Pioneer SX-880 resurrection

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I had considered wood, but it’s a PITA for such a low value unit.

This replaced the factory stuff.

I noticed that after the film was applied they apparently cleared the whole mess in Japan. Over the black painted metal too.

If I can get the metal cleaned off (I already know I can get it off the edge banding I am not replacing) I’ll re clear the entire thing when I’m done. That’ll help hold the edges down too.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It’s actually quite a bit harder to work with than shelf liner. Much thinner and much stickier.

I cut the top piece large but still ripped it three times. I also cleaned the tan under layer with acetone, which melted it a bit, so it should be well stuck. I wrapped the back edge under and the front it tucked in so it’ll be under the face plate top. The original was done like wood- applied before cutting so it was only on the top surface.

The sides will be easy and then I just (maybe) clear it. After I rebuild the damaged corners.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I had considered wood, but it’s a PITA for such a low value unit.

This replaced the factory stuff.

I noticed that after the film was applied they apparently cleared the whole mess in Japan. Over the black painted metal too.

If I can get the metal cleaned off (I already know I can get it off the edge banding I am not replacing) I’ll re clear the entire thing when I’m done. That’ll help hold the edges down too.

I spent a week refinishing a cheap turntable, and you have spent a lot of hour working on a set up you don't even know will work when you get done spending a hundred more hours, why is the receiver any different?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
theew the side pieces on today after a touch of brown paint on some edges.
FD052CC3-43C5-47B2-83C2-9703EEDCB86D.jpeg 34115A43-9528-4E85-AC49-FE9CA655AB57.jpeg
wrapped around the bottom to help hold it and protect the bottom edge.

733E8165-D1CF-4D04-8209-6B3CF1044C24.jpeg 31F4A538-A3EC-4FDC-90CE-7E36C5FFB83F.jpeg
trim edges and cut the holes out. Pretty easy.

122E572F-E737-4BBF-85E9-6C251A43D665.jpeg
not too bad from a distance.

16E318B8-F044-4003-A64F-CE15E834DEFA.jpeg
Now the question is: shall we clear it as was done originally? (Cleared scrap for reference)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The clear replicates what the factory did. If you zoom in you can see old clear on the black grille and also on the original trim I left on the edges of the side boards.

I think I have some semi-gloss I can try tomorrow.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Personally I like it without the clear, I would also be concerned that in time the clear would start to peel. Vinyl will offgas over time, they do make “plastic” spray paint but there are hundreds of vinyl formulations so longevity could still be an issue.