Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ok, got the crossovers fixed, but there was a casualty, the tweet..in the left cab is toast........wanted to get some CT 125's anyway...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok, the 4 --10 ohm seriesed/paralled resistors for the mids/tweets have to go. Is there a resistor that "sounds" better than another one??

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Ok, the 4 --10 ohm seriesed/paralled resistors for the mids/tweets have to go. Is there a resistor that "sounds" better than another one??
I'm no expert but from what I've read if it's in the audio path than metal film or metal foil. What wattage resistor will this circuit require? That could limit your choices.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It's taken quite a bit f work to toast a 10 watter so I'm thinkin a 20 would last quite awhile....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep, I think Joe had mentioned at one time perhaps I should increase the value of said resstor too. I have put a 4.7 uf cap in front of the resistor, as per Joe's recommendation, to filter out a lot of the low frequency energy seen by this part of the crossover and it's helped, I mean at least we are not melting solder anymore...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
We also changed the Inductor on Tims Soni's from 1.3 uh to 2.7uh and they are sounding pretty good.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, how does a roll of wire (inductors) limit frequencies??
PFM Lee...

Seriously, good question.

An inductor stores energy in the magnetic field it produces. It gives that energy back when the magnetic field collapses. An inductor resists and instantaneous change in current through it similar to a capacitor resists an instantaneous change in voltage on it. When a change in current through an inductor occurs, the associated increased generation of the magnetic field produces a back EMF effect that opposes the voltage impressed on the inductor and therefore resists the increase in current in the inductor windings.

The fact that higher frequencies driven into any resistive load have a higher di/dt tells you that the change in current is closer to instantaneous at high frequencies than at low frequencies. This higher di/dt associated with higher frequencies is why an inductor blocks high frequencies and passes lower frequencies.

I hope my explanation gets you closer to understanding how an inductor (that roll of wire) works.