It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
And every few daze or so I get what sounds like a bitcoin miner virus thing alert from AVG so I doubt I'm really any help to whomever hacked that...

If I go find one of my GeForce 7800 GTX cards then I can delay using the furnace until later...

PS Almost certain Web sent one or both.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Still zipping around with this thing, forgot how NICE it is...

orange

Tagline
Dug around and maxed the memory for Phoebe to 4 1GB 800m MHz/PC2-6400 modules (3.25 GB usable at 667 MHz.

Installed Firefox while I was at it, so now I'm at parity with Alison in the other room. Works NICE.

orange

Tagline
I got a Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 (rev 4.1) motherboard fully installed in a really ugly case and ready to test.

After that I'll give the board Darcy sent me hooked up and see about getting that online as well.

orange

Tagline
I think everything went fine, I didn't really attempt to change any settings, the board didn't find it's previous configuration and figured it out and the no MBR errors (Master Boot Record) on drives 1 and 2 were going to be expected as both drives were wiped.

orange

Tagline
Firefox is now up to version 59.0 now and should have updated itself when you opened the browser a day or so back.

orange

Tagline
I did a quick formatting of the 465 GB drive that used to have Emily's Windows on it and will try to install a 32-bit version of Linux Mint if I can. Two of my 80 GB SATA drives will not register al all when I plug them into the quick dock. I cleared out a lot of the second bedroom/storage/shop including putting all my new tapes in some order.

I have a lot of room in here now.

orange

Tagline
Got another ancient (2006) 'toy', although it's a good toy.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00806803#AbT0

It's XP SP3 with Media Center running 32-bit OS. Has the minimum 2 GB RAM.

What can I do to get 7 on this? I'm not sure I have any more licenses left of my 32 bit disc, if I do still have one. It has a TV card of some sort, DVI card, S video, firewire, and empty dock up front for a 'personal media drive' and other neat crap, 2006 vintage with a 2014 XP version...in other words, neat crap and can take 8GB of PC2-4200...

Has both the DVD drives but I disconnected the RW to hook the HD in.

FWIW, it works, and it's not beaten up.

I do have PC2-4200 RAM, in what amounts I will have to look. It's probably a decent piece of crap and a huge added drive or two might help. I have a 465 GB former 7 HD I formatted from Emily and a 320 for a third, but it's the size of Alison.

Attachments

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I just spent half the night fumbling getting things out of the way and back in after installing 5 GB of RAM (somehow got a 2 GB PC2-6400 in there with the other three 1 GB modules but it's not complaining right now).

Learned how to take it apart and rebuild it, the downside is that it doesn't have eight cylinders.

So now I still have a 2014 version of XP with Media Center. It runs fast though. And it's SILVER with BLUE illumination, for you vintage buffs...

So now all I need is 7 or to be able to use all of the happy crap on it, cards included.

There were TWO SATA DVD drives, I left the ROM in for the moment so I have an RW to use on the other chassis I'm working on.

Long night but I did something worth it for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I got tired of trying to find my upgrade 32-bit copy of Windows 7 for now so since I can't seem to get past IE 8 to 9 at least I got rid of all traces of FF 11 and finally installed ESR 52.whatever and am working on making this PC more secure.

And her name is Wylla (as in willow).

Now to make something of her.

orange

Tagline
I did what I could for now, now to work on bikes. It's 81F out there.

orange

Tagline
A few weeks have gone by and I have a new installation of W7 running and I found my DSL login info, I'm just getting the settings adjusted to get the network online (it's there, it was trying to find a wireless connection that doesn't exist).

I've already installed some of my basic stuff on Wylla but I haven't gotten the video stuff or unknown device up yet.

More to do.

orange

Tagline
Doofus moment aka D'OH!

Internet cable was not plugged in!

Wylla is updating now!

(I hope)

orange

Tagline
She hiccupped a little (it's 1.5 GB and nearly 200 updates) but it's updating now.

Gonna be fun! :blob5:

orange

Tagline
Just choogling along with more updates and such...had to take a nap for Pete's sake.

orange

Tagline
I've almost wrapped up updating and other than getting some settings and programs installed am done.

That's good because I've had 3 BSOD's in the last two daze on Alison and the computer dumped.

orange

Tagline
Well, GEE...

I finally got my Linux computer Linnea to start up, but the fan motor took off and the smoke started to pour out of it!

I can salvage the RAM, hard drives, a sound card and some cables but that was ridiculous :(

Not the fireworks I wanted.

orange

Tagline
Started tearing Linnea down today and to my real dismay when I went to pull the drives I noticed that one of the SATA power connections had MELTED in the middle. If the RAM survived, I still have a DVD-R in an empty case.

Linnea is named after the horror movie star of classics like Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, Linnea Quigley (You'll pay an arm and a leg!) so I guess that's a fitting end...:pale:

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
PS Jerry, I had the following error message while editing the last post:

Warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in ..../editpost.php on line 323

Warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in ..../editpost.php on line 327

Also don't know where this BOX came from...Gone now...maybe I should go back to Firefox a while.

Last edited by a moderator: