Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I just hooked up the 700 he's getting his shit blown away roght now......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
He's listening to Patricia Barber right now. He's ...............mesmerized.......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The crossover has survived an onslought of the most extreme order. Originally designed for 1-1/2 amps , a 5 amp fuse now resides within.....I went beyond the stopping point I usually stop at on the Spec 1 by 2 notches, in part because Chip was here, the other part because I HADN'T gone there before. Guys I really do not know how far this system can be pushed..It's dangerous the way it is and I like it that way....knowing how extreme it can get is somehow very satisfying.....and I still don't know where I HAVE TO STOP................

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Was ordering some stuff from Bob Crites today and we got to talkin about caps. Come to find out he sells Sonicaps, one of Al K's substitutes. So I had him send another 8 of those. Sonicaps are made in the USA also. If you ever need something from Crites don't hesitate, great family business and Bob is a heck of a nice guy....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
OK, a quetion for Joe, or Gibsonian, or someone who know speaks better than I do, ......can the caps in the crossover make noise sometimes, and then sometimes not?? The scrath siims to come and go, not as bad as when the Pig was in line, I eally do believe I wounded the Pig. Even with the FC WOPL in line and new mid drivers and diaphrams the scratch is there, ....sometimes.....I have ot messed with the stosses but that's next on the list, the caps for the mids I have plenty of, just curous about the sometimes nature of this "scratch".

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
OK, a quetion for Joe, or Gibsonian, or someone who know speaks better than I do, ......can the caps in the crossover make noise sometimes, and then sometimes not?? The scrath siims to come and go, not as bad as when the Pig was in line, I eally do believe I wounded the Pig. Even with the FC WOPL in line and new mid drivers and diaphrams the scratch is there, ....sometimes.....I have ot messed with the stosses but that's next on the list, the caps for the mids I have plenty of, just curous about the sometimes nature of this "scratch".
Unlikely Lee...not surprised you wounded the pig given what you did to it at Timdalfs

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Fixed it after that, then got real radical here a few nights ago. When I get a chance I'll run a THD & N sweep and see what's up. But I know the 700 isn't hurt and I've checked all the cables and whatnot. Ok can a cap be sensitive to the power going through, as the volume comes up the scratch starts to subside, but still sounds lkike something is missing...

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
I had a similar problem with an Altec 288 midrange driver, it turned out to be a piece of shit in the voice coil gap.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
We;;, found some weak spots in the crosses. Going to need a big non-inductive power resisror, and don't know what to do about the cap....
The resis tors got so hot, it melted the solder off the connection...

Attachments

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker