It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
After so long fussing with the way suggested by a guy on Microsoft Answers and Microsoft to restore the Windows Update service, I finally happened on a program on MajorGeeks.com, downloaded it and BINGO, Emily started updating after nearly six months. ABOUT TIME.

orange

Tagline
I made the big mistake the other day and opted to try the new version of AVG...I have finally got the thing OFF Emily and am trying a new antivirus. If/when AVG (now owned by Avast) decides to switch Phoebe over I should be ready to switch completely, if not sooner.

I and apparently dozens if not hundreds I see on the AVG Community Forums are not happy and you have a ton of users posting to say f--- off and good bye. I would guess that would be a sign.

orange

Tagline
I got the right version back on Emily and have her off for a bit while I get Valerie back to current, the MPC hasn't been used since 11/30 last year.

Saw a nice bit of PC2 6400, a few 5300 and even three PC3 10600 at $2 a piece...I asked a family member to help some if they could as I really needed those 1GB modules to get otherwise idle yet working machines running without swapping and these come up invariably when I'm unable to get them.

orange

Tagline
I guess I can throw the switch and see if the monster rises from his slab before I go to bed now.

orange

Tagline
Well, I got this after changing the settings to read SATA as IDE and other stuff, no boot...

Sounds good enough for now.

dndgbvdgfnfdgdntgfgnardsfgfgmnjhgzdgfjhsgfesdthgsAEfgeargdserhyr 010.jpg
Don't suspect either of the drives have anything on them.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
And now after a chance location of the old Linux drive I am actually posting from the same machine. No Windows yet. :occasion6:

What's in the box... https://www.cnet.com/products/mpc-c...6300-1-86ghz-512mb-ram-80gb-hdd-xp-pro/specs/

2 GB PC2-5300U 2x 80 GB HDDs, two DVD-RW drives at the moment...could hold either my 500 or 320 GB IDE drive as well as a DVD drive because that is the one IDE connection.

Actually NOT a piece of junk...they were worth the 20 bucks!

Meanwhile I found another 2x 256 MB PC3200 to bring Valerie up to 2.5 GB and maybe get some Geritol in her.

orange

Tagline
You're not going to believe this...the computer orphanage and parts refuge just got a ton of more stuff donated by the computer shop. Only one tower (fairly old HP/Compaq) and a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop with an XP sticker inside and 2000 Pro COA on the bottom, three Tripp-Lite SATA quick ports, one with the power supply...processors both loose and on boards (a few AM3 and some Intel) and a BIG BOX OF MEMORY (and I have no idea yet what all is in there or memory size of each one)...CPU shrouds, replacement keyboard pads...just a tonne of stuff.

I don't know whether to holler for joy or shrug yet. I'll get some pictures up shortly, and there is a card reader in there too.

orange

Tagline
First batch of pictures attached.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Got an Apple thingie as well...what the heck is it, a computer, external gizmo?

computer stuff 007.jpg computer stuff 008.jpg computer stuff 009.jpg

AHA! It's a PowerPC G4...but that's all there is of it.​

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
This RAM was separate from the big tub o' RAM and CPUs...The first batch of Kingstons are pretty busy looking and I have to look them up to see what these are.

RAM HUH WAHT.jpg RAM but huh 004.jpg

This board looks practically brand new, and other than lack of documentation and whatever else came in the box, it probably is.

like new maybe it is mobo (1).jpg like new maybe it is mobo (2).jpg

orange

Tagline
And there are two Asus boards, one with another 2.20 GHz Pentium dual core and another with a Pentium quad core. I have enough PC2-6400/800MHz 1 and 2 GB to make some mighty large total RAM for a couple-3 computers and I think I got all the SDRAM and other laptop/other modules they had spare. a bunch of really long SATA cables too. I just slipped a card reader into one of the MPC 385s and I have to find where it plugs in now.

Having fun with all that crap :)

orange

Tagline
There are the screen, frame and other parts of an HP widescreen notebook, lots of keyboards, mice of all types, I found the Inspiron's power supply but not the odd power cord they came with (three circles in a triangle, kinda like Mickey Mouse) the Apple's keyboard but no power supply or idea how to get video out.

I'm sure I can find the cord for the Latitude and try to start it.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
I managed to locate the mini USB to regular USB and the one power adapter I could find for the Triipp-Lite SATA Quick Docks and Ho and LeBold I got me a D: to register! Then I plugged my WD Passort into the USB jacks on the base and BINGO!

Wicked KEWL!

I also figured out where to plug the 4-pin card reader (the four pin side of the USB2, red wire to red from as compared to the other plug). I have it ready to load, I hope, with 8 GB of PC2-6400 and I tried to match it as best as I could, if it doesn't work right I'll have to pull a pair and try again.

I got a lot of 256 and 512 MB DDR for all of the 1 and 2 GB and even more SDRAM but I'm getting somewhere. Now if I could only fix the power cables on the IDE USB drive adapters you sent me way back then or find a snap on IDE to SATA adapter that will let the drive slip into the SATA drive adapter.

This is pretty fun junk indeed, more useful than stuff this time.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
the only ting holding me back with Alison is getting the comm/internet related drivers installed, won't go yet and HP seems to have discontinued carrying the drivers.

orange

Tagline
After proceeding carefully and scanning I found at least the network driver so I can finish updating and install the antivirus. Little victory!

orange

Tagline
I had the wrong version of 7 Home Premium but I got that fixed. It's been rainy so it has been perfect to get things fixed around here. Hopefully I can spend time tomorrow finishing painting my bike frame!