700 RCA Grounding

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The coax shield is the ground Im referring to ... The 220K resistors are shown on the white oaks "single point ground scheme"
I don't use the copper strip or any of that stuff. The direct switch is omitted (still in place, not connected).

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Paradigm Signature S8's ...... Thinking this weekend or maybe tomorrow I will pull it apart again and post some pics ? and hope for a revelation !
Thanks for the input tonight ... I will post and update ....

Cheers

I think you were going to add some pics???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The coax shield is the ground Im referring to ... The 220K resistors are shown on the white oaks "single point ground scheme"
If I remember correctly, this would be for a partial upgrade. I build total WOPL amps and much of that is not installed for a complete upgrade with a DCP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Any benefit either way to use the "normal/ direct" switch ckt or would you delete it all together ?

Normal mode kicks a 1uf cap in series with the input, stripping any DC that may be in the signal from the source...Direct bypasses this cap..

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ok Thank you ! Im gonna' pull things apart this weekend and get at it .....
Thanks for all your input .....
That wiring diagram from 2013 does not relate to how this amp is REALLY wired. Just as an example, it shows rail power from the bulk caps to the control board. That is not how the amp is wired.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ok Thank you ! Im gonna' pull things apart this weekend and get at it .....
Thanks for all your input .....

also, it does not show star ground going from the left back plane center hole with 3 ground wires going to the DCP, the 1 ground wire going from the same place to the bulk caps copper strip, and the 2 ground wires going from the copper strip to the left channel ground points, nor the 2 ground wires from the right channel back plane to the star ground point in the center of the Left channel back plane, nor the ground wire going from the star ground point in the center of the left channel back plane to the light board. If you wired your amp according to that drawing, it is wrong.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
I originally did the WOPL 4 years ago.... and it didn't seem that bad. I have now ventured into using a DSP and working on a tri amp setup.
As I was moving amps in and out I discovered that my currently stock 400 has way less hiss that the wopl 700B ....swapped out a crown xls 202 and same deal , both amps less no load noise than the 700.... I only came across that drawing recently , that has made me think !. .Hmmmm
I did or at least tried to follow the White Oaks instruction that were sent out at the time... Something is a miss ... Do I have a ground where it isn't needed... Missing one ? Dunno! Hopefully someone has a schematic or drawing I can look over .... ;)

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I appreciate your wanting to do it right. You can search this forum and get much useful info on the subject.
Joe posted in this thread some years ago about star grounding.
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/zachs-700b-thread.3477/page-9#post-62249

He also produced the attached image of circuit without DCP

I think you have been given some better info within this thread on the subject as well. Please to do your own searching on the subject

Attachments

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
I just opened the link you posted . AWESOME ! Thank you but do we have this kind of clarification when using the backplane boards also ?

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Those 2 schematics of the ground scheme are deceiving. I would not use them for a 700B/II COMPLETLY WOPL'D AMP........ They may work for a partial wopl but not for one with a complete back plane kit, a complete control board kit, and a DCP from Wattsabundant.

Those schematics look like a 700 with a control board upgrade only.

IF, it was also back planes, it would show the ground point from where EVERYTHING gets connected (the center post for the left channel back plane......) When I build a WOPL, I have probably 7 ground wires which attach to the left channel center hole mounting point. There are a thousand pics here in the WOPL section showing that ground scheme. You gotta LOOK!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The ONLY grounds you should have are seen here on the left channel back plane. 3 for the DCP, 2 for the right channel back plane, 1 for the bulk cap ground strap, and 1 for the light board which can go to the strap or the star. the direct switch should be eliminated, and the copper crap and all that junk for the zoebel up in the right corner should all be gone.

IMG_5950rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
if you are not running a WattsAbundant DCP, get rid of what you are running, and spend the $99.

It's well worth is, built like a tank, and is pretty much made to run with the WOPL.... Anything else is just junk..... This takes all the guess work out of the wiring since WA show show to wire it with a WOPL........

NUFF SAID

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Perry I don't do that.. when did it become the standard? I'm thinking when the mono rev G came out?

I run all to the cap buss bar, except the one single ground to that left hand tie point. Must have been a revision since me last build, which has been a good while..

We need Sir Joe here to clear some cornfusing up..

The ONLY grounds you should have are seen here on the left channel back plane. 3 for the DCP, 2 for the right channel back plane, 1 for the bulk cap ground strap, and 1 for the light board which can go to the strap or the star. the direct switch should be eliminated, and the copper crap and all that junk for the zoebel up in the right corner should all be gone.

View attachment 37752

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
if you are not running a WattsAbundant DCP, get rid of what you are running, and spend the $99.

It's well worth is, built like a tank, and is pretty much made to run with the WOPL.... Anything else is just junk..... This takes all the guess work out of the wiring since WA show show to wire it with a WOPL........

NUFF SAID
+1... Lee didn't you have one trip and when it did, it really did some smoking on the traces of the DCP - basically sacrificing it but hey that's a shitload better than having to replace entire banks of outputs.

Also guys think about the instantaneous current through the relay contacts just prior to them disengaging, when a failure happens. Running a relay rated at 2 amps is likely going to fuse em, and here comes the 100+ volts right through to yer speaks.