hafler p230s

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i was trying to remember which member had topping. ....thanks for stepping up!!!
im gonna give them a try...!!!!!
do you use the dac as a preamp also or do you have a seperate preamp...the smsl has preamp mode in which the volume functions...in dac mod volume is fixed and one would use volume on preamp ..the e70 does also...curious to know...how does yours work...

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
do you use the dac as a preamp also or do you have a seperate preamp...the smsl has preamp mode in which the volume functions...in dac mod volume is fixed and one would use volume on preamp ..the e70 does also...curious to know...how does yours work...
I feed the output of the D50s into one of the AUX inputs of the Carver C1 ... and then that goes to the dbx PA2 crossover, to the amps, much like your multi-amp configuration.

George S.

I have 4 different types of stereo DACs and they all plug into the Aux inputs of my PL preamps.
1. Sound chip on computer motherboard.
2. Asus soundcard that plugs into the motherboard.
3. Asus USB sound card that plugs in with USB cable.
4.Schiit Modi 3 that plugs in with USB cable.
All of these have analog outputs to the preamp.
The only DAC I know of that's built with a combo preamp is made by MiniDsp. Really didn't pay attention to it as a PL preamp is a priority with me.
They build some high-end streaming boxes that I assume offer preamp functions. Balanced and digital inputs and outputs and all that.
I'm strictly RCA and streaming with a huge dual CPU Lenovo work station configured as a PC.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
topping makes a companion L70...
if the e70 has a preamp mode...why the L 70...it is primarily listed as headphone amp...then preamp ..it aint cheap...
I guess some folks really like their headphones? Maybe if your living space is tight or neighbors don’t appreciate hearing what you like...at loud volumes?

I have a few sets of 'phones here but I never use them. My listening space is separate from the house, so the WOPLs cranked at high volume are not offensive to anybody ;)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm down to 1 dac, retired the "Dac-in-the-Box" when mi bought the Bluesound Node. It will connect up on the wi-fi, bluetooth off the phone, toslink and RCA, I use the toslink from the computer... good stuff that Node thing....

George S.

I don't know. I do know, playing digital off the computer, either files or streams, works excellent with the on board sound chip(Azalea Audio) on my S30 or D30 Lenovo's, or the Modi DAC. The Modi 3 has a deeper black background on quiet passages.
The Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI Express Audio Card (marketed as a audiophile card) has a very different sound, more akin to a analog source, very pleasing, and very interesting software with Dolby.
The Asus U7 Mk ii USB sound card is very sterile sounding. And while it measures great for Room Equalizer Wizard use, it's primarily a gaming sound card, as the software demonstrates.
Personally, I wouldn't spend much $ on a DAC. The Modi 3 is as high as I'm willing to go.
And the Lenovo desktop (Home Theater PC if we want to get fancy) handles all streaming effortlessly and cheaply. I have a Lenovo D30 in the main system and a S30 upstairs in the "electronics room".

George S.

The Blue Sound Node appears to stream from sources like the MiniDsp streamers do.
High definition streaming may well be worthwhile. Going to check on some free sources this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
I just hate to subscribe to more services. Have enough subscriptions now that rarely get used.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The Blue Sound Node appears to stream from sources like the MiniDsp streamers do.
High definition streaming may well be worthwhile. Going to check on some free sources this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
I just hate to subscribe to more services. Have enough subscriptions now that rarely get used.

Amazon HD is EXCELLENT. And cheap.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Do they require you to be a Prime subscriber as well, or is this a separate service? I seem to recall Prime customers have access to some online music and possibly movies as well.

Like Gene, I subscribe to Apple Music, and access it (as well as my ripped library on a NAS server) through iTunes on a Windoze laptop. The D50s is attached o the USB port on the laptop. The D50s can connect to music sources via TOSlink, coaxial/digital (RCA connector), and Bluetooth. I can stream music from the ipad or iphone into the D50s bluetooth receiver, but the laptop to D50s is the primary way that I stream.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Do they require you to be a Prime subscriber as well, or is this a separate service? I seem to recall Prime customers have access to some online music and possibly movies as well.

Like Gene, I subscribe to Apple Music, and access it (as well as my ripped library on a NAS server) through iTunes on a Windoze laptop. The D50s is attached o the USB port on the laptop. The D50s can connect to music sources via TOSlink, coaxial/digital (RCA connector), and Bluetooth. I can stream music from the ipad or iphone into the D50s bluetooth receiver, but the laptop to D50s is the primary way that I stream.
i mostly use chromecast from android...
i also have the apple music app on both tvs...
i bought a 75 dollar dac that exceeds the specs of apple music for a cabled hookup the the preamp (thru ab switch) to play hires lossless ...it really sounds nice...i think i can tell a difference...havent done a lot of experimenting ..when a set of younger ears comes to stay a few days...will experiment more...apple music does tell you when you are outputting lossless...i have an dh160 eq coming for the bedroom...and i want a topping e70 L70 combo for the den...maria and i enjoy our music...

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Another vote for the Bluesound Node N130.

Currently streaming from the Node into an Aragon 24k sp with respectable results as compared to CD's. Toying with the idea of upgrading to a Benchmark DAC3 B, but currently have other priorities at $1800 price point.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Way to make a guy feel like a neanderthal... :D:D

I'm still hardwired both analog directions (A>D, D>A) from my Tascam UH-7000 and have to use a USB cable between the computer and the Tascam.

I guess I'm still pretending I can hear very high frequencies as I keep wishing each new bluetooth iteration would have 24/192 or better streaming capabilities. Alas and alack, poor Yorick, it does not yet appear to be so.