Micro Seiki DQX-500 Turntable resto-mod

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
If you can get molybdenum wire that fine I think it would have the highest tensile strength.

Otherwise, Kevlar thread. I had some to use as a drive for my old turntable design but no idea where it is now. (Probably in a box with the motor and other bits I was collecting)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Human hair is roughly 0.003 inch.

A single edge razor is about 0.007 inch. (Used those as neck shims sometimes)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Hold on, I got this. 5x tippet is .006 inch, 6x is .005 inch, 3x is .008 if Dad's old H. L. Leonard leaders and my spool of 5x tippet material are to be believed. Get to your nearest BassPro/Cabelas/Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. and look in the fly fishing section to sample the spools of tippet material and get the size you think would work best. Dad's old 3X Leonard's feel a little stiff to me but 5x feels flimsier than the monofilament SME used on a 3009 arm I had on a Rek-O-Kut table as a kid in high school. 4x maybe? Try some - at $5 or $6 per spool, you can afford to experiment.

Edit: ignore the tapered leaders, get the spool(s) of tippet material. Cheaper and more of each size.

IMG_2846.jpg IMG_2847.jpg

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Hold on, I got this. 5x tippet is .006 inch, 6x is .005 inch, 3x is .008 if Dad's old H. L. Leonard leaders and my spool of 5x tippet material are to be believed. Get to your nearest BassPro/Cabelas/Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. and look in the fly fishing section to sample the spools of tippet material and get the size you think would work best. Dad's old 3X Leonard's feel a little stiff to me but 5x feels flimsier than the monofilament SME used on a 3009 arm I had on a Rek-O-Kut table as a kid in high school. 4x maybe? Try some - at $5 or $6 per spool, you can afford to experiment.

Edit: ignore the tapered leaders, get the spool(s) of tippet material. Cheaper and more of each size.

View attachment 60969 View attachment 60970
Thanks, that was my original thought but had no idea what to look for. Going to try the Tippet and the Silk thread, one of them should work.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The 707 was on my short list…

I may collect parts for the 505 Mk. III, since it uses the same base- literally drop-in. Later…

VIVA LA MICRO!

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Should have taken more pictures but there are differences between the one that came on the TT and the stand alone unit. Nothing major but the main bearing housings are slightly different, one is in a brass sleeve and the other a chromed brass sleeve, the chromed sleeve places the bearings further apart, also the wiring is different. The stand alone unit has the normal four wires the other has six wires that includes two separate grounds.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Should have taken more pictures but there are differences between the one that came on the TT and the stand alone unit. Nothing major but the main bearing housings are slightly different, one is in a brass sleeve and the other a chromed brass sleeve, the chromed sleeve places the bearings further apart, also the wiring is different. The stand alone unit has the normal four wires the other has six wires that includes two separate grounds.

Love the pen holder...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There is no clear answer that I could find out there but i was trying to determine the significance/difference in the “X” suffix, and no suffix arms.

I did notice that the “X” suffix headshells have coaxial leads for the cartridge, and I believe they used it within the arm as well,where they could, but maybe not. The pivot area would be a problem but I can’t pin anything down otherwise.

I am reasonably certain it is not silver wire- popular theory is that is the “S” suffix arm, but one first hand account I read from a rewire, indicated silver plated copper wire as opposed to solid silver. Still nice and maybe even audible… due to signal amplitude I would expect subtle changes to be more audible here than elsewhere.