Carver C1 going through rework

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
With the way i see it Perry; frankly you haven't answered Mohawk's original question at all lol. In other words you have basically said, just mask the issue. As such, i don't really understand why you are calling him a "hard head?" If you think about it, perhaps the reverse? :rolleyes: I have been keeping tabs on this thread and the way i understand it is as follows...

1 - The BillD mod was completed on a stock and fully functional Carver C1; as such is my own. (thats why i am also trying to understand here...)
2 - A difference was noticed in its function after the mod was completed
3 - The functional difference was checked with the "service manual," and was noticed to coincide with an issue listed under section 4.6 of "General troubleshooting"
4 - As he said, the test of the FET drive circuitry was confirmed functional with the process laid out in sec. 4.6 (screenshot posted prev.)

If the test passes and the FET's are confirmed to be operationally stable, then why is this issue still happening? Do you not think what is happening to Mohawk's unit seems to be contradictory to the service manual provided by Carver?

Give me your expert opinion
Best,

Here's one for ya.... Start another thread and set it up with a "Poll" and ask every member to turn on everything in the system saving the Amp for last with the volume set at "You decide" and see if they pop. I'd like to see the results.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
it is a pl400 it has no power switch if it is pluged in to the preamp switched outlet the power amp will turn on at the same time as the preamp that is bad. as of why it did not pop before you worked on modified the preamp I do not know

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Good morning , :)

Thank you "The ManSteele" for jumping in ....

Perry,

Your last post is now chock full of ideas to chase down , thank you for that.....
I will get it back to the bench and go through as many of your ideas as I can ..

M

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I also saw that they told him to use the correct Power Up Sequence when he asked the same questions at the Carver site

Posted yesterday at 11:22 AM
As a general rule of thumb, (especially with pro gear for live sound reinforcement) it is always best to turn on the source and preamp before the amplifier (waiting for the click before turning on the amp). To turn off, you do it in reverse order (amp off first, followed by pre and sources). My power conditioner does this automatically.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I would also imagine, that the FET's were pulled from the board and tested on a transistor checker. And it is possible that the FET's could have suffered heat damage from removal/replacement, the unit lied and said they were good and they are not, or?????

FET's can be really ESD sensitive too

TheManSteele

New Around These Parts
BillD is dead so we don't know
little disrespectful much? :confused:
I appreciate you finally giving some counter questions to the issues Mohawk was having rather than continuing your rant.
You provided some insightful questions to be looked into.
Something to think about; appreciate it.

Also, I have attached the BillD mod pdf to this post for you all to have access to

Best,

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
little disrespectful much? :confused:
I appreciate you finally giving some counter questions to the issues Mohawk was having rather than continuing your rant.
You provided some insightful questions to be looked into.
Something to think about; appreciate it.

Also, I have attached the BillD mod pdf to this post for you all to have access to

Best,
Should I have said He's no longer with us? He's departed this world? Another pussy that must find the politically correct way for everything. Sorry but I may not be as educated as a man of your stature... Puss

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
On a side note, Most will not plug a WOPL into the outlet of another piece of gear. They tend to like their own outlet. But you MAY be able to get away with it with a 400, but not a 700 (WOPL's).