It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hey, Web! Try this on for size!

I got back over to the computer after a bit away and AVG told me IE had used 927 MB of memory! Mother Of Pearl?

I only had two Yahoo! pages open...this is Valerie.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
First open up the task manager and see how much memory IE is really using. Second shut down the browser and see if that clears it. if not reboot the computer. An average webpage will use approximately 60 to 100mb of memory. But yeah 927mb seems like way too much . Are you sure it was reporting ram memory or hd cache?

No doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me. Sounds like a browser issue. try another browser and see if that one has issues. I would try Firefox or Chrome. If it does something similar then you know it isn't the browser.

Have you tried resetting IE to defaults?
Tools > Internet Options > Advances (tab) > Reset (button) > Check the box > Click Reset
This will fix problems with Dells more often than not regardless of the issue.

Heavy memory usage is often tied to one of the following in IE:
* Site Scripts. Scripting can cause endless loops when they are not written well, which consumes RAM.
*Add-Ons =- Another major culprit. Disable all of them and see what happens.
* Media streaming sites. For example: Pandora.com is great to stream music, but if you leave it on all day, take a look at the task manager for the memory usage. You will soon understand.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would also consider looking at your virtual memory. You should have a system managed page file, or a file that is divisible by 8 (as in bits, yes). If this is the case, re-create it. Your memory should dump before warning of low memory in IE, and if it isn't it COULD be a bad paging file. Not as likely, but possible. If something is filling the page file before it can dump, or if it is not dumping at all, then something should show up in Event Viewer (Application and/or IE and/or System)

Of course scan for rootkits, spyware, viruses and the like.

If none of that works maybe it is time to retire Valerie.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I didn't send a power cord as I assummed that you like everyone else has a bunch of those around? Let me know if you need ps2 or usb kb or mice as I can scrounge up some.

I forgot to send the usb floppy drive too. that will get sent in a future shipment.
I have a Citizen X1-IDE? is it but I have no driver found yet.

If you have it or that one works I might need it...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have a Citizen X1-IDE? is it but I have no driver found yet.

If you have it or that one works I might need it...
Unless is is a really obscure brand Win 7 should have a driver for it. I see you said citizen so yes that would be obscure.

orange

Tagline
It registers as that but it's BRANDED iomega.

orange

Tagline
Good Lord! Now Valerie quit and the power light came on but no startup and the plug was rather warm when I pulled it from the PS...

Also it's a witch to type on Vera now and then. Have to update crap.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Could be a bad power supply, or possibly a bad power circuit in the motherboard. I'd check the psu first then look at the top of the caps on the motherboard. Are they bulging?

Did you give the Dell a name yet. I need a little cheat sheet so I can tell the difference between valerie, vera and polyglot rex. :-o

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
A POLYGLOT is a thing, not a name = huge pile of various STUFF...POLYGLOT REX = a huge, lumbering master folder.

Valerie - MPC #1, subject of the bulk of this thread

Delia - MPC #2, named after the famed BBC Radiophonic Workshop pioneer who created the first version of the original arrangement of the Doctor Who theme.

Vera - The Dell you sent me for my birthday.

I can recall most of my cats I've had in the last eight years here as well...:cat:

And I don't care how many mice, keyboards. OSes or what I change out on them, it's always frickin fussy when you either type or just click to save or enter...why?

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
A POLYGLOT is a thing, not a name = huge plié of various STUFF...POLYGLOT REX = a huge, lumbering master folder.

Valerie - MPC #1, subject of the bulk of this thread

Delia - MPC #2, named after the famed BBC Radiophonic Workshop pioneer who created the first version of the original arrangement of the Doctor Who theme.

Vera - The Dell you sent me for my birthday.

I can recall most of my cats I've had in the last eight years here as well...:cat:
Got it!

Sorry to hear about Valeries issues. You have certainly had your share of computer woes.

Since Valerie had been acting up for a little while I am thinking the power supply, or even the motherboard is giving you trouble. If the regulation in the power supply bites the dust it could conceivably take out the motherboard too. The reverse could also happen, if the motherboard was drawing more and more current from the power supply one or both could let out some magic smoke.

And yes the memory could be effected by an over/under volted power supply.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
It's DELIA that's souped up but she has a 580W PS and I left Valerie mostly stock except for the sound card and the added IDE HD for Win 7. Linux is on the other drive and I have to change in bootup to use either.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You could canabalize the amd dual core and put it's psu in Valerie to she if she has any life left. If that doesn't work, then she gave you all she could for a few months.

orange

Tagline
Delia will go in eventually. Right now I am concentrating on installing programs on Vera and more cleaning, hooking up stuff (the 5050 is now in the bedroom stack and loving it)...and I need to get the kitchen floor cleaned on the other side and get my table etc back where they belong.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Maybe you can merge Valerie and Delia together and have a few spare parts leftover.

Do any of the defunct computers have names? The old Dell 2350, the Evo etc.:rabbit:

orange

Tagline
The MPC ClientPro 365 only has ONE IDE channel, or drive 0 and 1, then four SATAs, so if an ATA card on a PCI slot doesn't work that means swapping out the ATAPI (optical) drive to transfer data that wasn't backed up to the external IDE drive (it hasn't been connected in a few daze) and then hoping MS doesn't ask for another authentication...

OR hoping the 2350 will do it.

WHEE!

orange

Tagline
I think it could be worse than that...I think I might have an 'AEHI"? BIOS that got filled by code ('brick' virus)? I have to open it up and see if I can reset or recover.

Or it could be something simpler...I'm going to see if the video card may have gone or if it runs from the SATA drive in Linux.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
By the way...Vera is supposed to support a floppy drive. I will have to look and see if I can install one.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Keep us up to date on your findings. Always good to here about new issues and resolutions to them. My money is on a hardware issue of some sort.

orange

Tagline
I just pulled the CMOS battery, reset the video card and god only knows what happened as it just booted into Linux and then Windows after I set the drive order and boot order again.

Cheeky, just cheeky. Up all night again for that.

Now my biggest problem is once again fixing the TV reception, as the new line amp isn't cutting it and I only have Idaho Public Television no matter how I turn the antenna. I still need to get my Channel Master dual line amp with -22 dB gain repaired. It's not worth the cost of paying Telco Electronics a million bucks to fix it but I'd like more than the ACL with Randy Newman I got this morning...although I can't complain about that.

Last edited: