Pioneer SX-880 resurrection

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I need to do something with the wood case. I’d like to use a real veneer but vinyl has its appeal… someone posted elsewhere a Wal Mart option that looked good…

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
WOW!

put the “antenna” on and got this without even touching the tuning…

View attachment 59523

Also confirmed the other LEDs work- AM, Phono and Aux.
J!m,

Isn't it great when it seems like they just want to run? BTW, really nice clean up job on the dial, front panel, & knobs!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thanks!

Im glad it’s not output devices.

I try to get as much info as I can before I go in. Service manual and any videos of the exact model before I start. One video showed a tech with one of these that would run fine for a few minutes and then go dead. Once it sat a while it would run again and then shut down again. (Those a re fun problems to find!)

In that case, it was this regulator. His worked fine and would fault open when it got hot enough- he had the bad one on the meter on his bench, measuring fine. He touched it with his iron and it went open. A few minutes later it was working again.

Armed with that, I knew to give that a good look. Once mine powered up and was essentially dead, I immediately went to that regulator, which had clearly cooked the board. Open. Nothing else looks bad but it could probably benefit from fresh caps at this point.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Cleaned the face and got some contact paper from Walmart today…

B4AE698F-74B8-43F7-B1FE-72D4E3151F3E.jpeg

Added fresh foam on the sides. Original stuff turned to dust

32EB54E6-BA06-4EFB-A3E3-90FDF6012431.jpeg

Foil tape on the underside. I saw someone did this and based on the three dark spots in the wood, not a bad idea.
0DB44E37-B2BB-4AB0-BF32-985F254FC0C6.jpeg

The contact paper is not as nice as the original stuff. Found some 3M branded stuff that costs more than actual walnut, which is about $65 to cover this thing

027F87BB-3122-421E-B3C8-5B769DD9476B.jpeg B681F5C9-08FE-4E58-A19A-4DCD4435F040.jpeg

Then I got (what I though was) a clever idea: swap boxes with the SX-580! Although not perfect, it’s better than this. The two boxes have different parts numbers so I don’t think that will work.

So, what do you think? Put in the $6 contact paper; $65 walnut veneer (plus finishing costs), or something else?

Tagline
Q: Are you building it for youself, or are you going to restore it/sell it in order to help fund another project? I know that this would make a difference to me if this was my project...

Tagline
PS - Nice job on that face! To tell you the truth, a pretty face like that will draw a potential purchaser's eye...so the wood finish becomes more of a background thing. (It's very rare to see a vintage receiver look that clean & crisp -- plus the sharpness of the photo, it makes for a convincing combo.

(edit) I just took another look at the 'before' pictures. If it were mine (or if I was a potential customer) I think the top of the priority list would be to find a replacement part for the missing piece on the On-Off switch. Then (given the cost of the veneer) possibly find a parts receiver with a nice case + damaged other stuff for short money...and swap bits around?

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
To address the switch: done. New old switch and new old cap for it inbound, along with a bunch of other stuff (screws, feet etc.) to get it back to square one. Only the exterior finish holds it back. I even got new bulbs, although the originals still work (which indicates low hours to me)

The face came out decent I think. Better than the 580, which doesn’t look bad. In a dark room. From five feet away.

I may pop over to woodcraft, with the cover, and see what I can see there. Maybe I’ll go rosewood or something fancy… I thought it might not look bad in piano black lacquer, but that’d take a bit of work to pull off.

As to the fate of it? Not sure. I have the 580 and 880 working now. A 780 from Lee when it’s convenient for him. I wouldn’t mind a 680, for a photo op if nothing else. And then, decide what to keep and what to let go.

As I mentioned to Lee: top of the line does not necessarily guarantee sonic bliss.

