................................................,..

i JUST HAD TO PUT TOGETHER THE TERMINALS FROM ONE OF THE ALTEC HORNS, WHICH SLID OFF THE BASS CABINETS DUE TO THE VIBRATION. SON OF A BISCUIT EATER.

THIS 1000WO IS INSANELY LOUD AND POWERFUL. AND THE SONICS ARE DETAILED AND OUTSTANDING. THERE IS NO COMPARISON WITH THE BRYSTON 7B ST MONOBLOCKS. THEY ARE HISTORY.

i WILL GIVE A MORE COMPLETE REVIEW LATER, AS SOON AS MY EARS STOP RINGING...I DID FIND THE SPRINGS ANE THE TERMINAL ENDS FOR THE COMPRESSION DRIVER, AND COUGHT THE HORN IN MID AIR...SAW IT STARTING TO CREEP OFF THE CABINET. IT NOW HAS SCREWS IN PLACE..

WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY, AND I ONLY HAD THE PREAMP TO -6DB AT THE TIME..I NOW KNOW WHAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT. THIS TRULY IS A REVELATION IN AMPLIFICATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOTTA GO LISTEN MORE..........MORE LATER...IF I STILL HAVE POWER TO MY HOUSE. AND MY COMPUTER DOESN'T SLIDE OFF THE COMPUTER DESK AND SHATTER..AND IF I STILL HAVE CONTROL OF ALL BODILY FUNCTIONS....................

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A cautionary note, any shelves in the 120 decibel radius should be constructed with at least a 2 degree slant TO THE WALL. Mine are under modification by the house carpenter as we type, Jani of course. She's tired of putting stuff back on THE UPSTAIRS shelves, but not tired of the loud music. Guys I am way lucky to have found a woman who likes it as loud as I do.

AMEN Sutton, thanks for confirming my comparison with the Bryston I have.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I have now ventured to + 3 db on the pre/pro resulting in sound level that approach mind bending. I have now gotten close to 0 db on the Phase.....MY GOD I don't know how much more the Altecs can take, but I'm sure over time I will find out. It is absolutely the most poowerful amp I have ever had, bar none.........and I've not even pegged the meters yet..but I really don't want ot have to buy many diaphrams for the compression drivers, but again, I don't know how much more I could take. My ears are ringing like a bell now..The amps does everything fabulously..It is fast, sweet and powerful, all at the same time. An almost impossible combination of attributes. I have still yet to pull the 400 from the box, as I wanted to replace everything (all Brystons) at one time to have only one major wife fight, but I may have to. This is wearing me out. UNFREAKING REAL..................

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
You guys say you like the white LEDs. I still like the blue because it matches the center.

Lee give me the nod when you want me to send mine. I think the sound room will be getting set up very soon so I will be able to do w/o the PL.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gibsonian said:
Bryston slayers! Not bad at all. You hear alot of folks bragging up those puppies.

Scott i had heard the same thing so when a 4B came up on CL in denver i had a Bud go pick it up. I spent 800.00 just to mprove to myself the PLWO OERW was every bit as good as a Bryston-----wasn't even close. The Bryston clipped at 264 into 8 with both loaded and driven, hell my Specs do 340, and the Bryston wasn't even in the same zip code in clarity, definition, soundstage, whatever quality you wish to compare.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They would probably defend their gear to the death, but really, what if Carver got it right the first time, you can't argue with the sound, they are clear with great definition and resolution.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
But has the technology treated the sound any better. Slew rate?? What about slew induced distortion? Can your speaks respond fast enough for the god awful slew rates?? A lot of unanswered questions. AND THEY ARE STILL THE CAT"S MEOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!