Gibsonian's Cherry Pl 700 Ser I, soon to be a PLWO-1000

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Been pretty loud here overall, and better. I put new voice coils on my tweeters, and put the 700 back in on the midbass driver. All went out the same day! Best the system has ever sounded imo, bass is very, very tight. Much appreciated for all your hard work Lee, seems it was all worth it. I hope to get to the meters this week. Small item but needs addressed eventually.

No fed ex drop off within 40 miles! I am gonna take to work and see if they will schedule a p/u for me. It's kinda UPS country here it seems, and Keokuk is a small town.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I know it was quite different than when it showed, just wondering if you noticed it, course I'm prejudiced.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Cath

Ole Cathy's been up to her ole tricks, but I think I found the source of this bad behavior. This after several months of good behavior. Whatta ya think?

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I just put in a 20 hour day and I'm brain dead. Ands other than I'm ashamed to let wiring like that outta the house, ya got me Scott.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
No worries Lee. Just wanted your opinion on this, would this be the possible source of her maladies? I just lucked into seeing it. Do you think I oughta put a new transistor here where the resistor wire was touching it? I still haven't put her back together yet, but did move the wire away from the transistor socket.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Centewr of the pic, where the collector bus wire is touching the base on the driver?? Test the driver for a short then run it..

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Centewr of the pic, where the collector bus wire is touching the base on the driver?? Test the driver for a short then run it..
It's actually the resistor wire that is touching the driver socket. I will pull it and test, then reassemble and run. Thanks!

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Ended up making an executive decision to simply put her together after creating some clearance between resistor and TO3 socket. Checked bias and both channels still rock solid at .4, so bumped them up a smidge to .440 and is playing beautifully at the moment. There is a world of difference between the old 700 I have which is stock except for new PS caps and 15024 outputs, and the C design PLWO. Goes from ok to very interesting. Just stuck in a different Ashly active cross replacing the old Behringer and this is also a very good change. I think I'm gonna sell the old 700, I've got another in the kitty plus a 400 that need WO'd and I can use the bucks. Plus I think Cathy is here for the duration. Thanks again Lee for the great work, she is a masterpiece inside, and outputting to speakers.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Ended up making an executive decision to simply put her together after creating some clearance between resistor and TO3 socket. Checked bias and both channels still rock solid at .4, so bumped them up a smidge to .440 and is playing beautifully at the moment. There is a world of difference between the old 700 I have which is stock except for new PS caps and 15024 outputs, and the C design PLWO. Goes from ok to very interesting. Just stuck in a different Ashly active cross replacing the old Behringer and this is also a very good change. I think I'm gonna sell the old 700, I've got another in the kitty plus a 400 that need WO'd and I can use the bucks. Plus I think Cathy is here for the duration. Thanks again Lee for the great work, she is a masterpiece inside, and outputting to speakers.
I have a PLWO 700 and 5 PLWO 400's. I run tube amps for the mid and high with an Ashly crossover and rotate the PLWO's to drive the bottom end. I have used 60 watt tube amps for the bottoms but they are not even close to the PLWO's when it comes to performance. The PLWO's bass is so much more accurate and tight compare to the tubes.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Mine is the Ashly XR2001, and it is giving me more detail and better bass response than the Behringer did. I'm using a Crown CTS3000 for subs, and the PLWO1000 for mids. I have a Denon amp on highs but will be going to tubes very very soon.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The wiring on the bottom of the board bothers me. I think it was one of those--(get it working) and dress it up later, I just didn't.

Glad she's working again Scott. I also had a chance to do a totally stock (and super cherry) 700 Ser I ans a WOPL'd Ser I, not even close, bass was mushy, the mids clouded. Course it had a PL 0171 board....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

IIRC, that extra was cherry and you managed to get it during one of those freak times on e-bay when nobody wanted one...

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
IIRC, that extra was cherry and you managed to get it during one of those freak times on e-bay when nobody wanted one...
Yep, when I get some dough I'd like to make that extra 700 into a D level PLWO, but might have you do the 400 first. The other working 700 I have I bought years ago from Ed/Dean, so by mentioning those guys in the ad I hope folks will throw out more dough to get it. It's definitely more reliable than most 700's out there that haven't gone through your place.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
With that much bias if it runs hot go to a 15 ohm 1 watt 1% MO for R38,R39
I'll keep an eye on her but I doubt she will need it, I haven't even had to use the nice new fancy fan assy I built since putting her on fairly efficient (94 or 95 dB at 1 watt) 8 ohm mid/bass drivers.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
The wiring on the bottom of the board bothers me. I think it was one of those--(get it working) and dress it up later, I just didn't.

Glad she's working again Scott. I also had a chance to do a totally stock (and super cherry) 700 Ser I ans a WOPL'd Ser I, not even close, bass was mushy, the mids clouded. Course it had a PL 0171 board....
Hey, don't sweat it. The rest of her is perfect and she's good to go for another 30 years I'm guessing. You handled 150 big and small details and missed one teensy one. I couldn't have done the 150, that is for sure!