It amazes me just how similar they all are under the skin. More watts, a few more gizmos but not much different as you move up the food chain; quite identical at 30 watts or less I’d say.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Oh, and I thought it was interesting that the 580 is not adjustable. You do not set idle current or offset voltage on it. There is no procedure in the service manual! (Only setting the AM and FM tuners)

And another surprise: with the Kenwoods, you get more watts, yes, as you move up. But you also get more tuner gangs. Pioneer may have made other improvements to their tuners as you move up, but up to the 880, they all seem to be three gang tuners. I was not expecting that.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yeah, I might. Have to go see what they have. I want to see it first hand to match the grain pattern as closely as I can. Mail order doesn’t work well for that.

And all my parts are in, so I can put it back together. They arrived after I left work (7:30pm delivery) so hopefully second shift put the box inside…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Actually the parts arrived today.

The USPS seems to like saying they leave a package, when they don't ACTUALLY leave a package...

I have cover screws, bottom screws, feet, light bulbs, power switch and power switch "lever/cover" thing.

I didn't get out to see about veneer for it yet...

George S.

Actually the parts arrived today.

The USPS seems to like saying they leave a package, when they don't ACTUALLY leave a package...

I have cover screws, bottom screws, feet, light bulbs, power switch and power switch "lever/cover" thing.

I didn't get out to see about veneer for it yet...
I scrounge quite a bit or red and white oak from pallets and wooden shipping crates from the local Tractor Supply Company store. They usually have a huge pile behind the store, and have sometimes found walnut, poplar, ash, and other hardwoods. Every now and then I find something exotic from a overseas shipment I can't identify. I have quite a bit of a dark wood I think is mahogany from some large crates.
Most of it is somewhat thin, and I do watch for nails, but it can be dressed with a home sized surface planar and glued up. Free is best!

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I actually had (maybe still have) some boards from a crate…

When I made guitars I bought a decent bit of common and exotic woods from one particular supplier. His main gig was hardwood flooring, but any “bad” pieces (read: too highly figured for flooring), went to the side room. That’s where I spent my time unless I was grabbing white oak for jigs and fixtures.

Anyway, one day he had something for us. It was red hued but he (the lumber expert with his own kiln) couldn’t identify it. His building was formerly a button factory. Back when buttons were made of mother of Pearl. A lot of shells came from Australia, and this board was a shell crate side from Australia. Henceforth known as “Australian crate wood”.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Back to the 880:
47F3644B-31D9-4D4E-B5AF-FD83467AC028.jpeg
Feet with new felt

3E42F9E1-9364-4A96-ADFC-52DFBE0BB36F.jpeg
Replaced the power switch

99C966EA-228A-45BE-B478-4B91D1E9FC34.jpeg
replaced the light bulbs with new incandescent bulbs (view in a dim room)

17A37F52-9D01-4C42-B409-98971019EE13.jpeg
lookin’ spiffy! The power switch got a switch cover too, so she’s lookin’ factree.

D1B60797-DE83-4AF8-A325-9DB07AAEE047.jpeg
Backlit with the lights on. She looks decent now.

37DE6C34-FB25-477D-819A-F7EDA964C038.jpeg
power cord had an unfortunate run-in with an angry food processor during the Regan administration. After washing with electrical cleaner I slathered liquid electrical tape on it. It’s easily eight percent better that tape from the roll.

FFC47989-7BA5-4E2C-9678-A02C2775CD54.jpeg
These old bulbs work but pretty well sputtered now. I saved them.

To remove, use your 3/8 or so shrink tubing and slide it on the bulb. Pull quickly and she comes right out. Get the bulb out of the tubing and repeat. I also cleaned the plastic light-Aimer apparatus where the bulbs were. Found one dehydrated insect and a generous helping of filth. All good now.

I’ll see about swapping it in for the 580 this weekend maybe…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
She’s got her scars but she cleaned up well.

The case is the biggest let down. Doing it in real walnut seems like it would make the face look worse. I don’t know. I’m going to listen to it for a while while I figure that out.

I grabbed a can of Watco oil today- light walnut color for $5 I think. Clearance. I also got a couple cans of plastic cleaner for 50 cents a can on clearance. Home Depot.

Meanwhile my TangoSpinner parts are shipping tomorrow. I think I’ll have the plinth about the same time so I’m going to be busy with that pretty soon.