700 RCA Grounding

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
Paradigm Signature S8's ...... Thinking this weekend or maybe tomorrow I will pull it apart again and post some pics ? and hope for a revelation !
Thanks for the input tonight ... I will post and update ....

Cheers

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I am doing a couple of D500’s at this time. The stock unit has the RCAs threaded into the heat sink and this is the ground path for the control board. I have drilled out those holes to except fiber washers and now has Star grounding. On step I am doing is running a twisted pair with shielding for the signal internally. I not do not tie each channel ground wires together. This gives a ground that is true mono for each channel. Just a little thing but what I like.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayne

New Around These Parts
Hi all again.
Today I believe all chassis should be grounded thru a three prong ac cord as I did when upgrading my PL with the WO new boards and backplane kit.
There's a good chance that transformer can short to ground being old.
The guys told me not to do because of ground loop problems.
I feel safer having all equipment attaching to amplifier is best.
If a ground loop should occur, try trouble shooting the cause rather than having unsafe equipment.
I have no problems with hum with my system.
Wayne

Wayne

New Around These Parts
In above paragraph number five it should of read; l feel safer having all my equipment grounded to earth than floating where shocks can occur.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Carver, PL and a shitload of other manufacturers used the 2 prong system for a reason. Grounding Willy-Nilly is not recommended. Even our resident engineer say's "Don't Do It".... Just saying.....

;)

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
I forgot to mention that I have the Watt's Abundant DC protect board installed .... What are your opinions of this addition ?
Some have stated that it just wouldn't be fast enough in the "real world" and one is better off with doing some math and selecting
a fuse for protection.... Has Joe ever put his seal of approval on this gizmo ?

Wayne

New Around These Parts
Well as with all direct coupled amplifier,their should be some protection on speaker lines.
I'm using a different manufacturer Dcp board and probably the fuses could also be used.
Couldn't hurt.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have a very expensive set of severely modded K-horns. I have blown outputs on a 700 going full tilt boogie with Don's board. It worked as advertised. No harm to the speaks..

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
I may be off topic for this posting but as we are talking about testing for hum and hiss issues ... I am thinking of buying a DSO ... 'Scope "... The frontrunners are the Rigol DS1054Z 4 channel... and the Siglent SDS1202X-E 2 channel.. The Silgent is way faster at 200 Mhz... Does any one have an opinion either way ?

Last edited:

mlucitt

A 100Mhz scope is plenty fast enough for working with audio circuits, much cheaper too. I would rather have 4 channels than another 100 Mhz.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So it’s your build but there is the perfect fit part from Watts abundant. It is supported by Bolting into the four binding post. As well contains the Zobel network highlighted in the photo. This is removed when using the WhiteOaks back plate.

Attachments