Record Stores... Whats your latest buy?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There are no real LP shops here in C-bad, so I look at the new arrivals at local thrifts and junk shops. Sometimes you get lucky, like the time I found a pristine copy of the Chieftans' second album, or Leo Kottke's first album, just short of pristine. Today I picked three LP's from Windham Hill from four bins of new arrival vinyl. Two of the three were pristine, and the third almost was. Got a CD of something too, but don't remember what, and I notice that a CD score is just nice, but an LP score gets the blood pumping...
I agree about the thrill of finding old stuff on vinyl. Before, I used to only look for records from artists or bands I knew. Now, I try to remember what other members have recommended or songs I heard from mix tapes I have received. If the cover looks intriguing, I look more closely at the info on the back of the jacket of new stuff. I rarely get something I don't like, that way. Funny thing is - when I discover something new and post about my discovery, invariably, the responses are " You have got to be joking. You must have been living under a rock not to know who Les Dudek is!"

Nando.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Im always on the lookout for anything new to me and or different things. Im always looking for ACDC stuff as well. I will be returning to this particular shop next week to pick up a spin clean. The shop owner is very flexible with pricing and offers good deals on cash only sales. He has already offered to knock the price of the spin clean down, as well made note that he could acquire Ortofon products for really good prices, as markup on their stuff is pretty high. I think I foresee an Ortofon 2M Blue at a good price in my future.

Nick Danger

Im always on the lookout for anything new to me and or different things. Im always looking for ACDC stuff as well. I will be returning to this particular shop next week to pick up a spin clean. The shop owner is very flexible with pricing and offers good deals on cash only sales. He has already offered to knock the price of the spin clean down, as well made note that he could acquire Ortofon products for really good prices, as markup on their stuff is pretty high. I think I foresee an Ortofon 2M Blue at a good price in my future.
How good of pricing on Ortofon carts, if I may ask? The usual places don't seem to offer discounts.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
How good of pricing on Ortofon carts, if I may ask? The usual places don't seem to offer discounts.
Without going into his books to make sure he quoted me 150 or less for the 2M blue. I think I could get him down a little more on that as well. Im betting 130 or 140, which after buying the red...isnt all that much more than the red itself at retail.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Was down in Bowmanville again today, picked up Metallica - Unforgiven 12" single and a spin clean.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Great purchases, Ben. I bought Peal Jam's latest, but not on LP. The vinyl was going to cost $35, so I passed it up for the CD. I heard some Arcade Fire on CBC, today. I think I might buy their latest release "Reflektor."

On Wednesday I found a new store which had opened two weeks ago right here in town. "Kelly's Eclectibles" buys, sells and trades vintage vinyl records, guitars, and vintage stereo equipment. Kelly's dad owns a sister shop in Vernon about 5 hours drive northeast of me. Geri and I had been in there every year checking out the vinyl when we were visiting my best friend who lives just outside of Vernon. I bought three records on Wednesday. But, I will be back on Monday to really take a good look over the stock.

Nando.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Are you partaking in your birthday gifts? Happy birthday Douglas!
A few of us finish off the Russell's rye, put a sizable dent in the Platte Valley plus another bottle of Russell's showed up. This one is the 10 year old bourbon:

On the fence about the Downslope, flavor has a bit of a tequila- like finish, which is a bad thing for me.

NavLinear

A few of us finish off the Russell's rye, put a sizable dent in the Platte Valley plus another bottle of Russell's showed up. This one is the 10 year old bourbon:

On the fence about the Downslope, flavor has a bit of a tequila- like finish, which is a bad thing for me.
It sounds like you're having a good time - cheers mate! So the double d tastes like tequila? I really like tequila but I live in Northern Mexico - aka SoCal.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My involvement with Tequila ended with doing Tequila slammers all night on the night I finished building my K-Horns. And when we slammed the little shot glass to get it to fizz, it was on top of the K-Horns. I didn't want a prissy set, I wanted a blue collar set, so on the night they were born they took a lot of hits from a shot glass....

Nick Danger

My involvement with Tequila ended with doing Tequila slammers all night on the night I finished building my K-Horns. And when we slammed the little shot glass to get it to fizz, it was on top of the K-Horns. I didn't want a prissy set, I wanted a blue collar set, so on the night they were born they took a lot of hits from a shot glass....
I usually wake up outside, lost and hung over in a strange place. It has been years since I have drank the stuff, but I always seemed to have a really good time- too good apparently.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Here is a link to the Bowmanville shop's website.

http://www.vinylalibi.ca/

They have really good retail prices on Ortofon stuff. Theyll do better for me on a cash sale though. According to the employee they have been selling a lot of Ortofon products as their list price is lower than most other shops.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Today's finds were The Fatboys - Coming Back Hard Again and SRV - Soul To Soul

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
8 sealed lps at a local tagsale, 7 are early 80s Rap crap and the other is The Bee Gees - Main Course. Not my thing so I will flip them

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Any Beastie Boys, Run DMC, or NWA?
Nope, if there was any NWA I probably would have kept it for a friend. I got these though, already have them posted on AK

Busy Boys - Funky Fresh X-mas 2-sided 12" promo only shrink is tight, wicked tight and it deforms the generic white outer sleeve Mohawk Records RARE $30

MC Ren - Mad Scientist 4 track 12" in picture album jacket RIP/Ruthless Records 1993 $8

Surf MC's - Surf Or Die Profile 1987 $10

Ellis D - Just Like a Queen 2-sided 12" promo Minimal Records 1990 $10

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony RARE 12" version of East 1999. This was mainly released as a 7" RIP/Ruthless Records 1995 $15

Professor Griff and the Last Asiatic Disciples - Pawns in the Game. Shrink is orn on bottom backside. A legendary album in this genre. Skywalker Records 1990 $15