Record Stores... Whats your latest buy?

Perry

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Probably too late now, but Target was/is clearing out all (9 titles) of their 180gm "audiophile" records. They were ones available anywhere (U2 Joshua Tree, 4 or 5 Beatles, like Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Rd etc, Pink Floyd WYWH & DSTOM, Steve Millers Greatest Hits) for their regular prices of $21 to $30, but they put them on clearance going down as low as $4.98 for SM, and $8.98 WYWH, etc, for for that price, they were worth it. So far excellent pressings or oldies but goodies.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Probably too late now, but Target was/is clearing out all (9 titles) of their 180gm "audiophile" records. They were ones available anywhere (U2 Joshua Tree, 4 or 5 Beatles, like Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Rd etc, Pink Floyd WYWH & DSTOM, Steve Millers Greatest Hits) for their regular prices of $21 to $30, but they put them on clearance going down as low as $4.98 for SM, and $8.98 WYWH, etc, for for that price, they were worth it. So far excellent pressings or oldies but goodies.
I bought the re-release of WYWH when it first became available, and it's good. The DSOTM remains sealed as it was an anniversary issue. But, for prices like that I would be settling on a few new ones to back up my originals.

Nando.

Perry

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Yes, I also have my original DSOTM and WYWH from high school in the '70s, plus a sealed anniversary edition of DSOTM, and at least one or 2 copies over the years. But nothing like really pop and click free new heavyweight vinyl LP to show off a TT & cart.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Todays finds at my local, Blue Streak Records,

Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes

and an original Steve Vai - Flexable.

NavLinear

Todays finds at my local, Blue Streak Records,

Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes

and an original Steve Vai - Flexable.
Nice scores Ben. There are a couple of gems on the TB album - "Post Toastee" made the charts.

Have you heard the Flexable album yet? I hear it's got a heavy Zappa influence.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Nice scores Ben. There are a couple of gems on the TB album - "Post Toastee" made the charts.

Have you heard the Flexable album yet? I hear it's got a heavy Zappa influence.
I have not listened to Flexable yet. But I have heard it before. While I havent really listened to a lot of Zappa, it was made not long after Steve left Zappa, and Frank also hooked him up with some of his equipment for the recording process.

All copies ive heard were digital though. So it will be nice to listen to an original vinyl of it, especially considering it was made on a 1/4" Fostex 8 track at 15 IPS in a home studio.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's been more than 5 years since a record store existed here and the nearest real record store is The Record Exchange in Boise, which will probably be around a lot longer but going to Boise is just as imaginary.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Too far to take the rollfast Steven? Someone you know must have a car. Maybe plan a day trip or something.

While I've never done it to get records, you could always hang your thumb to the road. :laughing9: Been a long time since I've had to hitchhike.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I just recently grabbed an original sealed copy of George Duke, The Aura Will Prevail / BASF 1975.
$10 at Bullmoose in Portsmouth, NH. It's....far out man.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Picked up a good stash of music this weekend.

Apparently Big Sugar recently released their latest album on vinyl, their management brought the albums into my local store on consignment. Also Geordie Johnson released a new 2 piece album on CD. I had to take that as well.

The two cd's on the bottom ill elaborate more on in another thread.

Edit: Even after rotating this pic in my bucket it still wont seem to stay rotated in the post...

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: Big Sugar on vinyl - I"ll keep my eyes peeled for it. Gordie Johnson isn't in my collection, yet. Wide Mouth Mason: I might have only one of their CDs. I like their music.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
It certainly was a surprise to see a Big Sugar LP. I asked for more details about releasing their back catalog on vinly, Tim, the store owner, didnt have much for me in that regard. I was specifically asking about Hemi Vision. That would be a real treat on Vinyl.

I do have some WMM. I really like their older stuff. It was pretty popular on the radio in my area when they first came about. Songs like Companion, Sugarcane, and Lay Me Down were in constant rotation. I wonder if Geordie is still playing bass with them, on top of production for them as well.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Was down in Oshawa today. Stopped in to Star Records. Prices have pretty much sky rocketed at this joint.

I managed to come home with 1 album, I may have over paid for it too. :laughing9:

I dont think ill be frequenting this shop too much anymore.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Not really a record store purchase but a new album. Pre ordered from their website in February, was to ship in April, or March... initially. I received it today.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: That's a long wait for a pre-order. Are you thinking of getting the newest Pearl Jam on vinyl? I will be. I bought their last release, "Backspacer" on vinyl a few years back.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
No plans for the Pearl Jam Nando. A buddy of mine pre ordered it. When I get some time to visit him ill likely check it out. While I do enjoy much of their music, I cant say I'm a big fan of theirs.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
There are no real LP shops here in C-bad, so I look at the new arrivals at local thrifts and junk shops. Sometimes you get lucky, like the time I found a pristine copy of the Chieftans' second album, or Leo Kottke's first album, just short of pristine. Today I picked three LP's from Windham Hill from four bins of new arrival vinyl. Two of the three were pristine, and the third almost was. Got a CD of something too, but don't remember what, and I notice that a CD score is just nice, but an LP score gets the blood pumping...

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Went saw an old friend today, havent seen him in quite some time. He was a real good friend of my old mans. Turns out he lives a block away from a record shop I have never been to. Nice little shop with a cool owner. I picked up 3 titles.

Silverchair - Frog Stomp re-issue

Faith No More - Falling To Pieces 12" single with 3 extra songs live from the Brixton. Poster cover.

Heart - Magazine on Capitol.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You managed to get Heart's "Magazine." I have two copies, now, on the Mushroom Records label. The Wilson sisters play in Vancouver on December 13th. The music critics gave the album a fair rating, but I like it alot.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I have 2 copies as well Nando. An original picture disc copy as well as this standard copy on the Capitol label. The first thing I did when I saw this album was check for the Mushroom label.

I also like this album a lot. Probably their best work IMO.