Carver C1 going through rework

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I put seals on them so if you open it up, there goes your warranty
That's ok too, I have many pics of them as you posted here so maybe that 'll help me some. Of course everybody on the site are very helpful, including you. The next storm heading your way is much colder than the previous one, we got quite a bit of rain with it.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
That's ok too, I have many pics of them as you posted here so maybe that 'll help me some. Of course everybody on the site are very helpful, including you. The next storm heading your way is much colder than the previous one, we got quite a bit of rain with it.

yup,, more rain..... Actually I quit putting seals on them a while back. I can tell if my work has been messed with. I don't mind if somebody wants to QA me.... Keeps me on my toes I think somebody either built, or was going to build, a WOPL with a acrylic top..... I wouldn't do that to my personal 700B since the light board puts out some serious light and would interrupt our circadian rhythm. Maybe some accent lighting in the Series II ????

wsb

New Around These Parts
I'm taking my C1 into the shop this morning for a rework. She'll get cleaned, power supply rebuilt (with my Power Supply Kit), some new Op amps, switches cleaned and lubed, the NEW RCA kit with custom mounting plate, and a recap. I have had it in my system for a while and since I had put the new face plate on it, I decided to finish it. I think I'll put the Gundry Notch Filter on it and also put the Bonzoro EZ Gain board in it for quick gain changes of the Pre amp. I'll post some Pics later. The C-1's respond well to these upgrades and many on the other site change all the resistors to metal film (from Carbon Comps) but I have tested THAT "upgrade" and it is useless.

Perry
Hi Perry. I have a C1. How do you rebuild the power supply? What brand -caps do you use for replacements and why?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I bet you got some quality time with the new grandchild.

Yep... He pulled a hand full of my beard out but it'll grow back. :) Went to mom's grave site for mothers day too...... Cold and rainy... Go figure.

Heading off to sleep, leaving at the crack of 3am. Gotta turn around and make the trip again at the end of June (unless I want to eat frozen TV dinners all summer). The wife is staying here to help the daughter.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry, can you recommend a preassembled power supply for my C1 that I can just bolt in that will yield the required 12 v?
Thanks, Warren

Sorry Warren that it took me so long to get back to you. I have been on the road. PM me and I'll give you some info.

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Hey Perry,

I just came across your thread on the C1 , Fantastic work ! I am hoping you can help me in the right direction with a C1 we are tinkering with.
We had a functional and un modded C1 , we decided to do the basic Bill D mod.
The mods, as per the PDF are done with the exception of leaving all the original op amps in place ... We were gonna' see how it sounded before swapping the 4136 op amps. The C1 is currently paired with a WOPL 400 and sounds fantastic...
The issue is there is a "turn on thump, click".... As you power up the C1 , it will "bounce" the meters reasonably hard on the 400, and a few seconds after the protect relay closes a "click" is heard from both speakers. ( this didn't happen before the mods ) ... arg...
The Carver manual references this issue...
V applied.JPG Turn on .JPG
We have +13.v on pin 11, -13v on pin 7 of the OP amps and followed the test in "4.6".... Pin 10 of IC8 is + on power up and switches - in 8 ish seconds

Both fets test ok...

Volume setting, input selection, balance has no effect on the bouncy bouncy ....

If you were to turn the C1 on first and wait 10 seconds or so before lighting up the 400 you would never notice any issues at all....

Anything off the top of your head ?

Cheers !

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, the amp should be the last thing to turn on. Amp is switched on last and turned OFF first. You are going to get transient spikes from the pre so it has to be on before the amp.

I always turn the amp ON LAST
OFF first

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Perry,

I just came across your thread on the C1 , Fantastic work ! I am hoping you can help me in the right direction with a C1 we are tinkering with.
We had a functional and un modded C1 , we decided to do the basic Bill D mod.
The mods, as per the PDF are done with the exception of leaving all the original op amps in place ... We were gonna' see how it sounded before swapping the 4136 op amps. The C1 is currently paired with a WOPL 400 and sounds fantastic...
The issue is there is a "turn on thump, click".... As you power up the C1 , it will "bounce" the meters reasonably hard on the 400, and a few seconds after the protect relay closes a "click" is heard from both speakers. ( this didn't happen before the mods ) ... arg...
The Carver manual references this issue...
View attachment 43197 View attachment 43196
We have +13.v on pin 11, -13v on pin 7 of the OP amps and followed the test in "4.6".... Pin 10 of IC8 is + on power up and switches - in 8 ish seconds

Both fets test ok...

Volume setting, input selection, balance has no effect on the bouncy bouncy ....

If you were to turn the C1 on first and wait 10 seconds or so before lighting up the 400 you would never notice any issues at all....

Anything off the top of your head ?

Cheers !

It's NOT an issue if powered up and down in correct order.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
anybody here turn their amp on first? I always send a handout with my amps and preamps telling the order of power up/down. The pre amp is always putting a signal out of some amplitude and the amp is doing what it's supposed to.... Amplifying anything and everything....

TheManSteele

New Around These Parts

It's NOT an issue if powered up and down in correct order.
Hey Perry, im new to the forum and looking to complete a BillD mod myself. I happen to have a similar setup to what was mentioned above.

With what Mohawk said; why might the carver start to have these two issues after the mod?
- "turn on thump, click"
- the bouncing of the meters at the start

I agree with what you're saying about the power up sequence. However, doesn't the fact that it behaves differently now mean there is something wrong with it? I cant see that this would happen with a factory unit.

Id like to try and understand if you can help

Thanks!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Maybe it didn't do it before the mod, maybe it did. I don't power my equipment on and off in the wrong sequence just to see what will happen. Use the correct sequence and if you have issues with performance/noise etc..... Then hunt for issues.

I don't know what's so hard to understand that the amp is going to amplify anything the pre is putting out including noise from power up.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Perry, im new to the forum and looking to complete a BillD mod myself. I happen to have a similar setup to what was mentioned above.

With what Mohawk said; why might the carver start to have these two issues after the mod?
- "turn on thump, click"
- the bouncing of the meters at the start

I agree with what you're saying about the power up sequence. However, doesn't the fact that it behaves differently now mean there is something wrong with it? I cant see that this would happen with a factory unit.

Id like to try and understand if you can help

Thanks!

The bill D Mod has some unneeded stuff. Changing all the resistors??? Waste of time and even Bill D couldn't tell the difference (Along with the Brown Dog Crap.