Carver C1 going through rework

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Simple, no noise issues to investigate. which is what I said in the first place. I felt no need to look for issues which didn't manifest itself in the tests I did, and my listening sessions.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Since the wife is up north, This is what I spent the last 4 or 5 days working on. I have a customer who want's another WOPL (which I had already built a couple months back) and he wanted a preamp to go with it so here are his choices..... A C-1 and a 4000t..... whichever Pre he decides on, I get the other for my home system (yes, my amp and pre got bought out from under me again).

View attachment 38435 Pre1 (2672 x 2004).jpg

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Joe, don't tell anybody I broke an obsolete transistor by Ham-Fisting it.... Waiting for a set so I can listen to the Phono...... Pre2 (2672 x 2004).jpg

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Advice well taken, and as a crow is attracted to shiny things, so am I toward “bells and whistles.”
But... isn’t the 4000t of similar architecture to the PL4000? Filled with daughtercards and edge connectors?
Better to avoid the headache than to stock up on aspirin!
The Pl4000 ll has nothing in common with the Carver c-4000 or 4000t.

As to the t4000 better than the c-4000 I may not entirely agree. Later c-4000 circuitry ( after major changes) is almost the same as the 4000t with minor changes only in the phono section and this upgraded phono section is almost identical to to the c-1,c-11. Look for serial numbers above 7000.

As to the power supply it can be reworked with all of Perry’s power supply goodies and get an excellent power supply or rework the stock following his layout as I have done to get the same results.

I have done a late c-4000 in which I upgraded the phono so I can use two similar turntables. I did the brown dog upgrade using opa2134’s to both phono inputs as well as the main gain opamps. I added decoupling caps to the opamp rails of the brown dog. All other opamps remain stock. Perry is correct that You may not hear any difference deterrent the opamps. The upgraded opamps will give you a higher sales price if you do sell it later on do to people’s perceptions and not knowing what the hell is correct.

I agree that Wholesale changing resistors is pointless.

Perry has done a Hugh job getting both the c-1/11 and c4000/4000t upgrades sorted.

I am telling you listen to what Perry says about these Carvers.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The Pl4000 ll has nothing in common with the Carver c-4000 or 4000t.

As to the t4000 better than the c-4000 I may not entirely agree. Later c-4000 circuitry ( after major changes) is almost the same as the 4000t with minor changes only in the phono section and this upgraded phono section is almost identical to to the c-1,c-11. Look for serial numbers above 7000.

As to the power supply it can be reworked with all of Perry’s power supply goodies and get an excellent power supply or rework the stock following his layout as I have done to get the same results.

I have done a late c-4000 in which I upgraded the phono so I can use two similar turntables. I did the brown dog upgrade using opa2134’s to both phono inputs as well as the main gain opamps. I added decoupling caps to the opamp rails of the brown dog. All other opamps remain stock. Perry is correct that You may not hear any difference deterrent the opamps. The upgraded opamps will give you a higher sales price if you do sell it later on do to people’s perceptions and not knowing what the hell is correct.

I agree that Wholesale changing resistors is pointless.

Perry has done a Hugh job getting both the c-1/11 and c4000/4000t upgrades sorted.

I am telling you listen to what he says about these Carvers.

The C-4000 has a rear amp in it which is full of obsolete shit... I'd delete much of it but you can't upgrade the power supply since it is integrated into the rear amp circuitry. Skip the C-4000 which also has many Service bulletins. With work, they are quiet.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have Brown Dog adaptors and the OPA2134's if anybody needs any. They were NOT cheap though. I can solder them under the scope, or you can weld it yourself...

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Since the wife is up north, This is what I spent the last 4 or 5 days working on. I have a customer who want's another WOPL (which I had already built a couple months back) and he wanted a preamp to go with it so here are his choices..... A C-1 and a 4000t..... whichever Pre he decides on, I get the other for my home system (yes, my amp and pre got bought out from under me again).

View attachment 38435 View attachment 38437
Money is a temptation hard to resist, sold a few guitars I built for myself over the years and said I'll just build another, better one for me.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Money is a temptation hard to resist, sold a few guitars I built for myself over the years and said I'll just build another, better one for me.
It wasn't a money thing really. At times, my amps sell faster than I can build them. I got so many projects right now I'm glad I built up 3 WOPL's for stock. Down to 1 now and 1 left to build (after the 2 pre's and 3 Carver amps, and 2 old school receivers and a beautiful Yamaha cassette deck that I spent all kinds of time on) just to have it die after 3 hours of constant recording.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It wasn't a money thing really. At times, my amps sell faster than I can build them. I got so many projects right now I'm glad I built up 3 WOPL's for stock. Down to 1 now and 1 left to build (after the 2 pre's and 3 Carver amps, and 2 old school receivers and a beautiful Yamaha cassette deck that I spent all kinds of time on) just to have it die after 3 hours of constant recording.

The motor on the cassette deck quit motoring..... 1 motor, 4 belts...... took over 8 hours of tearing it apart, cleaning all the old grease out, installing belts, and reassembly.... Hopefully it is a voltage in the power supply that disappeared...

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
If I had the money one of your WOPL's would be playing right now in my house and so I could follow it when I rebuild my own PL's the right way.

Last edited: