Gibsonian's Cherry Pl 700 Ser I, soon to be a PLWO-1000

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Much improved. That technique we used to find this is how you debug backwards in the closed loop until you find the culprit. Q5 was still working but was wounded and was leaking from collector to emitter which caused the rise and fall slew rates to be different. Q4 was trying hard to compensate but could not do it when there was a damaged component in the loop.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Finally got a clean sine wave-LOADED to 480 watts into 8. Still have to track down the high bias issue, but things are looking up. she gets the listen test soon....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Still have a hi frequency problem above 5K. Pointy top of the sine wave.. Time to strip the 21196's out and go back by pairs. can't find ANYTHING on the board now that's bad. Voltages from channel A to channel B all track within 1-2%. Gotta be the output stage..

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Still have a hi frequency problem above 5K. Pointy top of the sine wave.. Time to strip the 21196's out and go back by pairs. can't find ANYTHING on the board now that's bad. Voltages from channel A to channel B all track within 1-2%. Gotta be the output stage..
Hi Lee. Ok, I'll admit this is probably nuts but it just popped into my head. Is there a way to swap left for right across the WO terminals so that the left side outputs are being driven by the right side of the board and vice versa? That way you'd know in a snap if it's on the board or on the chassis.

Prolly not.. unless the wires had some length to them? (hmm.. idea for a custom "jig" here... )

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I got two things to try first Jer, the aforementioned stripping, and the addition of 2 .33uf 250 volt caps on the output raoils to ground.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
First of all, thank you Scott for being so patient. This is embarrissing, but here goes. ......................................
C10R and C18R were in the wrong places. C10 was where C18 should have gone and vise versa.

All is well, cept what little pride I had left. Scott I'm gonna shake her down real good this weekend, and she'll be on her way come Monday.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
First of all, thank you Scott for being so patient. This is embarrissing, but here goes. ......................................
C10R and C18R were in the wrong places. C10 was where C18 should have gone and vise versa.

All is well, cept what little pride I had left. Scott I'm gonna shake her down real good this weekend, and she'll be on her way come Monday.
Lee - you're honest and that is one of the things we love about you! Opps happen. No other damage? It's always good to find a fc#k up and correct it.

Listening to Shpongle "Unrealesed Remix". Kinda cool - but different.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
That's great news Lee. Easy enough too do, that's for sure. Just glad this monkey is off our backs! Thanks for sticking with it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Glad you finally nailed the problem Lee, that will definitely affect the slew rate and stability as you found