NeverSatisfied is getting a fresh d500

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The early PL systems are sometimes populated with really shitty mother/daughter boards and are near impossible to work on. The Star Trek joystick pre's are the biggest pieces of junk ever built. Nothing wrong with having a full PL system but there are better options when wanting to "Up the Ante". When you go out and spend thousands of dollars on a KILLER turntable and then back it up with sub-par pre's/amps, it's counter intuitive.

Just sayin

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
I'm not saying your system is sub par...... I'm just saying
No worries Perry, I never really was going for an ultimate audiophile system. But I do understand that the system is only as strong as it’s weakest link and the preamps I have are certainly not at the level that the WOPL upgraded amps can use. I think in the end I will be happier with getting the PL preamps performing the best they can and live with them as the weakest link. The Carver C1 option might be a good compromise on the aesthetics, so I will add it to the search list.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Make a daughter board (or boards) that interface with the main board. Then the daughter board can be changed for different controls without a total redesign of the motherboard.

Or, just run pigtails off the pots to holes in the motherboard. Then form and placement are not critical.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I guess I am just stuck on the “all PL” system idea.
I personally dont mind having different makes of components, but am quite attached to the PL P3600. Lee did such a good job on making that unit sing. An all PL system looks great. You could leave the 3000 in there and have an Acurus hiding elsewhere :evil4:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I personally dont mind having different makes of components, but am quite attached to the PL P3600. Lee did such a good job on making that unit sing. An all PL system looks great. You could leave the 3000 in there and have an Acurus hiding elsewhere :evil4:

Just like me, I have Sansui Tuner, PL 700 II Amp, Acurus RL-11 Pre..... It's all black and all individual components have EXCELLENT specs after doing some magic. There is too much stuff out there in the same era which perform SUPER great together to be stuck with a brand must match system.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Just like me, I have Sansui Tuner, PL 700 II Amp, Acurus RL-11 Pre..... It's all black and all individual components have EXCELLENT specs after doing some magic. There is too much stuff out there in the same era which perform SUPER great together to be stuck with a brand must match system.
Yup PL400 Series 1, Acurus RL11 preamp, Oppo SACD player, Yamaha T-85 tuner. Nothing matches but is a premium setup

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Spencer: Whoa - that's good to hear Glen is building a D-500 Series Two for you.

Here's a few flashback memories of some of Glen's offerings at the 2019 Innovative Audio Garage Sale.

View attachment 60814
View attachment 60815
View attachment 60816
View attachment 60817
View attachment 60818

You can check this thread for more photos of the Garage Sale: Innovative Audio Annual Audio & Record Garage Sale, June 16, 2019 | Phoenix Audio Community Forums (phxaudiotape.com)

Nando.
Using that packaging material under the cloth on top of the plastic table is a great idea that I just stole from you. Those are just fantastic amplifiers !

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I’m liking the looks of that Acurus preamp. The carver looks good too but I’d like a remote. I guess I could add one later…..
This is like my third Acurus RL-11 (The R means Remote) in the last few years. Every time I sell it and move to a different Carver, I end up coming back. It doesn't have the Phono Amp but I built a nice Rotel Phono amp after finding an upgrade thread on the net. I won't pull the RL-11 out of the system again. The best $500 I ever spent.