Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Web and Co: I found this much and wondered if this had to do with why I cannot manage to load Windows 7 Home Premium back to the drive.

And by the way, whomever had it before Web took the 1TB drive with them or else it failed as this is a 2011 model according to the copyright dates in the UEFI startup.

UEFI is an acronym for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It is occasionally, albeit technically incorrectly, referred to as "UEFI BIOS".
The UEFI, like the BIOS it is designed to replace, is software built into PCs, and performs functions such as:

• Power On Self Test (POST)
  • Loading of the operating system from bootable media, such as the installed hard drive, an inserted bootable CD or DVD, or a bootable USB device
  • Acting as a standard interface layer between operating systems and the installed hardware
A UEFI typically has a user interface of some sort that is accessible (only) at power-on, before any operating system is loaded. This UI, which is typically more extensive than previous BIOS UIs, allows many of the configuration options, diagnostics, and other manufacturer-specific functions to be accessed before any operating system is loaded.
One of the more notable, and occasionally frustrating, features of UEFI is "secure boot". Secure boot allows the boot process to be "locked down" according to the PC manufacturer's specifications, preventing unauthorized operating systems or boot sources from loading.
Like the BIOS, the UEFI is typically stored in re-programmable ROM, allowing it to be updated using special reprogramming software. Unlike the BIOS, additional portions of the UEFI may be stored on reserved areas of a computer's hard disk.

Does this mean that the DRIVE is hindering my attempts?

And I got stuck with 160 GB WD Caviar in the end...pbbbbblt

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
No, if you format the drive, you should be good to go. You have to make sure your drive and dvd drive have both power and data cables connected. Go into the bios and make sure your computer is recognizing both of them and is set to boot from the dvd drive.

You can also put the win 7 install dvd in the optical drive reboot and continuously tap the F8 key while booting. This should bring you to a boot menu where you can select what drive you want to boot from. For install of course select the optical drive with the up or down arrows on your keyboard. Once you have the correct drive select hit the return key to boot from it.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Threshold 2, the 'fall update' rolls out today. It's the new way of describing service packs.

I just used the Media Creation Tool to get it instead of waiting for the Windows Update porting.
So far so good ... :happy2:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I received a huge update late last night, not sure if that was it or not? Everything seems to work good in win 10 except for Win explorer and sd cards in card reader. Sometimes when I try to open the root folder explorer closes.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I received a huge update late last night, not sure if that was it or not? Everything seems to work good in win 10 except for Win explorer and sd cards in card reader. Sometimes when I try to open the root folder explorer closes.
If the copyright year pushed to 2016 in your "about" Win 10 box, you got it.

The base update is also known as OS Build 10586.

It will also show up listed as one of the most recent Windows Update entries ... as Windows 10 Upgrade.

orange

Tagline
The former working half of my four front USB ports AND the card reader quit about two weeks ago and I'm in 7 until heaven...

Everything is still connected too, I just opened Valerie up and looked.

orange

Tagline
Where do you go to see this? Thanks.
From the start menu or desktop: Computer > Control Panel > All Control Panel items > System Properties, or at least you do in 7.

And I just got to learn what Error 116 is in BIOS when I was looking to find the end of the card reader cable (and it's not plugged in anyway) and I got a brief blue screen and it restarted without the hard drive.

Took two restarts and checking the connections to get that back...sheesh.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If the copyright year pushed to 2016 in your "about" Win 10 box, you got it.

The base update is also known as OS Build 10586.

It will also show up listed as one of the most recent Windows Update entries ... as Windows 10 Upgrade.
Nope it is dling right now tying up my precious cpu cycles. :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
Web, if your Windows Explorer is messed up, everything is NOT okay...

The card reader problem I can't explain as mine is disconnected, as I found earlier.

You would probably want to visit answers.microsoft.com and see who has similar problems.

There may even be some malware causing it.

orange

Tagline
Remember, with 10 they are automatic now.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yep. You're still back on the pre-Threshold 2 build.

If you're eager to move forward and don't want to wait for the Windows Update route,
grab a clean USB thumb drive 8 GB or bigger and download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from Microsoft.
Easily Googled.

Create the installation for another computer when it asks,
then when done, simply run the setup on the thumb drive from within Windows.

Works like a charm ... :happy2:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Just be aware that this update takes as long or longer then it did to upgrade to win 10 in the first place. And don't be alarmed by the message your files are where you left them which appears for several minutes during the update. :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
I'd really be worried if it said, Pay no attention to the grinning man with the pickaxe behind you, myself.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Web, if your Windows Explorer is messed up, everything is NOT okay...

Window explorer is fine, If I right click on a card i nthe card reader it crashes win explorer. If I click on the sd card on the left hand side of the screen then I can explore what is on the card. I blame it on old drivers for the car reader. Nothing else seems to be effected so I am not too concerned about it. The right mouse click works on everything but the card reader. I'll have to dig up my spare and see if it has the same affliction.

Last edited: