Bad Boy SAE A1001 is Mine

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
I'm not sure if it 'doubles down' into 4ohms but, yeah, buttloads of current :happy2:

Since the Summit's have powered dual woofers, the amp only drives the panels rated at 300 watts continuous power. As we all know here at PHX I don't need this much power....:toothy5: But power corrupts absolutely :hello1: !!!!

Nando, it's waaay to big and heavy to go on a rack, it's staying on the floor with some spikes to the concrete floor, It needs some venting under it, it runs cool, very nice design for the heatsinks and 48 transformers!
I can't recall, did you have to make AC electrical changes (like a dedicated circuit) to your abode to handle this beast?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I can't recall, did you have to make AC electrical changes (like a dedicated circuit) to your abode to handle this beast?
I thought I might have had to but, Steve looked at the pics of the breaker box and circuits I sent and it's all good to go (20amps needed and this old house was wired right). Only thing is needs to be plugged into the upgraded plug and not a power strip. So I guess during our monsoon lightening storms she will be unplugged...

In a perfect world yeah, dedicated for the amp and each speaker is ideal, maybe a move is in order? lotta work there :shaking:

fitz43

I thought I might have had to but, Steve looked at the pics of the breaker box and circuits I sent and it's all good to go (20amps needed and this old house was wired right). Only thing is needs to be plugged into the upgraded plug and not a power strip. So I guess during our monsoon lightening storms she will be unplugged...

In a perfect world yeah, dedicated for the amp and each speaker is ideal, maybe a move is in order? lotta work there :shaking:
thanks.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAE-A1001-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Soon to be at Casa De La stu, well after Stephen picks it up in LA and plays with it for awhile, thanks Stephen for everything!! He said he'll loan me a Jeff Rowland high current amp to compare my new baby with, just for slaps and giggles. What fun that's gonna be!

I talked with the seller this afternoon, nice feller, retired SAE marketing rep from back in the day. He and Stephen may have crossed paths before, small world. I'm sure they'll have a wonderful meeting!

I think I got a hellova deal, it's very nice cosmetically, was probably barely used in a overkill system.

Craig, I got a surprise showing up in a week or so. Nice ddition to my collection.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Not a scratch on her... P-500 though (same-O same-O)...... Just has a beefier chassis, and volume knobs on the front. Maybe from your guy out in Ca....

thumbnail_SAM_1233.jpg thumbnail_SAM_1231.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Tis easier to ask forgiveness than get permission....

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Just Gotta Have

Awesome SAE amplifier, Perry. You will get it worked out with the Mrs.. Good thing you didn't spring for a bouquet of roses, beforehand, because that would have tipped her off to initiate a stop-payment on your purchase.

Nando.

stuwee

Jealous Damn!! That is from my guy in CA, he only buys and sells the best of the best, nice grab Perry!

You will love it, with normal speakers it is the bomb :twisted:

Give yourself a couple hours if you open her up, hundreds of screws, I'd do it like restoring a vintage car, label everything, take pics, take your time...be prepared to be amazed at what you see inside...faint hearts not allowed :eek:

Congrats!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Oh, I agree, a bad ass amp if ever there was one......but in sound quality......i think the WOPL has the edge....YMMV.....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Im gonna do a blind taste test against a WOPL. If it doesn't cut the mustard, shes a boat anchor.
It's not going to sound as good but then again, we are totally spoiled. Not too many amps can compare to the sonics of a WOPL. The SAE definitely is a great amp and worthy of a spot in the collection so I don't see it ever being a boat anchor though, your "lakes" are only a foot or two deep LMAO!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It's not going to sound as good but then again, we are totally spoiled. Not too many amps can compare to the sonics of a WOPL. The SAE definitely is a great amp and worthy of a spot in the collection so I don't see it ever being a boat anchor though, your "lakes" are only a foot or two deep LMAO!!!

Yeah,I'd have to drive a couple hours to find a lake. Then, it's only 2 feet deep and no need for an anchor.

stuwee

I don't know what you paid for it but, it's worth the money :thumbright:

I'm a fanatic because they sound so musical, get out of the way. I haven't heard a WOPL yet and, the Logans are not a good match for these big SAE's, wicked, nasty load for the amp. My baby A202 sings like a bird, just no nth degree of grunt on peaks. My partner John was like..."can it play any louder"? So I paid $2,300 for the big bad boy, only to find out it is not a match. Yeah, I need better cables and cooling but, why? I'm happy with lowish levels and nice musical sound.

What speakers are you doing this test with Perry? I await your test, and understand your bias to the PL's like most here.

Do mind your back and have a hand cart to move it, 90lbs ain't no joke brother and, most of that is towards the front where the trannies are :toothy5: