Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I trouble shooted it down to spybot seartch and destroy. I uninstalled it and now everything works as it should. It was some sort of real time protection and and option i n the right contex menu that isn't totally compatible with win 10.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It means well but it really gets in the way sometimes and I got rid of it with 7 some time ago...but it still shows up in my menus now and then.

fitz43

Yep. You're still back on the pre-Threshold 2 build.

If you're eager to move forward and don't want to wait for the Windows Update route,
grab a clean USB thumb drive 8 GB or bigger and download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from Microsoft.
Easily Googled.

Create the installation for another computer when it asks,
then when done, simply run the setup on the thumb drive from within Windows.

Works like a charm ... :happy2:
Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a shot next week.

fitz43

I attempted the Win 10 Media Creation but it failed saying it couldn't find any USB on the device.
First go was with a Sandisk 8G, Google gave some posts that Sandisk and the Media Creation had difficulties.
Tried again with a 8G no-name Chinese novelty USB stick. Same error.

I'll wait for the update to come around.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Interesting.

They've actually updated the Tool now and simplified the process.
One tool download now has everything inside to do either a 'home version' or 'pro/ultimate version' upgrade.
Did you get the screen that says "Something Happened"?
I have three different Sandisk sticks that worked straight away;
2 8GB USB 2.0 type with the slide-down protector and another one of the same style that is 16GB.
Sounds like your USB driver/hardware chain might be goofed up.

You may want to go create the tool on a different computer with the Sandisk and see if the result is better.
Conversely, if you have a DVD burner in your rig, do the ISO thing instead of the USB route.

I attempted the Win 10 Media Creation but it failed saying it couldn't find any USB on the device.
First go was with a Sandisk 8G, Google gave some posts that Sandisk and the Media Creation had difficulties.
Tried again with a 8G no-name Chinese novelty USB stick. Same error.

I'll wait for the update to come around.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I updated a second computer to Win 10 over the weekend. It went as planned and at least the new install incorporates Service pack one updates into it. You would think since they just released a big service pack that you would be update free for a few days. Not the case as I have a few updates yesterday. Oh well updates are better then not updating I guess. :wink:

I have two more computers that are eligible to upgrade to Win 10. Can anyone think of a reason not too upgrade? Do I need to keep one win 7 computer around? I suppose I could try a dual boot and upgrade win 7 to win 10 and keep another drive alive with Win 7?

Last edited:

Rat44

Journeyman
Checked it out again.
The drivers now support my hardware correctly.
Seems to be working fine.
Does appear to be a little faster than Win 7 I was using.

fitz43

I just got another reminder to upgrade to 10 on one machine.

Do you want to upgrade now? Do you want to upgrade later?

I clicked on "upgrade later". It starts downloading Win 10. There is a button in the dialog box that says "stop download"
I click it(multiple times) and the download continues, it doesn't stop. The download progress bar is now at about 80% and it says preparing for installation. The downloading finishes and I get a dialog box saying "Great, lets continue"

I declined the Terms of Service to stop the madness. They are determined to push this on people.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I just got another reminder to upgrade to 10 on one machine.

Do you want to upgrade now? Do you want to upgrade later?

I clicked on "upgrade later". It starts downloading Win 10. There is a button in the dialog box that says "stop download"
I click it(multiple times) and the download continues, it doesn't stop. The download progress bar is now at about 80% and it says preparing for installation. The downloading finishes and I get a dialog box saying "Great, lets continue"

I declined the Terms of Service to stop the madness. They are determined to push this on people.
Similar here over the weekend. I finally just gave in and did it. It took about 4 reboots to get all the favorites back. It is only supposed to take 1 but I suppose they are still working through things.

So far, no real complaints. I don't like edge because I cannot have 6 tabs as my home tabs (this is a relatively frequent complaint about Edge, otherwise it is a good browser, fast). Back to IE11.

fitz43

Similar here over the weekend. I finally just gave in and did it. It took about 4 reboots to get all the favorites back. It is only supposed to take 1 but I suppose they are still working through things.

So far, no real complaints. I don't like edge because I cannot have 6 tabs as my home tabs (this is a relatively frequent complaint about Edge, otherwise it is a good browser, fast). Back to IE11.
I have no real complaints with Win 10 on another other box and laptop. I just objected to the method I witnessed being employed.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Said just screw it and hit ok for the Windows 10 upgrade finally. Other then having to log back into the computer after I leave it alone for awhile, I notice no difference. Web is faster in use, just minor little looks for stuff, everything runs right. So far so good, shut Corina down and enabled tracking protection

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Said just screw it and hit ok for the Windows 10 upgrade finally. Other then having to log back into the computer after I leave it alone for awhile, I notice no difference. Web is faster in use, just minor little looks for stuff, everything runs right. So far so good, shut Corina down and enabled tracking protection
Glad to hear you got it going.
Just make sure you turn off all the Microsoft telemetry sh!t too that augments Cortana.
If you accepted the default settings during the install process, then you probably missed all the
data capturing settings that hide the curtain.

Windows 10 grabs all kinds of "personalized" tracking info beyond the obvious IE tracking & Cortana stuff.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I did not accept default settings, just hit not at this time for everything then went in disabled Cortana and enabled Tracking protection. If I missed anything, LMK

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I did not accept default settings, just hit not at this time for everything then went in disabled Cortana and enabled Tracking protection. If I missed anything, LMK
Here's the cheat-sheet for what I am talking about.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/services-setting-preferences

Should be obvious what to shut off.
If by chance anyone used Express Settings at the beginning,
scroll to the bottom on the cheat-sheet to find out how to
get back to the settings to decouple yourself the best you can
from Big Mother.
:laughing8:

orange

Tagline
And it's OVER...a lot of people's installations got hung up and their downloads started prior to the deadline were cut off in mid stream...sad for them but the world is free for decent operating systems again.

According to Microsoft, OVER MEANS OVER.
:hello1::blob8::diabloanifire:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
6 reasons you should upgrade to Windows 10 for free while you still can

The full monty:

http://www.pcgamer.com/6-reasons-you-should-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-while-you-still-can/

probably the most important angle ...

5. You don’t actually have to use Windows 10 right now if you don’t want to

The best argument I can make for upgrading to Windows 10 is that you don’t have to use the OS if you don’t want to. This sounds a little odd, but it’s true. In a manner of speaking.
The Windows 10 upgrade FAQ states that if you can reinstall Windows 10 after upgrading in the event of a system wipe or some other PC cataclysm. To do this, you either have to create installation media from within Windows 10, or create a disk image to restore to.
Here's how I read this: You can upgrade to Windows 10, create installation media on a USB stick, wipe the OS and install Windows 7 or 8 again. If you ever need to install Windows 10, you have installation media that will work because it was created from a validated installation.
Interestingly, Microsoft also appears to keep a list of upgraded PCs tied to the motherboard. This is called a ‘digital entitlement,’ and it basically means you can do a clean install of Windows 10 at a later date—you don’t even need to remember your Windows key!
The ability to upgrade, retrograde, and then reinstall from installation media is, to me, the biggest reason to upgrade. It allows you to keep the ability to install Windows 10 without diving in head-first.

orange

Tagline
I'm not sure you can install it for free now, whether you have it or not, and I don't even want it. Little victory.