Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Alk Eng no longer offers the "Universal" crossover in kit or finished form. Al does not mind folks building them on their own. Some caps I could not get so we'll see how these work out. Alethia Audio is now the licensed seller for the universal model but offers no kit option. For the 700.00 price tag per pair this is worth pursuing. These will be assembled per Al's original construction notes. Boards courtesy of Jani/.....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
One of the weak spots (not really, but with me they are) are the 10 watt 10 ohm "swamping resistor". I have opened a couple of these up like a blooming flower.. So we're gonna try 4-10 ohm, 5 watt in a series -parallel configuration...

Attachments

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
One of the weak spots (not really, but with me they are) are the 10 watt 10 ohm "swamping resistor". I have opened a couple of these up like a blooming flower.. So we're gonna try 4-10 ohm, 5 watt in a series -parallel configuration...
That should keep them from blooming.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Considering Al's reputation I don't know if you could imprive the design, perhaps the components...This is the first of 2 pairs i need to build for the K's we got in Wa state that dingus flushed out last year. This set and a set of tweets and Chris' set will be up and running, then we start work on Kevins set..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Wow, this is embarrassing. While R & R ing the crossover I found I had the wires from the amp reversed from the right channel!!!! Talk about soundstage and bass!!!!1 JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
SAME BASS AT HALF THE THROTTLE! OH JEEZ... got some music to listen to now my god, what an idiot!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
SAME BASS AT HALF THE THROTTLE! OH JEEZ... got some music to listen to now my god, what an idiot!!
You mean we can put C6 back to its original value?? :)

You should see the stuff I am finding in the PL4000 in terms of choking the lower frequency response.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mach4 on the 400 and I'm at 121DB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this!!! I guess if the left/right woofs arent cancelling each other out things will be a little louder!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You mean we can put C6 back to its original value?? :)

You should see the stuff I am finding in the PL4000 in terms of choking the lower frequency response.

C6 is just fine Joe...

OK why did they not concern themselves with the extreme of the FR??? Shitty sources?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
C6 is just fine Joe...

OK why did they not concern themselves with the extreme of the FR??? Shitty sources?
Probably turntable rumble that produced subsonic woofer movement...but to me that is what they have low frequency rolloff filters for.