Carver C1 going through rework

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Hey Perry,

I get it, I just thought you would have some insight on how to trouble shoot the issue given your expertise ... Something is amiss after the mods.....
and like "TheManSteele" posted, I would like to understand what could be the issue and how to resolve it !

Thanks ....

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
anybody here turn their amp on first? I always send a handout with my amps and preamps telling the order of power up/down. The pre amp is always putting a signal out of some amplitude and the amp is doing what it's supposed to.... Amplifying anything and everything....
Yes I do but have an Acurus pre that I do that with. It mutes at power up for long enough to settle before connecting downstream. I would not attempt that with something like a PL4000 however, there I would power the pre and then the amp. So it is a 'that depends' situation

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Hey Perry,

I get it, I just thought you would have some insight on how to trouble shoot the issue given your expertise ... Something is amiss after the mods.....
and like "TheManSteele" posted, I would like to understand what could be the issue and how to resolve it !

Thanks ....

so, 2 pre's doing the same thing after a Bill D upgrade that has been performed by hundreds of people before???? My direction of using the correct power up sequence sounds like the key..... Go ask the guys on Carver site.... I'm sure they will tell you to power up the pre first like most people do. Just saying. I don't power up my pre first to see if it will peg the meters, I leave that blunder to others.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
so, 2 pre's doing the same thing after a Bill D upgrade that has been performed by hundreds of people before???? My direction of using the correct power up sequence sounds like the key..... Go ask the guys on Carver site.... I'm sure they will tell you to power up the pre first like most people do. Just saying. I don't power up my pre first to see if it will peg the meters, I leave that blunder to others.
What is the BillD upgrade?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
What is the BillD upgrade?

They replace all the resistors with new 1% (waste of time), install some Brown Dog adapted OPA134's (no difference detected either) and some other stuff. Recap it etc... I take it a step further with a Power Supply Module, A Holography filter which fixes some problems), add an adjustable gain and the kit for putting in gold plated RCA's

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Perry ,

I agree with you on the proper power up sequence ! Seriously I do !

I was just stating that the C1 passes the service manual tests but still thumps.....
Just trying to understand the circuit design and try to figure out why it does it now ?
It didn't "thump" before .....

I'm not sure what you are referring to in you first line

"so, 2 pre's doing the same thing after a Bill D upgrade that has been performed by hundreds of people before???? "

What 2 Pre's are doing the same thing ?

M

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry ,

I agree with you on the proper power up sequence ! Seriously I do !

I was just stating that the C1 passes the service manual tests but still thumps.....
Just trying to understand the circuit design and try to figure out why it does it now ?
It didn't "thump" before .....

I'm not sure what you are referring to in you first line

"so, 2 pre's doing the same thing after a Bill D upgrade that has been performed by hundreds of people before???? "

What 2 Pre's are doing the same thing ?

M

I thought Steel did his also and it did the same thing. Seems he's more worried that his will thump too. Sequence ban... Quit being hard-headed since you don't have an issue with anything else when you tested it after the upgrade except the out of sequence power up thump?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Not pissed , I just think your a Jerk ...... ;)

Well, I told you the same thing yesterday. You asked for my "Expertise" and I gave it to you. You can do with it as you like. The first 6 times, I told you nicely, not the second 6.... I'm a jerk, and you are a hard head............. No winner either way

TheManSteele

New Around These Parts
Well, I told you the same thing yesterday. You asked for my "Expertise" and I gave it to you. You can do with it as you like. The first 6 times, I told you nicely, not the second 6.... I'm a jerk, and you are a hard head............. No winner either way
With the way i see it Perry; frankly you haven't answered Mohawk's original question at all lol. In other words you have basically said, just mask the issue. As such, i don't really understand why you are calling him a "hard head?" If you think about it, perhaps the reverse? :rolleyes: I have been keeping tabs on this thread and the way i understand it is as follows...

1 - The BillD mod was completed on a stock and fully functional Carver C1; as such is my own. (thats why i am also trying to understand here...)
2 - A difference was noticed in its function after the mod was completed
3 - The functional difference was checked with the "service manual," and was noticed to coincide with an issue listed under section 4.6 of "General troubleshooting"
4 - As he said, the test of the FET drive circuitry was confirmed functional with the process laid out in sec. 4.6 (screenshot posted prev.)

If the test passes and the FET's are confirmed to be operationally stable, then why is this issue still happening? Do you not think what is happening to Mohawk's unit seems to be contradictory to the service manual provided by Carver?

Give me your expert opinion
Best,

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I didn't do the work so I have no idea as to what the workmanship looks like. I don't know how he checked the FET's (Changing them would have worked if they were suspect). Did the outputs attenuate by at least 20dB? What test equipment is he using? I change out all the opamps with NEW 4136's, maybe he has a noisy one since he didn't change any??? Did it happen at all Function Switch settings? What does the noise (pop, thump, whatever) look like on the scope, is the noise specific to +12Vdc??, or -12Vdc? I reflow most every connection on the board, does he have a bad/cold ground SOMEWHERE? That noise, or Thump, or POP during power up can come from any one component in the preamp including the Power Switch. Does it do it when listening through the headphones? It can be a 1000 different things and you need to get out the scope and get "Down and Dirty"... Change all the 40 year old op amps (New TI issue from DigiKey) and skip the Brown Dog OPA2134's and you changed 150 perfectly good resistors risking solder issues/damage/heat etc....