Bad Boy SAE A1001 is Mine

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I don't know what you paid for it but, it's worth the money :thumbright:

I'm a fanatic because they sound so musical, get out of the way. I haven't heard a WOPL yet and, the Logans are not a good match for these big SAE's, wicked, nasty load for the amp. My baby A202 sings like a bird, just no nth degree of grunt on peaks. My partner John was like..."can it play any louder"? So I paid $2,300 for the big bad boy, only to find out it is not a match. Yeah, I need better cables and cooling but, why? I'm happy with lowish levels and nice musical sound.

What speakers are you doing this test with Perry? I await your test, and understand your bias to the PL's like most here.

Do mind your back and have a hand cart to move it, 90lbs ain't no joke brother and, most of that is towards the front where the trannies are :toothy5:
I
Was in te right place at the right time for once and got this cherry for $1700. I can bring a WOPL up to you for audition anytime. All you gots to do is ask. I'll come up and meet you and John for beers and let you beat on a Clair for a couple ours if you so desire. Im going to do the test with my CornScala's first and then with the Epicure 3.0

After listening to a WOPL for the last year, i should be able to hear the difference right away. You should NOT be stuck with "Lowish Levels" if you can help it although the neighbors probably dont mind. You should be able to hear the difference too if we inserted a WOPL into your system. Cables? Hell I'll use monster and love every minute. Most people's hearing is too shitty to tell the difference.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
$1,700?!?! Damn Perry, kick ass deal :iconbiggrin:

I'm looking forward to a get together and hearing a WOPL and seeing your face when you hear the 'Slabs :twisted: . since the sound comes from everywhere, lowish levels to me is quite high for most folks, it's all different for everyone.

When does your P500 arrive?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
$1,700?!?! Damn Perry, kick ass deal :iconbiggrin:

I'm looking forward to a get together and hearing a WOPL and seeing your face when you hear the 'Slabs :twisted: . since the sound comes from everywhere, lowish levels to me is quite high for most folks, it's all different for everyone.

When does your P500 arrive?
It will be here wed. Shit, a wooden crate and 100lbs??? Hard to hide that from the wife eh???

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
It will be here wed. Shit, a wooden crate and 100lbs??? Hard to hide that from the wife eh???
"Really honey, that's a stair climber I got you for this coming xmas... you know how you always wanted one?"

(and then he gets in even deeper kimchee when she throws the "ya think I'm fat, don't ya??" line.. heheh)

:toothy5::glasses1:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
:twisted: BrawHahaha! Sooo excited for you!! I know I don't need to tell ya to keep the crate in case you don't like it. I think you will indeedy!! A true piece of audio history, one of the biggest, baddest of them all. Take no prisoners design. Most were used for sound reinforcement at concerts and clubs back in the day...and beat to shit, yours is a beauty :thumbright:

Keeping the inputs on the far sides of the chassis from each other is one of many nice details. Although it limits your cable options. Keeps the noise floor low. I hope you have a couple strong young men to set her in place, watch your back bro!! I've thrown mine out a couple times just moving it slightly to put footers under it, no joke :eek:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I knew I could count on you guys.... Anyhoo I had to help the fedex guy carry it to the house. I'm going to try to get it on the bench tomorrow so I can compare test results with the last few WOPL's. The test results don't lie. Same tests I run on the WOPL's. Then, I'll hook up the speakers and see how it sounds. Can't wait to play....

It was packed like a mofo.... Wooden crate and all. Cost me $100+ to ship it. Sherry already named her "Precious". She was carrying some stuff into the house and I shielded the amp without even realizing it...

Oh, thats not a dent, it's drool......................

IMG_20170308_184904188.jpg IMG_20170308_194313588.jpg IMG_20170308_185618249.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Navo....I wonder if she'll ever get to the "....it was late,I was drunk, and they were nice...." stage...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Pulled a few results from the tests. The results are from the exact tests I ran on the Clair WOPL's. The SAE Amp is no slouch.

SAE P-500 gain is higher at 32db...... The wopl was 30db Phase Lag is .06 degrees (wopl .11 degrees) SAE WINNER

SAE P-500 Cross talk is cleaner by -5db SAE WINNER

S/N It was a wash at .001%

THD+Noise P-500 is -82db WOPL is -70db SAE WINNER

Don't believe what you hear from the unknowing.

I'm running it for a while and then on to the speaker test. From what I have already heard this morning, this amp sounds excellent. Am I a convert from the WOPL??? Hardly..... But this amp deserves a spot on the rack. Imagine what would happen if the caps were changed out and the amp was all tweaked in.... Hmmmmmm

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I wonder if Joe will take up the challenge with this to make the WOPL spec better. Most of what I see from these tests is inaudible right Perry?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
all this stuff is negligible to the human hearing. Really when you get down to it, the difference in the numbers aint squat. Just wanted to dispel some rumors about the SAE. I'll post what my ears tell me a bit later.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
On Craigs slabs you could tell the SAE was quiet and powerful. I'm still betting you like the WOPL sound...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
On Craigs slabs you could tell the SAE was quiet and powerful. I'm still betting you like the WOPL sound...
Yup, it's gonna be hard to knock the WOPL from it's spot in my system. Besides, the SAE won't fit into my rack and the weight of it would shatter the glass shelves.... Hmmmm

I know Craig loves his amp. The next step would be to bring one of my Enforcers down to his place and see what it will do for his ML's. We'll convert him yet. I'll take his SAE and use 2 in bridged mode....... :)