Record Stores... Whats your latest buy?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---

Got these this week and finally upgraded my Delicate Sounds of Thunder. My copy had moisture damage to the cover though the records were minty. A friend hooked me up
The MFSL versions of MMT and Abbey Road are THE two best analog remasters I've ever heard out of the Beatles catalog.
So nice score !

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Basically, with the 3 posted above, these are all the vinyl I picked up over the whole summer. Slow summer really, feeling less than inspired with the selection these days down at Bluestreak. Only stopped in twice all summer but as I said, not much grabbing my attention. Missed the shop owner both times as well.

These 2 were pre-order's from a few months back that came in, in the last week or two.

The top 2 in this photo both came from discogs. Both my first and second purchases through that site. The second purchase, Faster Pussycat, turned out to be a local seller here in town, so I was able to stop by and grab that one myself. What are the odds, that my second purchase, with listings from all over the world, ended up here in town.

So we have,

Buckcherry - Rock N Roll
The Sword - High Country
Salty Dog - Every Dog Has Its Day
Faster Pussycat

And lastly, Offspring re released Americana. Been looking for a vinyl copy of that for years now.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just heard some tracks off this one on the local FM station that has Alice Cooper dj'ing at night.

This Maiden sounds solid ! :happy2:

Iron Maiden - Book Of Souls. Just dropped yesterday. Looking forward to checking this one out later today.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Took a trip to Kansas City and discovered they have quite a selection of record stores. I didn't hit them all, but picked up a few things at Josey's Records, Half Price Books, Boss Hooligan, and 7th Heaven's Vinyl Underground. There were still several shops I didn't have time to visit what with spending so much time eating bbq and day drinking. Maybe next time. Anyway, this was the haul for the trip:

Talking Heads: The Name of This Band is Talking Heads
Roy Orbison: Crying
Sweet Emma and Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band: New Orleans' Sweet Emma And Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band
The Lovin' Spoonful: Everything Playing
Ohio Express: Chewy Chewy
Ike Turner: Blues Roots
Various Artists: Detroit Blues
The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz Goes to College
Shirley Scott: Soul Searching
PJ Harvey: To Bring You My Love
The Crystals: Sing Their Greatest Hits
Dennis Alcapone: Forever Version
Kraftwerk: The Man Machine
Nina Simone: Nina at Newport
Charlie Parker: The Charlie Parker Story, Vol 1
Charlie Parker: The Charlie Parker Story, Vol 2
Ken Boothe: Mr. Rock Steady

Also picked up a Junior Byles 45 with a great Lee Perry dub on the flip side and a 45 by Boss Hooligan Soundsystem.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Nothing from a record store but I won a sealed original Jet - Get Born lp off eBay, should be here today but I won't be opening it, just put it in with my sealed collection since I have the CD also

I also won a very obscure Lynyrd Skynyrd 2lp set from Japan just titled Lynyrd Skynyrd. I never saw another copy before. Danimal69 came down from NH yesterday to hangout for a few hours and he saw the auction and said the same thing, looks like a very rare promo only type release on MCA

This is what it looks like, link to the auction. No info on discogs about it at all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281841744026?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I picked up a sealed Horselips- Man Who Built America album. Oldie but goodie. Now I just need to get a platter for my RP6/8 and a cartridge and I can listen to it. Anybody got a platter for Rega RP6/8? Prefer an Acrylic..... I got some good stuff to trade

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Been getting a bit carried away of late. Too lazy to take pictures, but grabbed these at the $2 table at a record show over the weekend:

Sugarhill Records - Street Beat
Johnny Eaton And His Princetonians - Far Out, Near In
Eddie Harris - Sings The Blues
The Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues At Carnegie Hall
Sonny Rollins - There Will Never Be Another You
The Modern Jazz Quartet - Fontessa
Stan Getz • Gerry Mulligan • Harry Edison, Louis Bellson And The Oscar Peterson Trio - Jazz Giants '58
The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Modern Jazz Quartet
The Capitols - Dance The Cool Jerk With The Capitols
Oscar Peterson - The Oscar Peterson Collection
Johnny Burnette / The Rock 'N Roll Trio - Tear It Up
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
Little Anthony And The Imperials - Forever Yours
Joe Tex - The Love You Save
Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock
Jay And The Americans - Jay And The Americans Greatest Hits
Paul Barbarin & His Jazz Band / Punch Miller's Bunch & George Lewis - Jazz At Preservation Hall III

Then, not quite so cheap, but less than half of what I've often seen them go for I grabbed:
The Slickers: Breakthrough (original version, only one with the extended disco style mixes of all tracks on side one, NM)
Booker T. and the MGs: Hip Hug Her (reel to reel tape in perfect condition, box a bit worn)

Then last weekend a very fruitful trip to a thrift shop got me these:
Skip James - The Complete 1931 Session
Billie Holiday - The Golden Years 3xLP
The Young-Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut
Philip Glass - 1000 Airplanes On The Roof
Electric Light Orchestra - Olé ELO
Sunny Ade - The Master Guitarist Vol. 1

A few random arrivals over the last month or so in the mail or at local record shops:
Robert Turman: Macro
Dead Boys: Young, Loud and Snotty
Cramps: Songs the Lord Taught Us
Run the Jewels II
Ze Records Christmas Record
James Brown: Soulful Christmas
Lee Perry: Cloak & Dagger
Willie Williams: Armagideon Time
Strategy: Noise Tape Self
The Best of Beverly's Records
More of Ken Boothe
Wavves: V
Tuff Scout: Inna London Dub
I-Roy: Cancer
Staple Singers: Respect Yourself
James Brown: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
Subhumans: Rats 7"
and more reggae singles than I care to type out right now. I think I just started crawling down a rabbit hole that will never end with these.

Have also picked up some bargain pre-recorded cassettes, including Misfits: Walk Among Us, Twin Peaks Soundtrack, 21st Century Dub, Kraftwerk: The Mix and a couple others.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nothing from a record store but I won a sealed original Jet - Get Born lp off eBay, should be here today but I won't be opening it, just put it in with my sealed collection since I have the CD also

I also won a very obscure Lynyrd Skynyrd 2lp set from Japan just titled Lynyrd Skynyrd. I never saw another copy before. Danimal69 came down from NH yesterday to hangout for a few hours and he saw the auction and said the same thing, looks like a very rare promo only type release on MCA

This is what it looks like, link to the auction. No info on discogs about it at all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281841744026?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Does this help? 1981 release.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=528445

orange

Tagline
Whiffer: Nope, and SLF owned a P5 or got one to replace his last one, gone now. I will search for you.

Nobody...DAYUM...if it were any other thing we'd have to put you in rehab! :hello1:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Dave: The vinyl craze has really got a hold of you. And you managed to find a pre-recorded reel of Booker T and the MGs. That's about the same ratio I expect when out looking for used music. For every 200 records I might luck out with one pre-recorded reel.

Nando.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Dave: The vinyl craze has really got a hold of you. And you managed to find a pre-recorded reel of Booker T and the MGs. That's about the same ratio I expect when out looking for used music. For every 200 records I might luck out with one pre-recorded reel.

Nando.
Yeah, the reel tapes are pretty rare to come across at a price I'll pay. was in a shop recently and they had some Everly Brothers reel tapes I was interested in but wanted $40 each for 'em and I couldn't quite justify it. Tons of the same crap you find in thrift stores on vinyl for cheap, but anything decent on reel is usually costly.

Viny bug has had me bad for years now. And with expanded shelf space I feel free to pick up those big piles when I find something cheap. Actually just found a couple more on my doorstep last night, straight from Jamaica. Jackie Opel's Greatest Hits on original Studio One and an original issue Studio One compilation called Oldies but Goodies with a ton of great pre-ska Jamaican soul and ska tracks. Strangely, the covers are absolutely trashed with rips and a really strong smoke odor, yet the vinyl inside is about as nice and clean as I've ever come across for Jamaican pressing of this era. Horrible covers, pristine vinyl. Much better than the other way around.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I saw that reference Steven, it does not give any info about the release and it's funny that none are for sale anywhere that I have checked. Discogs has no info on it and it's not listed in the Skynyrd discography (that I have found). I see a signed copy on Collectors Frenzy also but NO release info at all

I am just happy to have a very uncommon pressing coming since most Skynyrd records are pretty common

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Ron, I have a couple promo records on MCA from that period, one being Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises, and MCA would notch and stamp them with a gold stamped message as being such. It's a shame if you don't have the OBI that should be with a complete copy.

Most record companies did similar. Warner Bros. actually sold compilations by mail order (Loss Leaders) and Columbia had a couple or three EPs and samplers in the early eighties (such as New Music Seminars), some for record dealers, some for the public, and I have a couple c.1981-2 as record stores would often give them to customers after they were through with them, got them from dogface1956 of TH and eBay (Dead Duck Records store).

Dazen1

Been getting a bit carried away of late...
That is quite a haul.

I'd love to buy this much music - but I'd never get the time to listen to it all. My purchases these days are limited to just a handful of albums a year!

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That is quite a haul.

I'd love to buy this much music - but I'd never get the time to listen to it all. My purchases these days are limited to just a handful of albums a year!
I can't say I don't have a bit of catching up to do right about now. But, I usually get in a few albums most days. I'm up early and get at least one in with coffee in the mornings and usually have at least some time in the evening for another or more, I pretty much never turn on the TV so anytime I'm home, I'm playing something. But yeah, after a big haul like this over the last month or two, time to sit back and listen for a while.... probably.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You are a fortunate man.

For serious listening; I'm lucky if I get four or five hours a week...
Well, I don't know how serious most of my listening is. But there are a few advantages to being a bit of an insomniac such as having a few extra hours of alone time in the house on a regular basis. I do need to start working on a better headphone setup though as now that I have someone living here with me I have to watch the volume when listening at unusual times.