Record Stores... Whats your latest buy?

jaetee

Journeyman
What's the matrix numbers in the deadwax of the Elvis? Beatles? I have minty true 1st pressings of both myself. The only way you can tell is by the inscriptions in the runout area of each record. If you got real 1st issues, congrats!
Things got moved around a bit and I couldn't easily get to the record. The numbers in the deadwax of the Elvis record look to read: 02 PP1282-17S but I should add that the "0" at the beginning is a guess, I can only see the top half of that character.

EDIT: did some research... and took a closer look. it appears the "0" is a G, so it would read "G2 PP1282-17S" and the other side reads "G2 PP1283-9S"

It seems I have this record here: http://collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/150986819595.jpg

Which does not seem to be among the ones listed here: http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1254-elvis-presley/

This appears to be (as well it should be) a very well documented record...

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Things got moved around a bit and I couldn't easily get to the record. The numbers in the deadwax of the Elvis record look to read: 02 PP1282-17S but I should add that the "0" at the beginning is a guess, I can only see the top half of that character.

EDIT: did some research... and took a closer look. it appears the "0" is a G, so it would read "G2 PP1282-17S" and the other side reads "G2 PP1283-9S"

It seems I have this record here: http://collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/150986819595.jpg

Which does not seem to be among the ones listed here: http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1254-elvis-presley/

This appears to be (as well it should be) a very well documented record...
First RCA Victor pressing I have has this in the deadwax

Matrix / Runout (A Side Stamped): G2PP 1282-6S A1 I
Matrix / Runout (B Side Stamped): G2PP 1283-5S B3 I

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
My last vinyl outing was to the local flea market, where one booth had quite a few collectible LP's, but most of them had water damage, and one was quite musty. I did select Fresh Aire VI in nice shape, and for fifty cents. It's not a fav, but I did play it today, using the phono section of the Acoustat preamp, and it was very quiet. The gain seemed a bit low, but that may the CCA speaker wire.

jaetee

Journeyman
First RCA Victor pressing I have has this in the deadwax

Matrix / Runout (A Side Stamped): G2PP 1282-6S A1 I
Matrix / Runout (B Side Stamped): G2PP 1283-5S B3 I
If you look at the track listing on the album label, does it credit "P.D." (public domain) as the song writer, or does it list "Shelton, Shelton & Robin"?

According to the first link, mine would appear to have been pressed around 1958-59... not '56 when the album was actually released.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Been on a binge (at least for me) this past week. Found Spirit's The Family That Plays Together and the first Omar & The Howlers album - Big Leg Beat - at a new shop down in the trendy Northshore part of town. Couple of kids moved it from a much less expensive location in a suburb to be closer to hipsters, I guess. Hope it works for them as even in their basement location, the rent's outrageous. Albums aren't in great condition so I'm glad I didn't spend more than $7 on both, but I can listen to them upstairs on the AR without worrying about what the clicks and pops are doing to the system.

Then bought the new Alabama Shakes - Sound + Color - album. Not sure about the music yet. I love her voice, but so far it kinda seems like four musicians in search of a song. For $27, I'll keep listening to see if I can like it. Finally, I upped and ordered St. Paul & The Broken Bones' first album from Elusive Disc. Old school R&B/funk. They just played at Riverbend Friday night. Great show, great music. Hoping this will prove to be the same.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Splurged a bit myself on some re-issues. A couple have already arrived, Björk: Debut, sounds quite good and happy to finally have it on vinyl; and Nirvana: Unplugged, the ORG reissue is absolutely fantastic, great pressing, sound wonderful. Still waiting to receive Björk: Vespertine, Air: Premiers Symptômes and Air: Talkie Walkie. I've been considering splashing the cash for a couple of these on original issues, but they've all been a bit more than I've wanted to spend so figured why not. So far so good on the sound quality front. Gonna hafta take a vinyl buying break for a bit now, been on a splurge ever since tax money came back and the well's about to dry up for a while.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Went to a thrift store today, picked up 21 LPs for 25¢ each. Not shown: The Call "Scene Beyond Dreams."
Third row, last: Remixes of Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning."

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Nice find on the Scorps....not that its rare or anything, just cool to see in that lot.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Nice find on the Scorps....not that its rare or anything, just cool to see in that lot.
The most interesting to me is the last one in the photo- Stravinski's Firebird- conducted by ol' Igor himself! (1962, mono). The Harold Budd Abandoned Cities is another one that piques me. I was surprised that there were so few homebrew gospel recordings, and most of the ones that I picked are pretty close to E condition. Of course, the SpinClean will reveal the flaws that the dust hides.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Here's my haul for trading in a box of doubles.

John Coltrane: Blue Train
Big John Patton: Oh Baby
Impressions: Check Out Your Mind
Beach Blvd. Compilation
Aphex Twin: Windowlicker
Oliver Nelson: Blues and the Abstract Truth
Martha Bass: I'm So Grateful

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The most interesting to me is the last one in the photo- Stravinski's Firebird- conducted by ol' Igor himself! (1962, mono). The Harold Budd Abandoned Cities is another one that piques me. I was surprised that there were so few homebrew gospel recordings, and most of the ones that I picked are pretty close to E condition. Of course, the SpinClean will reveal the flaws that the dust hides.

I dig the Starship/........

Nick Danger

Beach Blvd. Compilation
WOW! Very nice additions to the stash.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
WOW! Very nice additions to the stash.
Yeah, I was very happy about the copy of Blue Train in particular. Originals of that are out of my range, but this is one of the solid blue label 70s reissues, which I find sound very good and are often available at reasonable prices. And this one is in great shape. Been wanting a copy of that Beach Blvd. for a while. I have a fondness for punk compilations of that era as I remember being broke and getting to hear more bands for the money of those things back in the day. Let Them Eat Jellybeans and Posh Hits being a couple long-time favorites I've managed to hold onto over the years.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Havent posted in this thread in a while it seems.

Tycho - Awake and Raven - Live 2lp on banzai label.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Iron Maiden - Book Of Souls. Just dropped yesterday. Looking forward to checking this one out later today.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Yeah the Tycho album is pretty chill. I like it.

The maiden...you need to hear it for yourself. Exceptional from start to finish.

Northwinds

Tagline

Beach Blvd. Compilation
Is the Blue Train an original? I had a copy but sold it last year, it's a great record

EDIT just read futher down it's a later issue. Still an awesome record!!!

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline

Got these this week and finally upgraded my Delicate Sounds of Thunder. My copy had moisture damage to the cover though the records were minty. A friend hooked me up